Need another side dish, help me out!

Options
Hey all, was going to grill up some lean steaks for dinner along with some steamed asparagus. I can't think of what else to make with it, maybe a salad? Nothing is sounding good to me right now, any suggestions?

Replies

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    sweet potatos?
    brown rice?
    pasta tossed with olive oil, black olives, and parmesean?
    salads are yummy.
    wheat bread?
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    what about a fruit salad or kabobs? just a thought. :smile:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    yeah I was thinking brown rice would be good, I don't like sweet potatoes and didn't want regular potatoes, as they're kinda starchy. Only thing is with the rice if I don't make it flavorful DH and kids won't eat it lol.
  • ronkswife2000
    ronkswife2000 Posts: 176
    Options
    You can't go wrong with salad!!! Heather0mc has some yummy choices! Or you could do a summery fruit with it like cantaloupe! :flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    bummer you dont like sweet potatoes. they are pretty good for you and help with the 'potato' fix.

since you are fairly new, i would suggest playing around with your food log a bit to see how much and of what you can eat, then maybe go from there.

i am such a plain jane :wink: i dont know what you can add to rice to spice it up. i like plain old butter and some pepper and im good. my friend just suggested adding louisiana hot sauce (:noway:). maybe some spanish rice (sopa?)? you could try adding salsa to the rice but i dont know if it would help. garlic might be ok too.

man, im not much help am i??? :noway: :wink: sorry :flowerforyou:
  • Honeybunn
    Honeybunn Posts: 39
    Options
    A fruit salad with strawberries and blood oranges
  • Arienna
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys :) I think I am going to go with some brown rice flavored with some fresh garlic and basil maybe, I'll let you all know how it turns out! Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    yeah I was thinking brown rice would be good, I don't like sweet potatoes and didn't want regular potatoes, as they're kinda starchy. Only thing is with the rice if I don't make it flavorful DH and kids won't eat it lol.
    If you like spanish rice or something with a little kick, add picante sauce to your water that you cook the rice in, add enough to your own taste.If you like spicey stuff, add more, if not add less. It's great! I do this and it comes out just like spanish rice you get at a mexican resturaunt! Or you could add a couple of boulion cubes, I usually use chicken flavored ones. I know that is kind of high in sodium though. Also, you could add a soup mix to the rice.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's too bad you don't like sweet potatoes.
    On the BBQ, Mmmm

You can put some Soy sauce or something similiar and do a fry rice.

Put some chicken stock with the rice as it's cooking.
    Add frozen vegetables to the rice.

Sounds similiar to Memaw66's ideas.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Kebobs of zuchini, summer squash and mushrooms, sliced and lightly brushed with low-fat itallian dressing?
    I live on my grill in the spring/summer!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My favourite thing with steaks is to cook sliced onion, red peppers and sliced mushrooms in crushed garlic, black pepper, some water and red wine. Fry it without fat . It tastes so amazing with steak
  • Arienna
    Options
    Lol, yeah I LOVE grilling. I wish I liked sweet potatoes too because I know they're good for you! It's just about the only veggie I don't like. Well that and mushrooms (ewwww) lol. I think though, after looking up some stuff i'm going to saute some onions and garlic in olive oil and add it to it when its finished and add some basil or some other spice, I'm always messing around with tastes anyway.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Kebobs of zuchini, summer squash and mushrooms, sliced and lightly brushed with low-fat itallian dressing?
    I live on my grill in the spring/summer!

yumbo.............love that mix on a kebob!