Which is better??

Options
sinisme
sinisme Posts: 148 Member
Is it better to jog outside on a track or is it better to do a treadmil?

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    define "better". I prefer the treadmill... for several reasons:
    1 - it's easier on my joints than the road
    2 - I don't have to worry about cars, unleashed dogs, potholes, curbs, etc.
    3 - no matter how far I walk - my bathroom is still 13 steps away.
    4 - I can walk whenever the mood strikes me - like 3 AM for instance.
    5 - No one outside of my family has to hear me sing, watch me dance to my songs, or jiggle when I decide to jog.
    6 - I never get rained on, snowed on, sunburnt, funky tan lines, etc.
    6 - On my treadmill, in my house, it's all about me.

Benefits of walking outside, however include - more scenery, fresh air, more variety in inclines, lack of boredom....

I walk for exercise on my treadmill and for mental clarity and entertainment on the road. IF I had a local track that was cushiony - I would love to try that!
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    I always do the treadmill b/c it's more convenient.... I go on my lunch break so I have an allotted time everyday for running..... however, I would rather run on the road for the scenery.... it seems to be harder for me on the road though.... I can't run as far on the road.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the points above. Depends on your definition of better.

If you have a track near by with recycled rubber, then the pounding you get from asphalt isn't a problem, but otherwise the treadmill will be less damaging on the knees long term. Correct form and good running shoes will mitigate this to a large degree though.

Running outside provides more resistance (you need to engage your core more for the minute unevenness of road surfaces, and wind resistance requires you to use more fuel to keep the same pace as you would on the treadmill), and it can also be far more visually stimulating then a treadmill which will keep you more interested in it.

But of course running outside has it's drawbacks, weather is a big one, extreme heat and cold kill a runner's motivation, also if you run on the street, traffic and time of day (night running is dangerous in ANY condition on the street) is also a factor.