Drop in resting HR.. lightheaded

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
So as part of my fitness goals I wanted to lower my resting HR. It appears I've done this, yay.

But.. I've been slightly lightheaded/dizzy since last night, took my pulse after doing some google search and found it to be between 56-60 bpm. Prior to my fitness ramping up in the last 3 months I have been at 72bpm for years. Haven't checked my BP today, but last time I was at the doc about a month ago it was down to 110/62, consistently 120/80 for years.

Could this just be my body adjusting to the new lower rate? Has anyone had this happen when they started getting in shape? I'm supposed to go to the gym tonight but hesitant until this clears up. I feel fine otherwise, maybe more tired than normal.

I'm not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Replies

• jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this as well, but only when going from a sitting position to standing up. Mum's a doctor and checked my BP and it was normal. I'm hoping it'll sort itself out. Would like to hear others' views on this though.
  • dokihara
    dokihara Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Could also be you are not eating / drinking enough? I know if I push myself really hard in a workout, I can feel light headed an hour or so later. If I eat something / drink a lot of water it helps.

Maybe a HRM will be useful when exercising, so you don't stay at Max heart rate for too long.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Well, it started last night and yesterday was a full rest day, had been riding around running errands. I'm eating plenty today but yesterday was a late and light lunch (errands) this could be it, just thought it would have resolved by this morning or afternoon.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, it may be orthostatic hypotension. my doc recommended i get more sodium
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have always had low blood pressure (96/62 last i checked) and experience this quite frequently. Doctor recommended NOT cutting sodium and staying well hydrated. I also have had issues with anemia (low iron) which will also make you light headed and tired, doctor recommended a mutivitamin to prevent that. So make sure your aren't cutting your sodium too low, drink lots of water and check your iron intake. Hope you get it resolved! :flowerforyou: