Shin splints

Options
missheidi
missheidi Posts: 465 Member
I've been wogging, (walking and jogging) for a few months now, and i've worked up to a five min run with a 1 min walk, sometimes a bit more. problem is, i've started getting shin splints a bit. i'm icing now, after my run, and did some ibuprophen. I took a week off, but they were still sore afterwards. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My shins hurt so bad after a run it hurts to walk for a couple of days. Make sure you stretch your calves, ice your shins and get some rest. I have done some research and another exercise they suggest is writing the alphabet with your foot to strengthen those little muscles. Also, check your shoes. That is a big part of it.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoes. Each time I start getting shin splints I need new shoes.
  • Odekwe
    Odekwe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Shoes make a huge difference. Consider going to a running specialty store and having them fit you. They can match you up with the best pair or shoes for your arch and gait and you'll be much more comfortable running.
    I had to take a couple of weeks off when I had shin splits. You might want to rest a bit more and back off on the running a bit when you start back up. It sucks to have to back track a bit, but you don't want to injure yourself further.
    Good luck on the running.:smile:
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    I used to have severe shin splint problems (when running, the faster and fitter I got - the worse my shins hurt).

I highly recommend going to see a foot doctor to see if you need orthotics. A triathlete friend of mine told me that "it all starts with the feet". She was right.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i have orthotics, and i've been fitted with good shoes 6 months ago. i'll just take a little longer off.