thoughts on stronglifts program?

Options
Basically this is the program, you do each exercise for 5 sets, each set you use enough weight so you can do a max of 5 reps

workout A
Squat
Bench Press
Barbell row

workout b
Squat
SHoulder press
deadlift

week(wk) 1 you would do Workout A one day, rest a day, than do Workout B, rest a day then do workout A and rest 2 days

wk 2 you would do workout B one day, rest a day, than do workout A, rest a day, than do workout B rest 2 days

Wk3=WK1

Wk4= wk2

thoughts on if this is effective? (no isolation exercises (no bicep curls, etc), you squat every session, etc.)

I need to try something new and thinking to give this a shot

I think I have been overtraining

Replies

• Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    if you search the forums there are alot of threads on this. I posted a thread about this just the other day and heard nothing but good things about it
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is all that 90% of people lifting need to do. Probably could get away with less squatting though (2 times vs. this programs 3) but the program works as it is designed.

No need for isolation, as the pull work back, bicep, forearm and core, where the pushed work chest, shoulders and triceps with some core, and squats and dead work the full lower body and core.

You can also check out Starting Strength, quite similar but it is a 3x5 program instead of 5x5. Both are great. I am starting a new routine similar to these but am throwing in some isolation at the end of each workout.
  • jdavison91
    Options
    I have just finished the Starting Strength program which follows very similar principles (although with warm-up sets working up to the working set weight) and I am planning to start the Strong Lifts program next week. I had tremendous results in the 8 weeks of Starting Strength.

Increased Squat from 180 to 270
    Increased Bench Press from 120 to 195
    Increased Shoulder Press from 100 to 165
    Increased Deadlift from 140 to 210

I modified the program to slow progression a little bit instead of increasing weight every session, but I was still able to progress throughout the 8 week program. I certainly recommend this method of training if you are interested in strengthening you major muscle groups. The idea is to build core strength and then move to isolation exercises as you progress. There are lots of different thoughts on this method of strength training, but it certainly has been working for me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's absoluteluy fine, especially for someone new to weight lifting or someone looking for a solid base for their workout plan. Compound movements will give you the best overall results vs. time invested so the foundation is solid. Isolation work can come later when you're comfortable with your compound lifts and decide which areas you'd like to focus on.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It's awesome. I did it for 12 weeks, saw consistent gains (not even starting raw bar like they recommend), and have numbers I am very happy with now that I've moved on. At roughly 190 lbs I ended up working 5x5 with:

squat: 250
    bench: 195
    OHP: 135
    Dead: 325
    Row: 190
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would also say that I don't agree with those who say that it's designed to "work up to isolation exercises" or any similarly-themed statement. The whole theory behind both SS and SL is that you ONLY need compound heavy lifts to train strength. Isolation exercises are really pretty pointless unless you hope to do bodybuilding. The only thing I could think of that one might want to throw in on top of the SS or SL program is chins once in awhile.
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    Options
    well the way I normally was wokring out was day splits

Shoudlers one day (Presses, lateral raises, front raises, upright rows, shrugs)
    Back one day (Pullups, deadlifts, rowing machine, pulldowns)
    Chest (bench press, incline BP, wide weighted dips)

Legs (squats, extensions, curls, calf raises, lunges)
    Bicep / tricep / forearm- (curls / push downs, incline seated curls / dumbell tricep presse, preacher curls / french presses, forearm curls)

so I have expereince...I just felt like *kitten* the last few weeks, so been taking a break and thinking to come back with strong lifts

thanks all for the info ....I appreciate any more
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    Options
    any other feedback?
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump