Belly Dancing

Options
Has anyone ever tried belly dancing as a work out? It looks like a lot of fun, and I'd really like to try it, but I don't really know if it'll do anything, or what video to look into.

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't know about videos but I've tried a few classes.. Its difficult but fun if you get the hang of it..

Gotta lean the figure 8 with your hips and the belly roll...

That's easier for some than others (Surprisingly, the Size of belly... not an important factor)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Before I got up the nerve to take classes, I did the Neena & Veena DVDs- Belly Dance for Fitness. And since I loved it, I started to take classes. I don't take them now- I take different classes- but it's a lot of fun and a great hip, ab work out. I would not say it's the hardest cardio workout and you may want to take them in addition to doing other cardio/strength training.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I ADORE belly dancing. Even take classes. It's such a great workout. Lost 2 inches off my waistline in 6 weeks!
    Anything bellydance superstars is a great resource. There are some Veena and Nena videos that are okay for beginners. Not great, but okay (I learned some bad techniques from them).
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I took classes a while back, and trust me, it takes a LOT of work to make it look effortless. Videos are fine I guess, but i think it's easier to follow them once you've had some instruction...
    I borrowed a Kathy Smith bellydance workout from the library, it was ok, not really my thing, but it had me sweating alright.. got a few others on hold.
    If you have a local library, try before you buy ;-)
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    No.... but sounds like a good time.... In Zumba we do some belly dancing "moves" and routines...

I just read on a friends profile that professional belly dancers get showered with money!!!!! "Belly Dancer" sounds so much better than "Stripper" I'm thinking it's worth looking into :bigsmile:
  • kao1114
    kao1114 Posts: 51
    Options
    I took a few classes at a local community center - with the right classes you can get a good workout. It took me a little bit to get over the "everyone is looking at me make a fool out of myself" thing - no one cared - everyone just had fun!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    No.... but sounds like a good time.... In Zumba we do some belly dancing "moves" and routines...

I just read on a friends profile that professional belly dancers get showered with money!!!!! "Belly Dancer" sounds so much better than "Stripper" I'm thinking it's worth looking into :bigsmile:

LOL, if you have the right teacher, she'll tell you about the nuances, and which to avoid because they are considered 'cheap invitations' :wink:
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Belly Dancing Workout: Ask a 'serious' belly dancer "Where's your belly button jewel?" then run as fast as you can because if she catches you, she WILL claw your eyes out. :-P
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried belly dancing as a work out? It looks like a lot of fun, and I'd really like to try it, but I don't really know if it'll do anything, or what video to look into.

I own a lot of Belly Dance workouts. I haven't belly danced in a while. For beginners, I would suggest: Bellydance: First Steps - step-by-step belly dance instruction & 2 hours of non-stop practice for Total Beginners Starring Neon (2010). You can find this workout on Amazon.com and preview it on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3MzH654FTQ
  • PopePopsicleIV
    Options
    Sweet! thanks for the advice and input guys! I'll definitely have to look some of these workouts up... but i'm not going to harass a belly dancer.... that sounds dangerous! :P
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just took my first class yesterday! It was awesome and a ton of fun. Man, my abs and deltoids are screaming today!:flowerforyou:
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    I got to belly dancing on Monday nights, it's so much fun! I took an HRM once, it burnt just over 200 cals in an hour so not great compared to zumba or other classes but for variation and enjoyment it's great!
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Love belly dancing! It's a fun and different way to work your body. I always feel so good afterward.