Post Workout Protein Help

Options
2»

Replies

• schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The one I have been using for at least a year is 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup fat free yogurt, 1 serving peanut butter, 1 scoop Gold Standard whey. High protein for recovery, healthy fats for energy, and a decent amount of carbs. Plus it tastes great!
    Granted, I'm not going for mass (more a runner, so lean muscle is what I'm focusing on) but that is affected by the workout itself.
    Good luck!!
  • ericm4
    ericm4 Posts: 4
    Options
    If you're looking for a good program I suggest Jim wendler 5/3/1. When it comes to building muscle you must be at a caloric surplus. You also have to understand macronutients, if your serious, have a coach work out all of this for you, my future coach that I will be working with is team 3dmj. I highly suggest working with them. In general there are online calculators that can give you broad numbers. For carbs 2-2.5 per gram bodyweight and protein 1 gram per bodyweight is ideal, I'm not sure about fat. Look to gain 1-3 lbs per month and in 12 months about 5-10lbs lean mass
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Different people are going to have different takes. For interesting info that is based on research I'd visit Lyle McDonald's site Bodyrecomposition.com. There is also some good info on Alan Aragon's site. Bottom line is it is far more important what your macro intake may be in a 24 hour period than when you take them. For protein in strength training you want a minimum of .8 grams per lb of lean body mass. More is better. Some go as high as 1.5 grams. I personally do 1 gram per lb of total body mass as a goal. I don't always get there but I get close.

I use protein shakes to supplement as I find it difficult to get all the protein I want from food sources. On workout days I have some carbs before workout as research shows that fed workouts result in higher lipolysis (fat burn) than fasted workouts. After workout, I immediatly down a protein shake with about 48 grams of protein and under 20 grams of carbs. I am believer in carbs before, protein after. There is really no reason I do immediatly after except that I like to. It's refreshing, rehydrating and I'm hungry at that point. (I workout in the morning and and the only thing I've eaten is a little coffee and a banana!) I don't take in more food for about 2 hours and then it's a healthy mix of protein carbs and fat.

Bottom line=timing is not critical. Mix is. With that in mind, come up with a good macro mix, around 150 grams to 180 grams of carbs, too much more and you'll increase insulin and shut down fat burning, .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass and let the fats fall where they do with what's left. That should be good. Keep up the good work!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for all the input...I think I may be more confused now lol I purchased the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises, and it has a 4-week lifting program/diet program in there that suggests total body weight workouts, 3 sets of 12 reps for each exercise (I do 9) and the diet suggests low sugar, low carbs, and high protein. Now I'm hearing higher carbs not as much protein. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, because I want as much info as I can get from all people, but I must say it's quite confusing.

well Im certainly no expert but here are some things I have learned. You can get all the protein you need from your diet. Shakes are a convenient, low calorie way to "supplement" your diet for more protein. There really is no benefit to "fast digestion" proteins as they are not really that fast anyways and most new studies say the post workout "window" is bunk. Most everyone recommends 1 gram protein per pound of lean body weight. Once you reach that number the rest of your calories should be made up of carbs and fats. Carbs are great for energy. Whether you choose sugars, starches, or other sources is up to you but any of them in excess will make you gain weight. Depending on your goals and how much you eat this can be good or bad. Fats (good fats) are necessary for lots of vitamins and hormone levels. So having some fat in your diet is pretty important.

I found this video to be very helpful for determining calorie macros.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakMu9ddQ5I
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can get all the protein you need from your diet.

This... The other day I was looking at my nutrients table from scanned foods, and my protein intake was something like 230 grams of protein. It was all from food.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    You can get all the protein you need from your diet.

This... The other day I was looking at my nutrients table from scanned foods, and my protein intake was something like 230 grams of protein. It was all from food.

At the moment i am getting around 250g or more of protein from foods. The only time I take protein shakes are straight after a workout.. And it is always 100% whey so a quick absorbing protein.. Other than that I try and get a steady release of proteins through out the day. Your are better off getting your protein intake from whole foods.

I went through the phase where I was meeting my protein intake via shakes and here are a few issues with that:
    1. It costs a lot
    2. I was always hungry as it was not filling me up
    3. I was not seeing the results I was wanting to see