Anyone else swimming for weight loss??

Options
I started swimming 2 wks ago and I love it. For the first time I dont feel like im exercising. Well not dreading that walk in the heat or home work-outs. I wanted friends with similar interests to talk about exercises in the pool, etc.

Replies

• flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I swim three times a week! I love it!!! Feel free to add me!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great workout, works everypart of your body! I actually lost a lot of weight one summer from swimming everyday.... I'm from PHX, AZ so I know heat!!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I actually don't swim for exercise (yet), I'm a runner and a biker, but I just signed up for my first triathlon, so I need to start swimming. If you don't mind adding me as a friend, I would love to see what kind of exercises and routines you incorporate! Maybe eventually I will also have something to contribute...
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    As I don't like running, and my knees hate it I decided to do a couch to 5K but in the pool rather than running.

Managed a 5K swim none stop a couple of weeks ago after only being able to swim about 100m none stop at the start of the year, (but you have just added me as a friend)
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I swim three or four times a week I love it keep it up its a great calorie burner xx
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I did after we got a pool last fall and I will be again as soon as we get it cleaned up and going again. Awesome workout without feeling too much like a workout. Love it!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I do, but I don't have a structured plan. Sometimes I even just play the 'game' where I can do anything I want except touch the bottom or sides of the pool. :)

You have to watch out for the crazy hungries afterwards. ALWAYS have a healthy snack planned for afterwards! Oh yeah, and even though you won't be super thirsty make sure you drink plenty of water.
  • jenniboo311
    jenniboo311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing water aerobics for the past few weeks and I'm loving it! Up until now I kept trying to drag myself to the gym and would give up after a couple weeks. But with water aerobics I'm actually having fun! Not only that, I feel refreshed and have a sense of well being afterward that I just never used to get with the gym. I just feel good! But I guess everyone has their own thing, and I'm glad I've finally found mine!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Good for you, especially abs. Also works shoulders and legs. However, swimming boosts your appetite more than other aerobic exercises. Still, if it is working keep doing it.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I do a sort of HIIT in the pool, where I do a lap of breaststroke, then a lap of freestyle, and alternate for either 0.5km of 1km (depending on what else I've done and how I'm feeling). It's also a 5k round trip walk to the gym, so I definitely get my calorie burn in when I go!
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Swimmers! Two (possibly dumb) questions:

1) if you wear a cap, does it keep your hair dry so that chlorine (to avoid dryness)?

2) if you wear goggles, does it keep water out of your contacts (to avoid infection)?

THANK YOU!
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 2 times a week, adding a 3rd day starting tomorrow. I also feel very refreshed after and don't feel like I killed myself doing a workout! I was thinking about trying to just swim some laps from time to time as well. I'm a fish when it comes to water. When I was a kid, my parents couldnt keep me out of the pool :)
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for summer to get here so I can start swimming and reap the exercise benefits. :)
    My gym has an indoor and an outdoor pool, but so far I have yet to make it to a water aerobics class. I prefer the privacy of my parents' pool, but don't have anything structured that I do there. Anyone have something they really, really recommend that works for them?
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My sister and I do an Olympic distance triathlon each summer. I just got back in the pool this morning. I LOVE it! :)
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    does swimming actually work?? how many calories can you burn swimming for an hour? just having fun? im bout to move in to an apt with 2 pools! I live in phx so ive been DIEING to go swimming everyday!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    does swimming actually work?? how many calories can you burn swimming for an hour? just having fun? im bout to move in to an apt with 2 pools! I live in phx so ive been DIEING to go swimming everyday!

It really depends on what you do. For my age/weight/AHR during swimming, I can burn around 250 calories per half hour. A lot depends on how I feel and how much effort I put in (which is all contingent on what I've done the day or two before), but it's going to be way different based on the person and what strokes you're doing.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Maaan, I miss swimming. My old gym had a pool and that was my main exercise. But then I moved away from that area and my new gym doesn't have a poooool.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love swimming! Feel free to add me. I usually swim 2-3 times a week if I can squeeze it in! I love doing laps. It doesn't even feel like I'm workout out! :)
  • hellokitty1313
    hellokitty1313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, i havent started yet but i'm going to start swimming on the weekends, i was wondering if it is efficient and burns enough calories for me to not do any other exercise that day because i dread running for a whole hour:/ :indifferent: