Question for my tatted up peeps

JaySpice
JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
Hellur.

I plan on starting strength training on Monday...and plan on getting a tatt by the 15th of the month.

My question - Do you advise this? Will the tatt + strength training = can't move my arm to even wipe my tookus? I'm also wondering if it will effect the healing process.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Depends on how much you get and where. When I did my sleeve I couldn't lift for 2 weeks because of the tattoo healing. Not that you shouldn't start lifting weights yet, by all means start. Just be careful or work other areas while the tattoo is healing.
  • The healing question would be one to ask your artist, but I have two tattoos and was only sore for a couple of hours after I had them done. Well, and the skin was a little tender for a day or two, but it was pretty mild.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    As long as you keep A&D ointment on your tattoo and dont let it get too dry then I think you should be fine. My arm didnt hurt after I got my tattoo but everybodys preception of pain is different.
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Its been a few years since I got my last tattoo but if memory serves me you're probably going to want to be careful for at least a few days after getting it. I don't know where you're planning on getting it or how big but either way it will be sore. You need to think of it as an open wound that needs to heal.
  • MeliciousGibson
    MeliciousGibson Posts: 248 Member
    How big are you getting your tat? Usmcmp is right - your skin is effectively being "cut" to put ink underneath the layers of dermis...it will react like a cut/road rash.

I just got another tat on the 21st on the inside of my wrist. The only thing that made any difference is that the skin where it's tatted will feel tight and sore. I made sure to wash it with antibacterial soap after every workout and apply an antibiotic ointment to it whenever it felt like it was dry. Not a lot, just enough to keep it from scabbing over too bad.

None of my other tats are anywhere that I had to worry about them during training or working out.

Congrats on your tat, by the way!
  • Browny43
    Browny43 Posts: 124 Member
    Do you have any other tattoos, I have from my left shoulder to about 2 inches my elbow and my arm wasn't that bad to move. I don't think it'll affect it. A&D should help
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Depends on where you're getting it, but if it's on a part of your body that flexes/moves when you lift, just take it easy for a few days. I got the first part of my back piece done in early summer last year. I was annoyed by fabric rubbing against it, even with gauze and ointment (it is large). It was fine after a few days.

Keep it really clean, covered when exercising and use A&D. Be sure the healing process gets off on the right start--ask your artist for his recommendation. If he says to lay off doing certain things, you can always modify your routine.