How to get rid of "thunder thighs" ??? help!

Options
2»

Replies

• EvaJ20
    EvaJ20 Posts: 33
    Options
    Run, Run, and Run! :) I am pear shape too, and running always seems to do the trick.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm not so convinced about all the advice to do squats etc. I read an article by a personal trainer about exercising for your body type which said that if you're pear shaped (which I am) then you probably already have quite a lot of muscle on your thighs and doing squats etc will only increase that muscle. The advice was to avoid weight training on the lower body and instead go for long cardio exercises, like walking or running. Obviously there are a million conflicting bits of advice out there but I have to say this makes sense to me.

I think I have to agree with you on this one, as I am worried my legs would get even more muscular throught weight exercise than they are now. I am doing a lot of walking and jogging and I hope it will improve my leg shape though that as they look already more toned than before.

I do squats and lunges and my thighs went from 28 inches to a nice shapely 22 inches and firm not jiggly. So glad I didn't have someone telling me not to do them. Muscle is amazing and nothing will change your body more than weight lifting. Lift heavy or go home:wink:
  • SIRISH1983
    Options
    It sounds silly, but good old fashion, Jane Fonda leg lifts!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Okay, this thread could have been closed after the first dude said lift heavy and do cardio if you want. He was also right in telling you that you cannot spot reduce, as your body decides where the fat will come from first. Any programs that claim to give you a tighter *kitten* and sculpted thighs do not offer anything that a simple *kitten* TO GRASS squat can't take care of. Over complicating it can lead to major dissatisfaction. Just take it easy, work on fat loss with some overall strength training, and let your body take care of the rest.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Body Type: Big Bottom (Large Hips, Thighs and Rear)

If you fall into this category, the first secret to slimming down is to understand what type of body fat you’re fighting. Those with big bottoms are carrying around extra subcutaneous fat. This fat that appears just below your skin is actually healthier than belly fat; unfortunately, it is also harder to get rid of. Subcutaneous fat is associated with healthy cholesterol levels and fewer heart attacks, but it also has less blood flow and holds onto calories, which makes it tough to burn off.

Diet Plan: Eat a Low-fat Diet

Research shows that a low-fat diet actually helps break down stubborn fat cells in your bottom region.

Step 1: Cut Back on Saturated Fats

To get on track with a low-fat diet, begin by cutting down on saturated fats, including animal sources such as high-fat dairy and red meats. Eliminate hidden saturated fats such as hydrogenated oils found in processed foods.

Step 2: Include Low-fat Dairy in Every Meal

You don't have to cut out dairy entirely. Studies demonstrate that calcium helps to regulate the way fat cells store, build up and break down fat. Subsequently, low-fat dairy sources such as milk, yogurt and cottage cheese help promote weight loss. Choose low-fat (2%), not no-fat dairy.

Meal Sampler:

Butt-blasting Breakfast: Low-fat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola
    Lunch: Low-fat cottage cheese with tomatoes, cucumbers and grilled chicken
    Snack: Low-fat milk with dark chocolate cocoa
    Dinner: Lean turkey burger with low-fat cheddar cheese
    Workout for a Big-Bottom Body Type: Curtsy Squats & Rows

To work off a big-bottom area, do resistance training and get a cardio workout at the same time by using something called “complexes.” Complexes are a type of circuit training consisting of body sculpting moves, done back to back in a circuit format. Pears should combine curtsy squats and rows. You can do this routine with a resistance band or by holding milk cartons or cans. Start by doing a curtsy. Then, lean forward with your hips and go right into a rowing motion with your arms. Do as many as you can with good form in 30 seconds. Repeat this exercise 2-3 times. You’ll increase lean body tissue, boost your metabolism, and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Okay, this thread could have been closed after the first dude said lift heavy and do cardio if you want. He was also right in telling you that you cannot spot reduce, as your body decides where the fat will come from first. Any programs that claim to give you a tighter *kitten* and sculpted thighs do not offer anything that a simple *kitten* TO GRASS squat can't take care of. Over complicating it can lead to major dissatisfaction. Just take it easy, work on fat loss with some overall strength training, and let your body take care of the rest.

