What to eat 8 days after Wisdom Teeth extraction

So I'm coming up on day 8 after my wisdom teeth removal. Eating has been slow going. I don't want to get a ton of food stuck into my open wisdom holes. The extraction site was never stitched up due to my wisdom teeth being fully erupted. So the blood clot in the socket is fully exposed. So far the only things I've been consuming is Atkins protein drinks, mashed up avocados, mashed potatoes and gravy, pintos and cheese from taco bell (hey, i was desperate), pureed/creamed soup and water.

I'm getting a little bored and am needing some inspiration.

Like I said, I am not in any pain, just paranoid about food getting in my sockets. Everyone I know has had impacted wisdom teeth so their experience (with how their sockets are) has been different than mine. Am I being a little too cautious?? I literally am dreaming of food. I can't wait to eat!!

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Did you get them extracted from BOTH sides??

I had one side done at a time so that I could just eat regular food on the other side.

I think its okay to eat normal foods.... Just make sure you rinse with warm salt water afterwards to flush any food particles out that do get in the holes.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Oatmeal, macaroni & cheese, yogurt, fish & shellfish are pretty easy to get down.
  • i'm a dental student. provided you dont have some medical condition (diabetes), 8 days should be enough for you to start eating watever you want. take a look at the sockets, there's probably already a layer of skin over those holes. oral epithelium heals fast!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    I'm very surprised the dentist or oral surgeon didn't give you specific instructions or a timetable! I was eating by day 3, and did just fine. I was careful, and rinsed my mouth (with saltwater, if I remember correctly - it was YEARS ago), but once I was no longer in pain, I was told to eat whatever I wanted. I didn't *want* steak, but definitely solid foods.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I hope you can eat something soon! You could make a nice butternut squash soup or something like that. The last time I made it I pureed some white beans to mix in so it would have some protein! And how awesome is it that you got a response from a dental student! Who doesn't love some accurate info!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    I can not speak from expierenceas I have not had wisdom teeth pulled but If you are really nervous work your way up.

Until then some soft food suggestions.

yogurt
    scrabled eggs
    laughing cow cheese wedges
    pasta that has been cooked really well to the point its a bit soft
    do the same with cauliflower and broccoli you can mash them up when cooked till they are soft
    sweet potato
    creamy peanut butter
    apple sauce
    any fruit you can blend

I think you can probably at this point tho add some more solid foods just nothing amazingly hard.
    best of luck to you! :)
  • laurentapia
    laurentapia Posts: 39 Member
    I had all 4 teeth removed at once. My bottom sockets are closing slowly, but there are parts that are still "open" in a way I guess. I can't see my top sockets and I am avoiding "feeling" them with my tongue. :)

I haven't had any bleeding since Sunday, so I think I am doing good with the healing.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I can't wait to eat a grilled chicken salad.... maybe in a week?? :) *fingers crossed*
  • I got mine out 2 weeks ago and I've been eating whole grain pasta's, mac and cheese (not as healthy), light cheesecake, or alot of vegatables that have been steamed have been pretty good.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I had all four out at once, no sutures, plus dry socket (which SUCKED!!!!!!!!) and I think I was eating fairly normally by day 10.