Running with Bad Knees

Options
When I first decided to get healthy and fit, one of my major goals was to be able to run. My whole life, I have never been able to run and have often been ridiculed for looking funny doing it. A little while into my journey, I found out that the reason I "looked funny" when I ran was because of recurrent problems with my knees and feet (which has resulted in about 5 kneecap dislocations in the last 5 years). I had a trainer tell me at the beginning that I shouldn't be running because it would be a health and safety issue, but since then I've got orthopedic inserts to try to improve my legs while excersizing and I am looking into getting some more expensive, solid running shoes.

My question to you: Has anyone else had similar problems with knee's preventing you from running and found that orthopedic inserts and the right shoes actually allowed you to run? Would you encourage having a go at it or would you recommend sticking to bikes?

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have, in the long ago past, had a knee problem that required me to wear a foam knee brace. I would think you would want to look into that.

Running is a tough activity on the body, and you seem to have had some serious problems. Maybe you should listen to your trainer. Have you tried using an elliptical trainer?
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have sore knees and good shoes. The shoes help a lot but the pain is still there. I just do what I can manage. Walk for a while, jog, then walk again. The weight loss has helped me a lot though. Maybe one day I'll be able to run and maybe you will too :wink:
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    While I don't have knee problems per se but I feel you on the goofy looking running. I always looked weird and HATED to run, it was just painful everywhere! Turns out I was just never taught the proper form. I have made huge gains in the past several months by changing my form to pose style, I'm still a work in progress but I don't hate running anymore and my injuries are way down. There are so many videos out there that will really help to learn proper form. Not sure how much that will help your knees but if you're dead set on being a runner it's a place to start. Good luck!
  • epursey
    epursey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery on both knees as a teenager. I can't run. For years I wanted to badly but it is way to painful. Over the years I have found replacement work outs that keep me in shape. Deep down I still wish I could but well. . . Its just not for me.

Are there other things you like? Swimming is really good and well some may find it boring but a nice brisk walk is excellent to. I go to a gym and mostly use the elliptical.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Honestly though, I think it is more important to look after our knees first. Cycling is an excellent exercise and no pain!
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to run, either. I think there comes a point when one must accept that and find something else that works and doesn't damage the knees further. Believe me, as life goes on, you want those knees to work well and as painlessly as possible.

Try to find something you enjoy and keep with it.
    Good luck!
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've had two surgeries on the same knee for the same problem (the first surgery failed, prompting a second). My knee problems have been virtually endless since 2006. Here's what I did: I took brisk 4 mile walks about twice a week around a hilly neighborhood to get my knees used to the work. I always made sure to stretch before and after to keep my muscles limber and give my knees some breathing room after pounding the pavement for an hour. I have since progressed from walking to attempting to run, and now I do my couch to 5k program at the boardwalk. My reasoning is that the boardwalk wooden slats absorb the shock much more than pavement, resulting in a much more comfortable run. I've had absolutely no pain since I started running at the boardwalk. If you have access to a beach or state park with a boardwalk area, definitely take advantage of it now while in the off-season. I know my park usually charges $8 per car between memorial day and labor day (the peak summertime months) but spring is still free admission.

Also, my physical therapist always used to say "motion is lotion" when it comes to sore knees. Keep moving! :)
  • Frayed_Ends
    Options
    I, too, have a bad knee from a chainsaw accident when I was younger. I've worked a long time to get comfortable running. Shoes, proper form, stretching, ice baths (after running) and it still isn't 'comfortable' to run. I've often wondered about cycling though, it burns a lot of calories, you can ride most places you can run, and you'd cover a lot more ground doing it. It seems a lot more fun than running to me, personally.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Alot of times its not the knees..its the hips.

You need to ROLL with a foam roller..stretch stretch stretch everyday and see a trainer or PT about weights for hips and knees to help strengthen all the muscles!

I have rhematoid arthritis. left leg is filled with it. I run 5 days a week..
  • fadisaied
    Options
    As an orthopedic surgeon I can tell you that the right orthotics and shoes can help. But....I would strongly recommentd elliptical or cycling. First of all they are non-impact. If you insist on running some of the nicer treadmills have some shock absorption that would be much better than runnin on pavement. Hope this helps.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whether or not one can run on a "bad knee" totally depends on what type of issue is occurring. I'm not sure, but it sounds like you have patellofemoral syndrome? Studies have suggested that patellofemoral syndrome can be rehabilititated but will often return if the previous level of activity is resumed - unless there's an obvious cause such as leg length discrepancy or muscle imbalance. Bottom line, some people can run with knee pain, some people can't.

I've had some sports injuries to my knees so I have to be careful with them but running isn't really my thing but I do do plenty of plyometrics, kenpo and squats without an issue as long as I focus on maintaining proper form.
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i have a meniscal tear in my right knee. it hurts all the time. I am privileged enough to work at a Physiotherapy clinic that also has a chiropractor and a massage therapist. i am trying many things to help me to run. I am training for a Spartan Race in July...that no one thinks I should participate in by the way. my co-workers have found that i have tight hips and a leg length discrepancy. I am doing physio to work on loosening my hips. i have a foot lift in my left shoe and am doing a slow running/walking program, designed by the chiro who is also a runner. Even if I have to walk that whole race i want to commit to it and finish it!!!
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that if you could go see a physiotherapist that could just see you once or twice to make sure you're doing your exercises correctly and give you lots of suggestions, that would really benefit you!! As others have said, proper form makes all the difference too. It's a small price to pay to do something you may really love to do.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree with the orthopedic surgeon. Select a different exercise or run on a treadmill.

Your health and wellness should come before some abstract commitment to a certain exercise that could likely have long-term consequences for your mobility.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have major knee problems... Grade 3 osteoarthritis both knee's, torn meniscus both knee's, and torn ACL in my left knee. I have done everything from injection therapy, pain pills (on 2 right now) and Scopes (clean outs) my arthritis is to advance to do anything other than by time until I get to my goal weight and then I will be getting knee replacements. I am 4 weeks post op from a left knee clean out and have a new issue... Ortho Dr, did extensive scraping and grinding and I have had major swelling which has caused my knee cap to track wrong and it is painful and very annoying cause it clicks constantly.. This was new for me cause I am so use to my bone on bone pain. My PT therapist started Kinesio Taping on my knee cap which actually lifts the knee cap and allows it to track correctly and allows blood flow into the area. I was amazed at how good it felt immediately after he taped me up. (Tape stays on for 3 to 4 days and then will need replaced.) Now it does nothing for the bone on bone pain but the tracking of my kneecap was so much better and the clicking was gone... Don't know if this would help you but may be worth looking into... I can not run, but 34 months ago I couldn't walk from one room to the other so with the aid of DonJoy OA braces and shots and pain pills and now taping... I can get around pretty good.. I tend to stay off the treadmill because it is to high impact and I stick to the Elliptical and Arc trainer.. We have a Seated Elliptical at our YMCA that I use too. I do walk in 5 K's (my goal is always to finish nothing more) and I also use the pool alot because the water displaces my body weight and makes it almost pain free to walk laps in the therapy pool.... Best of Luck to you.....
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I use the recumbant bike at the gym and something they call the grinder (it's an arm powered pedaling exercise machine).
    Still need to do some strength exercises as recommended by my physio.
    I would like to thank the surgeon for commenting. will try for some orthopedic runners.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've had bad knees since the age of 30 (one dislocation), and wear orthopedic inserts. I also wear knee braces when I exercise. I don't run because of injury. You do a bit, then you are laid up for a long time, and it is a recurring cycle where the only thing that happens is that you get fat.

Best adapt and do what you can: walk, bike, swim, canoe, cross-country ski. There is so much that can be done out there, so why stick to something that hurts?

Knees are fragile. Why get a knee replacement when you can avoid one and still exercise?
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't push it if you are having problems, you'll regret it later in life. When I was 18, I tore my ACL in my left knee playing soccer. I was told to stay off of it and let it heal, but I didn't listen. I did even more damage playing on a pickup league (college coach wouldn't let me play) and I lost my scholarship. That was 20 years ago, and now I have knee pain every day. Biking and the elliptical are great cardio for me, but running is out of the question, as much as I would like to do it (I ran cross country also). I suggest to stick to bikes and machines for support to avoid ruining your knees for life.
  • SiouxsieQue
    SiouxsieQue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    While I don't have knee problems per se but I feel you on the goofy looking running. I always looked weird and HATED to run, it was just painful everywhere! Turns out I was just never taught the proper form. I have made huge gains in the past several months by changing my form to pose style, I'm still a work in progress but I don't hate running anymore and my injuries are way down. There are so many videos out there that will really help to learn proper form. Not sure how much that will help your knees but if you're dead set on being a runner it's a place to start. Good luck!

I agree with this post. I discovered that I was hyper-extending my leg, while running which is basically asking for a hammer in the kneecap. Had I known the proper form, I would have enjoyed running a long time ago.