i believe that you need to get blood circulation to the body part you are working.. once you establish a good blood flow to the area your body can use these fat stores better than before.
  • alexandrahrah
    Options
    thank you for all the advice everyone!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm not so convinced about all the advice to do squats etc. I read an article by a personal trainer about exercising for your body type which said that if you're pear shaped (which I am) then you probably already have quite a lot of muscle on your thighs and doing squats etc will only increase that muscle. The advice was to avoid weight training on the lower body and instead go for long cardio exercises, like walking or running. Obviously there are a million conflicting bits of advice out there but I have to say this makes sense to me.

I think I have to agree with you on this one, as I am worried my legs would get even more muscular throught weight exercise than they are now. I am doing a lot of walking and jogging and I hope it will improve my leg shape though that as they look already more toned than before.

Muscle is denser that fat girls.. So the more muscle you have on your legs, the smaller and slimmer they look. The less muscle you have, the smaller and flabbier you look.. Which would you rather have? Personally, I'll choose option one. The personal trainer who said that clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

To OP:
    I'm pear shaped too, and I've found squats/lunges and leg presses help a lot. Go as heavy as you can, eat a deficit and you will see results.

Meanwhile, just to conflict again, I got great results on my legs with running. I am a true pear - not only do I gather fat around my bum and thighs, but I also have crazy amounts of muscle there (even when I was 125lbs at 5'7). The last thing I want to do is increase the size of that muscle with lifting (though running still gave me bulky house-kicking demolition legs). I stripped away basically alllllll my butt-fat with running, incline walking, hiking, and a bit of circuit training to build the strength.

Having said that, as always, some strength and some cardio is needed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Muscle is denser that fat girls.. So the more muscle you have on your legs, the smaller and slimmer they look. The less muscle you have, the smaller and flabbier you look.. Which would you rather have? Personally, I'll choose option one. The personal trainer who said that clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

To OP:
    I'm pear shaped too, and I've found squats/lunges and leg presses help a lot. Go as heavy as you can, eat a deficit and you will see results.

Meanwhile, just to conflict again, I got great results on my legs with running. I am a true pear - not only do I gather fat around my bum and thighs, but I also have crazy amounts of muscle there (even when I was 125lbs at 5'7). The last thing I want to do is increase the size of that muscle with lifting (though running still gave me bulky house-kicking demolition legs). I stripped away basically alllllll my butt-fat with running, incline walking, hiking, and a bit of circuit training to build the strength.

Having said that, as always, some strength and some cardio is needed.

If your eating at a deficit though, you won't increase the size of the muscle... it's already hard for us to put on muscle because we are women and don't have the hormones necessary to put on big bulky muscles.

The reason why they look bulky is because of the fat.. Strip more of the fat away and the bulk will go down.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I do squats and lunges and my thighs went from 28 inches to a nice shapely 22 inches and firm not jiggly. So glad I didn't have someone telling me not to do them. Muscle is amazing and nothing will change your body more than weight lifting. Lift heavy or go home:wink:

I do squats, lunges & lateral lunges*..... my thighs went from 23" of flab, to 23"'of FAB.
    *(body weight only, because I don't want them bigger, which they did get when I lifted heavy)

If you want better looking buns & thighs go for it, do what works for you. For me it's body weight exercises on my lower body, & lifting heavy for my upper body. I still have about 30lbs to lose, I can deal with the extra bulk in my arms (see my pic) but at this point I'm not wanting the extra added muscle I will gain in my lower body, been there, done that, not for me.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/top-10-moves-thinner-thighs?page=2

try these moves, a lot of them I do in dance and have seen awesome resutls.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Run, Run, and Run! :) I am pear shape too, and running always seems to do the trick.

Yes, yes, and yes! :bigsmile: I've had thunder thighs and a backside like a cart horse all my adult life. Five years ago I started running. Guess what happened?