My HRM

Options
I have a pretty generic HRM with calorie counter. Here is my question - On somedays mostly the last 2 weeks I will wear it throughout the day and when I get home I am lucky to have it say that I burned 700-900 calories. (this was during my plateau) Well the last 2 days which happen to be the days that the scale has finally moved down, my HRM has said that I am burning 2600 or more calories. Like right now I have had it on for 5 hours and 20 minutes and it says i have burned 1924 calories. Has anyone else had this happen? I hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks for the input.

Replies

• FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure about your daily measurements but are you wearing it for just daytime normal use rather than exercise? Because I believe that they aren't very good at picking up an accurate calorie burn unless your heart rate is raised, so I wouldn't think either measurement is very accurate...I could be wrong though :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    what kind do you have>? most won't be accurate for long wearing... that is what i was told... i would be curious to see how many i burn on a actual day.....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your really wanting something like a fitbit if you want to measure daily activity. An HRM would do that at all accurately.
  • peanutswife
    peanutswife Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wear it throughout the day just to get an idea of what my body is doing. I also use it when I work out to get accurate numbers on my calorie burn. I have a sportline from walmart.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I wear it throughout the day just to get an idea of what my body is doing. I also use it when I work out to get accurate numbers on my calorie burn. I have a sportline from walmart.

Is it the one with the chest strap or the wrist only one where you have to press the button on it?

If it doesn't have a chest strap it's not going to be accurate unless you are checking your heart rate every five minutes. The wrist only ones don't constantly take your heart rate... the ones with the chest strap do.

So, if it's a wrist only one and you checked your heart rate when it was raised the watch will continue to think your heart rate is higher and show calories burned based on that even if you are just sitting and your heart rate is much lower.