Link Between Fast Food and Depression Confirmed

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
FECYT - Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology
The link between fast food and depression has been confirmed

According to a recent study headed by scientists from the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and the University of Granada, eating commercial baked goods (fairy cakes, croissants, doughnuts, etc.) and fast food (hamburgers, hotdogs and pizza) is linked to depression.

Published in the Public Health Nutrition journal, the results reveal that consumers of fast food, compared to those who eat little or none, are 51% more likely to develop depression.

Furthermore, a dose-response relationship was observed. In other words this means that "the more fast food you consume, the greater the risk of depression," explains Almudena Sánchez-Villegas, lead author of the study, to SINC.

The study demonstrates that those participants who eat the most fast food and commercial baked goods are more likely to be single, less active and have poor dietary habits, which include eating less fruit, nuts, fish, vegetables and olive oil. Smoking and working more than 45 hours per week are other prevalent characteristics of this group.

A long-term study

With regard to the consumption of commercial baked goods, the results are equally conclusive. "Even eating small quantities is linked to a significantly higher chance of developing depression," as the university researcher from the Canary Islands points out.

The study sample belonged to the SUN Project (University of Navarra Diet and Lifestyle Tracking Program). It consisted of 8,964 participants that had never been diagnosed with depression or taken antidepressants. They were assessed for an average of six months, and 493 were diagnosed with depression or started to take antidepressants.

This new data supports the results of the SUN project in 2011, which were published in the PLoS One journal. The project recorded 657 new cases of depression out of the 12,059 people analysed over more than six months. A 42% increase in the risk associated with fast food was found, which is lower than that found in the current study.

Sánchez-Villegas concludes that "although more studies are necessary, the intake of this type of food should be controlled because of its implications on both health (obesity, cardiovascular diseases) and mental well-being."

The impact of diet on mental health

Depression affects 121 million people worldwide. This figure makes it one of the main global causes of disability-adjusted life year. Further still, in countries with low and medium income it is the leading cause.

However, little is known about the role that diet plays in developing depressive disorders. Previous studies suggest that certain nutrients have a preventative role. These include group B vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids and olive oil. Furthermore, a healthy diet such as that enjoyed in the Mediterranean has been linked to a lower risk of developing depression.

FROM: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-03/f-sf-tlb033012.php

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation. There is likely another variable causing that depression, not just fast food. I can say that the more quarters I collect the better my grades are, but that doesn't mean that the extra quarters made my grades better.
    The study demonstrates that those participants who eat the most fast food and commercial baked goods are more likely to be single, less active and have poor dietary habits, which include eating less fruit, nuts, fish, vegetables and olive oil. Smoking and working more than 45 hours per week are other prevalent characteristics of this group.

Any of this could be the link to depression. When there are five factors outside of the fast food, that says that the fast food does not cause the depression.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation. There is likely another variable causing that depression, not just fast food. I can say that the more quarters I collect the better my grades are, but that doesn't mean that the extra quarters made my grades better.

Any of this could be the link to depression. When there are five factors outside of the fast food, that says that the fast food does not cause the depression.

I know what you mean. I was thinking that being so poor that fast food had to be a major part of your diet could be the cause, or one of them.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Correlation.... not causation.
  • RainAndPain
    Options
    This is really eye-opening. Thanks for posting this.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder about this.

When I'm really depressed, I tend to be too lazy to cook and so go for scads of fast food.

On the contrary, when I'm feeling well I cook my own food.

Is it possible that being depressed causes people to eat fast food? :P
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Eating vegetables makes me sad.

The article brings it up subtly, but the reason people are depressed is because they're poor and can only afford junk food. I certainly feel sad when my paycheck goes to buying chicken breasts and greek yogurt.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Gonna call bull on this one. There is nothing solid that says the subjects in the test received depression, situational or clinical, exclusively from fast food. I'm guessing they really didn't do much of a psych evaluation before starting or anything to see if there were potential other variables such as home or work. Unless they can prove there's chemicals in certain indulgent/fast foods that may cause side effects of depression when consumed in, say, excess, then this was pretty much mere coincidence. More people now than ever are diagnosed with some level of depression but that is from the advancement in medicine and the fact we lead generally more stressful lives than we did, say, 60 or so years ago.
  • Jorra
    Options
    I continue to love you, saragato.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I don't think the article ever said fast food causes depression.

Why are we talking about causation/correlation?
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mondays make me depressed and I'm usually cured on Fridays....another useless study IMO of course.
  • Jorra
    Options

Because it's more than likely fast food is a mere side effect of the real issues causing the depression. I think the term "link" is even taking it a bit too far.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Because it's more than likely fast food is a mere side effect of the real issues causing the depression. I think the term "link" is even taking it a bit too far.

This. When people read "link" they automatically replace it with "cause" whether it was meant or not.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    FECYT - Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology
    The link between fast food and depression has been confirmed

According to a recent study headed by scientists from the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and the University of Granada, eating commercial baked goods (fairy cakes, croissants, doughnuts, etc.) and fast food (hamburgers, hotdogs and pizza) is linked to depression.

Published in the Public Health Nutrition journal, the results reveal that consumers of fast food, compared to those who eat little or none, are 51% more likely to develop depression.

Furthermore, a dose-response relationship was observed. In other words this means that "the more fast food you consume, the greater the risk of depression," explains Almudena Sánchez-Villegas, lead author of the study, to SINC.

A long-term study

With regard to the consumption of commercial baked goods, the results are equally conclusive. "Even eating small quantities is linked to a significantly higher chance of developing depression," as the university researcher from the Canary Islands points out.

The study sample belonged to the SUN Project (University of Navarra Diet and Lifestyle Tracking Program). It consisted of 8,964 participants that had never been diagnosed with depression or taken antidepressants. They were assessed for an average of six months, and 493 were diagnosed with depression or started to take antidepressants.

This new data supports the results of the SUN project in 2011, which were published in the PLoS One journal. The project recorded 657 new cases of depression out of the 12,059 people analysed over more than six months. A 42% increase in the risk associated with fast food was found, which is lower than that found in the current study.

Sánchez-Villegas concludes that "although more studies are necessary, the intake of this type of food should be controlled because of its implications on both health (obesity, cardiovascular diseases) and mental well-being."

The impact of diet on mental health

Depression affects 121 million people worldwide. This figure makes it one of the main global causes of disability-adjusted life year. Further still, in countries with low and medium income it is the leading cause.

However, little is known about the role that diet plays in developing depressive disorders. Previous studies suggest that certain nutrients have a preventative role. These include group B vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids and olive oil. Furthermore, a healthy diet such as that enjoyed in the Mediterranean has been linked to a lower risk of developing depression.

FROM: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-03/f-sf-tlb033012.php

bump for later
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    This. When people read "link" they automatically replace it with "cause" whether it was meant or not.

Then "people" need to take a reading comprehension course. I didn't take it that way.