Elliptical vs treadmill?

Options

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It takes me half the time on the elliptical to burn the same number of calories on the treadmill. Plus I like that it's easy on the knees. I vote elliptical!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    We bought a used Treadclimber and I love it!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill, I'd rather walk outside. I get shin splints on the treadmill after a mile, and can stroll for 5 miles outside. So I vote elliptical. Or treadclimber. Or Arc Climber. And yes I am completely biased.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    I work myself harder on the treadmill, so I'd choose treadmill! Do interval training :D
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was pressed for both money and space. I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333217010&sr=8-1 It is such a great workout and so much cheaper than anything else I saw. I usually hold 3 lb weights in my hands and keep my arms moving to get a little more workout.

I also bought this one and I totally love it! It was easy to assemble, doesn't take up much space and really gives a great workout. I also use 4 lb weights to work my arms. I bought mine at www.wayfair.com. They have free shipping and it was delivered in two days. Great price too.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello do you have a YMCA in your town or perhaps a neighborhood rec. center
    I joined my rec. Center for $82.00 for 3 months. Good luck :-)
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i have arthritis so the elliptical is a no-brainer. Finally doing something...and its makes me sweat:)
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I use both the treadmill and the elliptical. However, the elliptical is a better overall workout because it works more muscle groups than walking/running, especially the glutes. Additionally, I can get my heart rate higher with less perceived exertion than on a treadmill. This is due to the lower impact.

If I had to choose one, I'd get an elliptical because as someone said you can always walk/run outside.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. Tradmill on a steep incline really gets my heart going, but does my legs in. Elliptical is very low impact. I do find my feet go numb on the elliptical, but I still prefer it! X
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We invested in a good treadmill... it does have a "faster results" button, which is usually labeled "incline"

Ours is set at 5% all the time, and gets increased from there.

Amazingly, my knees can not do the elliptical, but I can now run on the treadmill (it also has shock absorbers).

Quality does matter. Try out a good one.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I have a treadmill..but I wish I would've gone with an elliptical. You can run outside!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Buy whichever one you are going to use most often, and the one that you will push yourself the hardest on.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Walking, hiking and running outside are free and a much better workout!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, an elliptical has practically no-impact, so if you're worried about joints and impact, I would go for that. It is NOT the same thing as running, though, so if you really want to actually run, get a treadmill.

Personally, I'm not a fan of either one, but I'd buy a treadmill, if only to do my runs inside on really terrible days when I really can't get outside. One day, when I have a bigger house and budget..
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I have both but don't use the treadmill anymore. I get out and walk. I love the elliptical. I had knee surgery last fall and my elliptical allows to exercise with no pain now.
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    I struggled with buying an elliptical or a treadmill. I bought the elliptical (great price at Walmart) but now that I have it, I wish I had bought a treadmill! I've had both knees replaced and thought the elliptical would be easier on my knees...however it hasn't been. In fact, I'm quite disappointed that I haven't been able to use it more. But I love to walk outside, so I kind of think I may have liked the treadmil a little better.
  • 123maxpp
    123maxpp Posts: 3
    Options
    I have bad knees and ankles from a injury a few years back. I have used treadmills in the past and have been stiff/sore for days after. I have an elliptical now and use it 4 or 5 days a week. I have had zero complaints and it seems to be a good workout.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use Proform models. The treadmill is top of the line, but I have back problems and my husband has knee problems. I use the elliptical. I had the treadmill for about 4 years, but because of my ailments I couldn't do much. I had to use a cane to walk. I started using the elliptical and I now can run!!! I say the elliptical is better. I get a full body workout.
  • rmh84
    rmh84 Posts: 28
    Options
    I prefer the eliptical, I get nasty bad shin splints from jogging.

We have one at home. The thing is for an eliptical you've GOT to get a really high quality one, as the cheap ones are flimsy, and they feel like it. Treadmills are a little more forgiving that way.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    i THOUGHT i was getting a better workout on the elliptical because of the machine's calorie count, then I bought a HRM and learned that the elliptical was WAY over estimating my calories burned and the treadmill was underestimating my calories burned and that I actually burned way more when I was on the treadmill then when I use the elliptical. The elliptical is better for my knees but I have to be on it longer to get the same burn. Also I find the elliptical incredibly boring. I think it's personal preference

If you don't have much experience with easier, see if the gym has a free one day pass or a drop in rate, and go in and use both and see what you like better.