A dancer's body

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
When the inevitable 'I don't wan to look bulky, I want a dancer's body' topic comes up I tend to roll my eyes. Because the 'bulky' look people keep deriding is exactly the type of body that dancer's tend to have.

So here's some examples of dancer's bodies and 'bulky' bodies.

11-5-dancers-body-pdf.jpg

lauren-plumey-thumb-300x451-1020.jpg

907207-0707.jpg

rorym_Games2010_HBergeronDeadlift_.jpg

img

jessica-sharratt.jpg

20100929_gleeabs_560x375.jpg

tumblr_lnvd19ab2m1qgjtfvo1_500.jpg

There's not that big a difference.

(for those who are curious I got these pictures by typing in 'dancer's body' and 'crossfit women's bodies')

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i don't count that as bulky at all, just beautifully toned
    this is what i call bulky :

972kr4.jpg
    which is impossible to be achieved without steroids so ladies don't be too scared to hit the weights!
  • Lozze
    Options
    Yup. That's exactly what I consider bulky. It's next to impossible for a woman to get that look. (I'm also suspecting steroids)
  • ATA92
    ATA92 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Beautyfrompai
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I agree, a friend of mine dated a (male) ballet dancer, I've honestly never seen a tighter, buffer body, really but lean. I went to a party with female dancers and while they were slim, they had muscles.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Many women fear they will become bulky with heavy weights, even though it is not true. In other words, they imagine the second picture in their mind. I don't think they would say any of those ladies are bulky :)
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Julianne Hough <3 I have SUCH a huge girl-crush on her lol She's so stunningly beautiful and fit!!!
  • Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options

20kyeqx.jpg

Drool!:love:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you lined all those girls up in the same out fit, not flexing, I bet you couldn't tell who was the dancer and who was lifting. All of those girls are very toned and defined. I don't think anyone would classify them as "bulky" . I think one girl had some super serious abs going on, other than that, the rest just look healthy and fit.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What you can have is greatly determined by genetics.

And you'd have to work harder than you think you have to get that "bulky" look you have in the pictures. those buiky girls are also probably at less than 20% bodyfat. You get that lean, you can just stop lifting if you think you are getting too bulky
  • Lozze
    Options
    If you lined all those girls up in the same out fit, not flexing, I bet you couldn't tell who was the dancer and who was lifting.

Exactly. I got the pictures of them doing their exercises because it was easier, but even doing their exercises you still can't see that big a difference.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    None of the "bulky" girls posted are actually bulky. The words I would use to describe them would be ripped, or lean, or athletic.

Not that the dancers have bad bodies, they have beautiful bodies, and most of those girls are also very strong. They just don't have visible muscles because they still have a (small) layer of fat over them. The difference is body fat.

I like this:

weights.jpg
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers is so stuck on this if I lift I'll look bulky. I finally showed her some photos and she is actually starting to weight train. Now I need to work on her lifting weights more than 5lbs :wink:
  • balfit
    balfit Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello !
    I'm new to the forum and hoping to share and contribute...
    I chose this theme to join because my wife is a dancer, but comes from a gymnastics and judo background. Dancing has changed her way of moving noticeably, but her body type (petite muscular) hasn't changed much, other than becoming leaner (and more defined)
    I believe that we could see a dancer and a crossfitter at rest and pick some differences in tone and symmetry. Watching them move would be a whole different appreciation.
    May all be well
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    You roll your eyes because you're so cool? What do you care what other women want for their own bodies? Perhaps "a dancer's body" isn't 100% accurate in it's description (tho I seriously doubt nipple girl is a ballerina), it's a certain look they want. It's so snotty to "roll your eyes" at other women's dreams. Offer advice, ignore, whatever. But don't look down on people like that.