Telling my story...need friends and support!

Options
ms_tris
ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I was at my highest weight of 235 pounds as a freshman in high school. I lost 68 pounds over the course of about 9 months by cutting out almost all fat (remember that "fat is evil!" phase the fitness industry promoted in the late 80's, early 90's?) and severely restricting calories. I maintained most of that weight loss a couple of years, but not in a healthy way (binge/purge). Over the years I have done all the diets there are to do, including atkins, cabbage soup, weight watchers, fasting, low-fat....and my weight is like a roller coaster, baby (sing, please)!! Always up and down, up and down.
My most recent successful diet venture was in 2008 when I lost about 30 pounds (down to an all time low of 156--I'm 5'9") by eating 1200 calories a day and exercising. I was very strict and I felt hungry all the time. In retrospect, I wish I had done less cardio and more strength training. I think that would've made me look more toned and I would've been happier with my final results.
Fast forward to now.... I'm back to the weight I was in 2008 (before I lost weight) due to lots of stressful life changes, poor eating habits, and a love for beer...! I'm feeling pretty isolated since I moved to a new city, and I can't find a "small-town" gym like the one i attended in Texas. Because of that, I've set up a pretty decent "gym" in my garage so that I have no excuses for why I can't work out. I plan to start my "official" workout plan on Monday, because I get the Zumba DVDs on Monday and my treadmill on Tuesday. Right now I do bodypump 3x a week (the instructor videos they use to teach the class, not the "wannabe" beachbody version) and I plan to add in extensive cardio (mainly walking, jogging, Zumba) in order to burn off calories fast. I'd really like to be well on my way to my goal by mid-June, when I'm going to Jamaica and plan to wear an absolutely scandalous bikini! ;)) Anyone with similar stats that wants to be a motivator/workout buddy/general supportive person would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm 36 (eeeeek!!! How did that happen???)
5'9" tall
Starting weight: 188 (Another eeeeek!!! I hope its not higher. I'm too scared to weigh today!)
Goal weight: 155 and toned!

I'm really enjoying the site so far and really want this to be the last time I have to lose weight. I'm tired of the roller coaster and I miss all the cute clothes that are gathering dust in my closet.

For those of you who made it through that long post, thanks for taking the time to read!
~tristi

Replies

• smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" 183 and just turned 35. You can do it!! And you're gonna rock that Bikini! :)
    goal weight is 150
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hi...Im 36 also, 5'7 and currently 178 pounds. My goal is 160. You can do this!! (:
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good for you, you can do this! My highest weight was around yours at 237 and I started losing last Aug and am down to 179 so far...goal is 130 though as I am 5'3". I live in Orlando, Fl, add me if you'd like!