how to balance workouts?

Options
maletac
maletac Posts: 767 Member
so i feel like im getting addicted to my cardio. i love my bike rides i love my hikes i love my runs.. usually cause i see improvements every week...

weight traing i feel like im neglecting.. :(
do my legs once a week because of all the cardio
abs twice.
back, arms, chest, shoulders all three times a week.

how do you find the balance between to much cardio and not enough weight training.?

im trying to eat more so i dont have to worry so much about my cardio

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Could I get some more details? How much running and cycling are you doing? Are you aiming for a certain amount of mileage with that?

Also, with the strength training you're currently doing, do you mean you're doing it 3 times per week, but including direct ab exercises two of those training sessions, and legs only once?
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    milage i dont know maybe 4 miles running.... cycling probably 10ish ............. each one of the cardio is probably over an hour maybe an hour and a half. thats about how long the hiking trails last and same with the bike rides

and yeah i tack on 2 ab workouts to whatever im doing for the day. and yeah legs only once a week if that. and strength trainign its usually arms and shoulders and chest and back.

i also usually on most days add yoga or stretching every night if i can just to help not get so sore.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    So you're directly working abs twice a day? That seems like overkill really. You may or may not already know this, but if you're doing this with the thought that it will help shrink your belly, it won't happen like that. You can't reduce fat from one area by doing targeted exercises.

I think maybe find a basic lifting program where you can progress the weight over time (linear progression) and stick with that. Most prescribe 3 days a week, but you can break most programming up to 2 days per week fairly easily if you don't want to do strength training that often. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 are good programs, but you'll probably not be adding as much weight to the bar as they prescribe right away. I'd use those exercises for sure though.

I've been on both sides of the coin (used to do some distance running, and now I'm primarily doing lifting, while doing C25K) so I know it can be difficult to balance both types of activities. Focus on what you enjoy the most, but keep your routine well-rounded and train smart.
  • gmjminsz
    gmjminsz Posts: 26
    Options
    What you say is a bit confusing - you seem to be doing 4 x weights sessions a week. How is that not enough? With cardio on top? And yoga? Unless your weight sessions are low intensity, I'd say you're over training

2 days weights x 4 days cardio a week is fine IMO or 3 weights, 3 cardio. I wouldn't do both on the same day. If you're lifting smart with high intensity, you can make decent gains with 2 x weight days a week.

Also, why are you doing a body part split? Unless you're an advanced lifter shifting big weights, I doubt you need a week for each body part to recover.

I'd do a simple full body for the weights if I were you, low reps and heavy with a push/pull balance. Squats and deads 5 x 5. Others 3 x 8

A
    Squats
    Good mornings or RDL
    OHP
    Pull ups
    Iso: Guns

B
    Deads
    Front Squats
    Bench
    BOR
    Iso: Calves

I don't think you need to hit abs directly with the above workout - lots of core involved in all these lifts. You won't get massive (not a great look anyway IMO), but I'm guessing you're in good shape already. Though a four mile run in an hour is a bit poor if I understand what you've said correctly :tongue: