breathing techniques for walking/jogging

Options
2»

Replies

• Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The C25K program on your phone is awesome. I've been attempting to be a runner for some time now and controlling breathing has been by biggest obstacle. I'm in agreement with the people that mentioned keeping your upper body loose. I catch myself clenching my hands and begin feeling tightness in my chest. I shake my arms and hands around to loosen them back up every time I begin gasping for air.
    As for the breathing in thru your nose, out thru your mouth.. I say however you can get air works the best! I can't concentrate on that and staying loose at the same time. I'm definitely going to try the foot stomp techniques mentioned, too.
    Thanks for the posts
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've not read all th other replies I'm afraid, but my advice is concentrate on getting your distance up and let you breathing sort itself out. I have heard of some new and some experienced runners, trying different breathing techniques, but at the end of the day, your body knows how to breathe in everyday and will figure out pretty quickly how to do it when you run (and once your cardio vascular fitness improves). Best wishes.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    try to kep your upper body still - the more you move the more the muscles around your lungs require oxygen and the more your chest will work to get it. I find if I twist my upper body too much I get tight and need bigger breathes. Since I was given this advice I can now run steady kms without suffering part way into the run of shortness of breath.

But I agree that in through the nose and out through the mouth doesnt generally work. Not for me anyway. Im and in and out through the mough kind of girl (seriously Im not sure how I havent yet eaten a bug!)

Lol! i started yesterday at a park with a lake near my home; I kept thinking those tiny flying things were going to go in my mouth too.

Jinxed myself today. Got a bug!!! All good, I needed more protein! LOL