Spinach Pie - YUM!!!

Options
Peta22
Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
Hi All,

I'm feeling pretty chuffed with my baking attempt so I thought I'd share it with you :)

photo.jpg

Hopefully the photo works...

The recipe is as below;

Ingredients
◦ 3 cups chopped yellow onions ( 2 onions)
◦ 1 tablespoon olive oil
◦ 2 teaspoons kosher salt
◦ 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
◦ 250g packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted

◦ 2 cups fresh spinach wilted and dried
◦ 6 extra-large eggs, beaten
◦ 2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
◦ 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
◦ 3 tablespoons dry plain breadcrumbs
◦ 150g feta cheese
◦ 1/4 cup pine nuts
◦ 50g salted butter, melted
◦ 2 sheets puff pastry

Directions
1. Preheat the over to 180 degrees.
2. In a medium saute pan on medium heat, saute the onions with the olive oil until translucent and slightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
3. Squeeze out and discard as much of the liquid from the spinach as possible. Put the spinach into a bowl and then gently mix in the onions, egg, nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, feta and pine nuts.
4. Butter an ovenproof, non-stick, 8-inch saute pan and line it with 6 stacked sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with melted butter and letting the edges hang over the pan.
5. Pour the spinach mixture into the middle of the puff pastry and neatly fold the edges up and over the top to seal in the filling.
6. Brush the top well with melted butter.
7. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden brown and the filling is set.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Serve at room temperature.

Through the MFP recipe calculator, it comes up as 368 cals per slice (1 slice is 1/8th of the pie)

Replies

• Peta22
    Options
    damn... why is my photo not working?? :(

Yey... finally got it working!
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Spanakopita with reasonable calories... thank you!
  • Peta22
    Options
    Spanakopita with reasonable calories... thank you!

lol... Yep thats what the original recipe title was! I found it on the net and adapted it to make it more MFP friendly :)
  • Peta22
    Options
    Yey!! Tasted fabulous too! Probably could have dropped the calories even more if I'd used Filo Pastry as the recipe actually said but I only had puff pastry...

photo-1.jpg
  • Peta22
    Options
    Oooooh! For some reason I can no longer edit the Original Post but I just realise that I slightly changed the recipe in cooking it... I didn't use all the butter as I used the Puff pastry instead of the Filo... Instead of the 50g of butter I used 5g of 30% fat reduced olive oil spread to brush over the pie at the end... this dropped the calorie count significantly.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing! I soooo want a slice! Zara x