• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    bread-is-the-devil-diet-books-2012-pg-full.jpg
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,741 Member
    Options
    I just like carbs period :)
    Me too! About 50 percent of my calories come from them — a lot in the form of grains. And if the brown stuff is better for us than the white, I'm in good shape because I actually like it better. The family doesn't, though, so I don't worry about making the occasional lasagna or chicken noodle soup with white pasta. And those evil potatoes? Love, love love them!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    What an ignorant thing to write. Are you a doctor? For those of us who are diabetics and borderline diabetics white rice and bread are NO different that sugar when we eat them. The glycemic index is through the roof and toxic for us. Not only is your post ignorant, it's irresponsible and could be damaging to a new person one here trying to figure out what's best for their body. Find a group of like minded individuals and spew to them if you need to bestow your great wisdom onto the masses. This is a place where your extreme ignorance could harm the people who need true help the most.

Good lawd! Calm down!

Firstly, you're diabetic. That means your insulin responses are not the same as the average person. The OP was talking about evil "white carbs" in the context of being eaten as part of a balanced diet by healthy people who have normal insulin responses. You are the rare and special snowflake. This doesn't apply to you, obviously.

Secondly, we need more thoughtful and educated posts like this one on here even if you disagree with them. There's far too much "broscience" and "Dr. Oz said..." misinformation flying around on these boards. People on here consistently try to make weight loss so much more difficult that it already is by adding in all kinds of crazy rules about eating 10x per day to rev up your metabolism and avoiding sugar because it's the *kitten* spawn of satan, very little of which has a basis in actual science. It's frustrating as all getout to newbies coming here who get pushed away from the idea of weight loss because they can't stick to such restrictive diets. That's the sad truth of it. We, as a community, should be doing better to encourage the new folks to eat well, move more, and make changes they can stick with, not imposing crazy rules that not everyone can stick to.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Whoa! Slow down! I'm a type 2 and although I agree with most of what you have said, it is important to say that if you are a diabetic and are listening to advice on any forum...you better educate yourself. I have found what works best for me is to somewhat limit carbs, any type. Spred them out throughout the day if you can. Plus what may work for you may not work for someone else, but you prob. already know that. I have a friend, type 2, who acually does better eating "white" carbs.
    Exersize, cardio and weight training will matter more than what type of bread you eat! Just my opinion.

I am also type 2 and I agree that my exercising (strength training and interval cardio) along with my water intake has helped my numbers stay consistently low. I will probably be coming off my metformin in a month or so and I eat what works for me (sometimes wheat and sometimes white). No worries!!
  • PJilly
    Options
    It's not like white bread, pasta etc are the devil, it's simply that whole grain bread, pastas etc are better. More nutrients for the caloric bang.

The difference may seem minute, but if possible why WOULDN'T you choose whole grain products

Catelli Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Spaghetti http://www.catellihealthyharvest.ca/en_CA/products/whole_wheat_pasta/whole_wheat_spaghetti/

Catelli Spaghetti https://www.catelli.ca/pasta/nutritional_pasta_long.htm

A couple less calories, way more fibre, a bit more protein, some add'l Vit A and calcium and iron. Why wouldn't you choose the whole wheat variety?

I also find the taste of whole wheat heartier than plain old white pasta.
    I prefer the taste of whole wheat breads and pasta to their white counterparts, but some people really don't like the way they taste, which would be the answer to your question of why one wouldn't choose the whole wheat variety.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What an ignorant thing to write. Are you a doctor? For those of us who are diabetics and borderline diabetics white rice and bread are NO different that sugar when we eat them. The glycemic index is through the roof and toxic for us. Not only is your post ignorant, it's irresponsible and could be damaging to a new person one here trying to figure out what's best for their body. Find a group of like minded individuals and spew to them if you need to bestow your great wisdom onto the masses. This is a place where your extreme ignorance could harm the people who need true help the most.

Whoa! Slow down! I'm a type 2 and although I agree with most of what you have said, it is important to say that if you are a diabetic and are listening to advice on any forum...you better educate yourself. I have found what works best for me is to somewhat limit carbs, any type. Spred them out throughout the day if you can. Plus what may work for you may not work for someone else, but you prob. already know that. I have a friend, type 2, who acually does better eating "white" carbs.
    Exersize, cardio and weight training will matter more than what type of bread you eat! Just my opinion.

Mike, my concern is more for the many ladies I've met on here who are questioning what they eat and don't fully understand what's going on with their bodies. So many people are insulin sensitive or undiagnosed Pre-Diabetics...not even fully to type 2 yet. Advice like that can be seriously damaging to their overall health. Veggies and fruits are a fantastic place to get your carbs. Unfortunately many overweight people who would seek help from a place like MFP get here from being carb junkies, myself included. Telling those people that a carb is a carb even though veggies are best, is ignorant, period. That doesn't help the people who need this information the most. Not the people who just want to get healthier or slimmer and can still enjoy white things but the ones who are sick and need to heal their bodies with whole nutrition.
  • theartichoke
    Options

Good lawd! Calm down!

Firstly, you're diabetic. That means your insulin responses are not the same as the average person. The OP was talking about evil "white carbs" in the context of being eaten as part of a balanced diet by healthy people who have normal insulin responses. You are the rare and special snowflake. This doesn't apply to you, obviously.

Secondly, we need more thoughtful and educated posts like this one on here even if you disagree with them. There's far too much "broscience" and "Dr. Oz said..." misinformation flying around on these boards. People on here consistently try to make weight loss so much more difficult that it already is by adding in all kinds of crazy rules about eating 10x per day to rev up your metabolism and avoiding sugar because it's the *kitten* spawn of satan, very little of which has a basis in actual science. It's frustrating as all getout to newbies coming here who get pushed away from the idea of weight loss because they can't stick to such restrictive diets. That's the sad truth of it. We, as a community, should be doing better to encourage the new folks to eat well, move more, and make changes they can stick with, not imposing crazy rules that not everyone can stick to.

With so many people telling me to calm down I suppose I need to. I'll try to be more careful with what I write from here on. I'm not diabetic though, just borderline type 2 and changing my diet away from things like rice, I can't even eat brown, though I know some insulin dependent diabetics who can, has saved my life and kept me off insulin. There are so many ladies who struggle with a beast they can't name and it breaks my heart for them. For them this kind of information can be extremely harmful. That's all I'm saying.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Mike, my concern is more for the many ladies I've met on here who are questioning what they eat and don't fully understand what's going on with their bodies. So many people are insulin sensitive or undiagnosed Pre-Diabetics...not even fully to type 2 yet. Advice like that can be seriously damaging to their overall health. Veggies and fruits are a fantastic place to get your carbs. Unfortunately many overweight people who would seek help from a place like MFP get here from being carb junkies, myself included. Telling those people that a carb is a carb even though veggies are best, is ignorant, period. That doesn't help the people who need this information the most. Not the people who just want to get healthier or slimmer and can still enjoy white things but the ones who are sick and need to heal their bodies with whole nutrition.

You point well taken! For me however, generally speaking, a carb is a carb. I see you have found what has worked for you and you should be proud. I caution you though, that even your advice to others can be risky to some. I love reading posts like this and deciding what is relevent to me. One poster had a great comment about being a snowflake, ALL of us are different, diabetic or not, and should eat what our own bodies need. I know a few people who eat no grains, only nuts & seeds, and are doing very well. The OP has only posted her opinion. While it is based on written words, there are hundreds of other written studies that go the other way. Be your own expert!
  • mikeyboy
    Options

I am also type 2 and I agree that my exercising (strength training and interval cardio) along with my water intake has helped my numbers stay consistently low. I will probably be coming off my metformin in a month or so and I eat what works for me (sometimes wheat and sometimes white). No worries!!

