Elliptical trainer or what??

Options
Hey!! Got a question for anyone out here!!! A friend of mine gave me a used Tony Little's Gazelle Edge. I've googled it, trying to find out if it is a elliptical machine or just what! I want to make sure I am logging it correctly under my exercise catagory.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• shellrocker12
    shellrocker12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So I've decided to start logging my exercise on the Gazelle Edge as a sking machine. Anyone out here think that sounds correct? Or have any other idea's on it? ( I have read articles on the internet about it.)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no idea, but I would think an elliptical would be harder than the gazelle. But I have never tried it, so I cannot say for sure.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    The gazelle edge elliptical trainer lets you focus on stretching and strengthening your muscles

I found this on the Walmart website under the description. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gazelle-Edge-Trainer/1597237
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand the amount of calories people log for elliptical trainers...Surely doing 75 mins of elliptical cannot burn 975 cals...Or can it??
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    nothing is accurate unless you have a heartrate monitor. When I do my elliptical for 30 mins I only burn 175 for calories! The machine says 575?!?!? Way off!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I cannot understand the amount of calories people log for elliptical trainers...Surely doing 75 mins of elliptical cannot burn 975 cals...Or can it??

It can, based on a number of factors--your age, weight, and the effort you put into it. If you're doing intervals on the thing, you can blast calories. My HRM will tell me that I've burned more than a 1000 when I've done 90 minutes on one. I do my own little routine, but it involves going as fast and hard as I can with high resistance for 30 seconds every time a new song comes on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    So I've decided to start logging my exercise on the Gazelle Edge as a sking machine. Anyone out here think that sounds correct? Or have any other idea's on it? ( I have read articles on the internet about it.)
    This is correct. It is a skiing machine. However, use an HRM to track your calories instead of the digital display provided. I found it very liberal to the amount of calories it stated I burned when I had one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    depends on your size and how high you put up the resistance. I usually burn about 10cals a minute, being 5'6" and 170lbs. So someone larger could easily burn more. However, if you're doing it on level 1, then mfp is most likely going to give you a big overestimate! Another good reason to wear a heart rate monitor!