making most foods from scratch

Options
I have been making most of my meals from scratch with as little processed ingredients as possible...and it sure seems hard to always calculate the proper calories and the proper portion size. Of course I would love to error on the side of more calories than too few but I dont think thats been happening lately because I gained 3 lbs in a week and half period. UGH! I know this site is just to be used as a tool but im starting to get discouraged with my own cooking and opt for pre-packaged, pre-calculated meals which is something I wanted to avoid! Any one else having that problem?

Replies

• EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I make almost all of my meals from scratch. I use a food scale to weigh out all of the ingredients, and I use the recipe calculator on this site (under the "food" tab) to enter everything in. You tell it how many servings it makes, and it'll tell you how much of everything is in each serving.

Even before I got a food scale, I still used the recipe calculator. It wasn't quite as accurate, but it was close. And when you make meals just for yourself, just enter in the individual things you ate. Today for lunch I had scrambled eggs with veggies and a butter chicken sauce (so nom), and I just input everything in individually instead of "making a meal" out of it and entering that. It's not too difficult to enter things this way, and I feel great knowing I'm saving money and eating more nutritious foods by making almost everything myself. =) You get used to it. Avoid the pre-packaged stuff! And good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yep, use your own recipes and enter stuff. I make a big pan of food and estimate that it's 5 dinners or whatever. Maybe one day is a tiny bit light and another a tiny bit heavy but by the time I've eaten 5 dinners worth out of that pan it's averaged out.
  • amgriffin69
    Options
    thanks...im kind of new to this site and didnt know about the recipe calculator! haha! i will definitely use it tonight for i am making courdon bleu (sp?).