Congrats with that! Water intake is very important. If you ever want to exchange tips and / recipies, look me up.
  • PJilly
    Options
    Also, and I realize this is strictly anecdotal, but my mom has been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. She is still eating a fairly generous amount of grains, and she is doing a phenomenal job of keeping her blood sugar levels consistent throughout the day. She's being careful about timing and how much she has at a time, but she's been losing weight and keeping her numbers at really good levels without giving up her carbs — some of them white even! She has definitely ditched the loads of sweets she used to eat, which I'm sure has helped immensely, but she's doing great.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Interesting, yet only half informative. Let me tell you, in short my journey to better wellness...

I started Jan 29th. Weight 298.
    I eat: Pizza, Beer, Ice Cream, Hamburgers (The awesome one's of course), Pasta, bread, RED MEAT (OMG!), Pork, Bacon (Yeah, its pork), Chicken, VERY VERY few vegetables, Frozen Yogurt, I drink LOTS of Wine, and hard alcohol, Pancakes, and Sushi (With no adjustments to the rice intake)....Pretty much ANYTHING I WANT.

I weighed in this last Saturday. 4 Months...258.

The keys are Moderation...with Everything. And this goes for Diabetics, too. My medical background...91B US Army Veteran - Field Medic + husband to a type-1 Diabetic.

Get smart people. Eat balanced. Enjoy life.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetes is largely the cause of being overweight and it's curable by losing weight. Being overweight is not caused by white carbs and it isn't remedied by eating whole grains. If you get rid of type 2 diabetes and you come in at, let's say, 12% BF then you can certainly eat white carbs without suddenly become a giant blimp that's going to get type 2.

What I am saying should be something that humans who are not plagued by a disease should adhere to. The point is that in a proper comparison to white vs. whole grain diet, one is not better than the other. This is important to realize because people need to stop fearing specific foods. Be reasonable. I cannot say it any simpler. There is no particularly convincing evidence that you should only consume whole grains. There isn't. At all.

I cannot be anymore clear. Some of you are attempting to justify your irrationality. Stop fearing foods. Eat what you enjoy. If you legitimately prefer whole grains over white, good! That's what I want. Eat what you enjoy but be reasonable and practice moderation. If you honestly have zero damn control over yourself then I have nothing for you.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetes is largely the cause of being overweight and it's curable by losing weight. Being overweight is not caused by white carbs and it isn't remedied by eating whole grains. If you get rid of type 2 diabetes and you come in at, let's say, 12% BF then you can certainly eat white carbs without suddenly become a giant blimp that's going to get type 2.

What I am saying should be something that humans who are not plagued by a disease should adhere to. The point is that in a proper comparison to white vs. whole grain diet, one is not better than the other. This is important to realize because people need to stop fearing specific foods. Be reasonable. I cannot say it any simpler. There is no particularly convincing evidence that you should only consume whole grains. There isn't. At all.

I cannot be anymore clear. Some of you are attempting to justify your irrationality. Stop fearing foods. Eat what you enjoy. If you legitimately prefer whole grains over white, good! That's what I want. Eat what you enjoy but be reasonable and practice moderation. If you honestly have zero damn control over yourself then I have nothing for you.

This should have been the disclaimer at the top of your original post. Would have kept all the people you could negatively influence from reading another word.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    This should have been the disclaimer at the top of your original post. Would have kept all the people you could negatively influence from reading another word.

I thought it was common sense. I'm not negatively influencing anyone. It doesn't matter if you have Diabetes or if you're God, white foods are complex carbs. People assume complex carbs = good. Being whole grain or not makes no difference to the structure.
  • mikeyboy
    Options

I thought it was common sense. I'm not negatively influencing anyone. It doesn't matter if you have Diabetes or if you're God, white foods are complex carbs. People assume complex carbs = good. Being whole grain or not makes no difference to the structure.

I am sorry I dragged your post off track. I agree 100% about the white carb statement. And while 90% of type 2 diabeties is caused by being overweight, not all is. AND there is no cure, only keeping it at bay. That is what you were suggesting I'm guessing. Ah crap I did it again. Anyways, thanks for the post. Very informitive.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Damn good post.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I don't care how many people tell me to switch to brown rice "you won't even taste the difference" ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME! there is a HUGE taste and texture difference, you will have to pry he white rice out of my cold dead hands!