Gluconeogenesis

Options
emisu2
emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
I have been doing the low-carb (Atkins) or ketogenic thing because it works for me. I have been taking supplements and vitamins, but today I got really really tired. I felt hypoglycemic. I hadn't had any carbs since Tuesday, just protein and fat. I knew just drinking sports drinks and taking B12 wouldn't help that much because I've tried that.

But then... I found out that your body can make glucose out of protein through a process called gluconeogenesis. So I had an Atkins shake with 10 grams of protein. An hour later I feel so much better! It was only 140 calories.

I found out that I can eat protein to get my blood sugar back up. Here is the shake I had:

http://www.atkins.com/Products/Morning-Snack-Light-Breakfast-–-Day-Break/Atkins-Day-Break-Wild-Berry-Shake.aspx

I am thinking of getting a blood sugar meter just to see if I can prove this is happening. But even after my shake I'm still in ketosis as I was before I drank it.

I am thinking of finding another forum for low-carbers because I don't think there are a lot of them here.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    or, you could just eat carbs
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think that you're right. There aren't a lot of people on Atkins or any other type of "diet" on here because this isn't necessarily for "dieters". If you're open to the suggestion... MFP is for creating lifelong changes in eating and exercise habits. It's been my experience that diets like Atkins are nearly impossible to keep up for the long haul. It is very very hard to cut out an entire food group for the rest of your life. The purpose of MFP is to create lifelong exercisers and teach you how to eat without having to resort to Atkins or other "diets".

I think that if you are receptive to it, that MFP can help you learn how to eat carbs (I have PCOS, and my body doesn't process carbs the way most people's bodies do....but I also realize that eliminating an entire food group isn't reasonable) and other things in moderation.
  • Raechel_R
    Raechel_R Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can also look up people who are saying they are on the Paleo diet as it is the same thing. The way we used to east pre our ability to machine grains as we do and such. There are websites dedicated to this with recipes etc. Saw them on Buzz at work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!