If you eat too much while lifting heavy...

Options
Would that make women bulky? I know I always hear its not possible eating at a deficit, but I often eat way over. Over as in 2000-3000 calories total in a day kind of over.

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If you eat over your calories, you'll "bulk up, ie. gain fat.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Well I do know about the fat part, thats a given. I know when guys lift though they do eat a huge calorie surplus. Then they do cut cycles or something I think, I'm not too knowledgeable about all of it really but its just what I've read here and there. I'm wondering if I were to do that should I worry about being stuck with big muscles after I lower calories and lose more.

I usually eat a lot more on lifting days simply because I'm starving and light headed at around 1900 calories. Most of it is fruit, nuts and dairy though.

My real concern is making my legs bigger lol. I already have 35'' hips cause my quads are huge (not saying its a bad thing). I just wouldn't want to make them bigger over the long run.
  • gmjminsz
    gmjminsz Posts: 26
    Options

x2

Why are you eating so much? I'm a man at 86kg and I lift heavy but you eat more calories than me.

In terms of muscle, unless you're on da roids women lack the testosterone to get 'big'.

What's your routine and lifts out of interest?
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Females cannot get big and bulky, we lack the testosterone

For an average height female, 35" hips is not huge, that is normal...

Over-eating will make you gain weight/fat, not muscle

If you are hungry, than eat, but unless you are training as an olympic athlete, I don't think you need 3000 calories a day...
  • gmjminsz
    Options
    @OP - Competitive bodybuilders and power lifters will eat a huge surplus, but even serious trainers (e.g. me) who are not competitive won't.

The standard calorie surplus for men is +500 calories over your BMR when bulking. Equally, the deficit is -500. I'm not sure about women, but for a man, even when bulking, going above 15% body fat is pointless and difficult to lose.

As for your thighs, women are quad dominant in leg exercises. Take out heavy squats if you do them, or increase reps at lighter weights at 10 - 15 rep range.
  • victoria4321
    Options

x2

Why are you eating so much? I'm a man at 86kg and I lift heavy but you eat more calories than me.

In terms of muscle, unless you're on da roids women lack the testosterone to get 'big'.

What's your routine and lifts out of interest?

I was using mostly machines until recently. For the past month 3 days a week I've been doing the work outs below. I started to see a trainer to work on the form because I wasn't doing any free weights so my reps are high for now.

DB chest press 20lb 15reps/3 sets
    Barbell squat 60lbs 15reps/3 sets
    1 arm row 20lbs 15reps/3 sets
    DB lunges 15lbs 15reps/3 sets
    Romanian dead lift 60lbs 15reps/3 sets
    DB shoulder presses10lbs 20 reps/3 sets alternating arms
    That standing crunch work out where you lift your legs - 16reps for 3 sets
    alternating step ups with 15lb db 20 reps/ 3 sets alternating
    push ups, a little wider than shoulder width 15 reps/ 3 sets
    lat pull 70lbs 15 reps/3 sets
    pull ups/chin ups - 2 of each for 3 sets unassisted
    bicep curls 15reps/ 3 sets
    tricep curls 15 reps/ 3 sets (I add plates to a curl bar but I forgot the weight)

I know it's a lot cause I need a nap after. My trainer mostly just showed me work outs to do but I'm not sure how to format it yet so I just do them all. In addition to that, one day a week I'll do a 4.5 mile run (usually takes just under 40min) and another day I'll run a mile then sprint stairs at the park for around 45min total.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Here's a group that may be of interest to you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Females cannot get big and bulky, we lack the testosterone

For an average height female, 35" hips is not huge, that is normal...

Over-eating will make you gain weight/fat, not muscle

If you are hungry, than eat, but unless you are training as an olympic athlete, I don't think you need 3000 calories a day...

Oh no, I'm not saying that I "need" to eat it. I'm actually hoping that once I adjust to everything I won't be eating like an animal lol. I haven't been gaining weight eating that much, but I'm not losing either which I'm also okay with for now. Its kind of like how I used to always be hungry when I started training for soccer season when I was in school but then it levels out after maybe two months.

I never got big then, but I wasn't lifting anything other than body weight at the time also.

I also meant the 35" is fine compared to my other measurements. I wouldn't want my hips any bigger only because I'm small on top.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I admit, I skimmed this thread. I just wanted to chime in:

1. It is very hard to gain actual muscle.
    2. 35" hips are not big. That's what mine are and I'm a size 2/4.
    3. Figure out your TDEE with a moderate activity factor and eat at that. You will NOT bulk up.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting competitively (my previous life) I gained 30 pounds. A lot of it was muscle/water in the muscle, and I'm sure a lot of it was just being ravenous and eating everything under the sun! It will chill as your body gets used to things. Just keep it in check. You won't bulk way up. I was a powerlifter, and while I have a large frame to begin with - I never lost femininity. PS - you're not lifting HEAVY. It's okay :)
  • gmjminsz
    Options
    To be frank, those lifts are not heavy for a girl lifter and thus you're eating way too much. I would view 60kg bench, 80kg squat and a 90kg deadlift as very strong lifts for a girl.

Here's a link to a girl lifter on menshealth that you may find useful.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/community/forums/thread/1300382

I'd structure your workout like this:

A
    Squats 3 x 15
    RDL
    Wk 1 Barbell BOR Wk 2 One arm DB row
    Wk 1 Incline Bench Wk 2 Flat DB press
    Core: supermans/hanging leg raises/Russian twists (superset)

B
    Deadlifts 5 x 5
    Bulgarian split squats
    Wk 1 Pull ups Wk 2 Chin ups
    Wk1 Clean and press Wk 2 Standing OHP
    Isos: dips and curls (superset)

Both free weights and machines are useful. However, if you're a beginner, free weights are better. Machines can be good when you're more advanced to isolate muscles for hypertrophy. The advantage of free weights for you is that they will use more calories by engaging the core more, and also engage stabilizing muscles for overall strength gains and, ultimately, injury prevention.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    When I first started lifting competitively (my previous life) I gained 30 pounds. A lot of it was muscle/water in the muscle, and I'm sure a lot of it was just being ravenous and eating everything under the sun! It will chill as your body gets used to things. Just keep it in check. You won't bulk way up. I was a powerlifter, and while I have a large frame to begin with - I never lost femininity. PS - you're not lifting HEAVY. It's okay :)

I know it's not that heavy for now because I want to have good form before dropping my reps, no need to be condescending. I'm saying heavy relatively, as in I do them all until failure. Eventually I plan on dropping my reps for everything but what would the use be if I'm not even doing it right.

I was asking as more of a hypothetical question because for almost every thread I've read it's always "You don't get bulky eating at a deficit" So I was curious as to what happens when eating at a surplus. The lack of testosterone answer makes sense though :)
  • KristalDawnO
    Options
    Wasn't being condescending. Truth is - with the surplus you're eating, you will gain weight. Every pound gained is 3,200 extra calories. Sounds like you're well on your way.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    To be frank, those lifts are not heavy for a girl lifter and thus you're eating way too much. I would view 60kg bench, 80kg squat and a 90kg deadlift as very strong lifts for a girl.

Here's a link to a girl lifter on menshealth that you may find useful.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/community/forums/thread/1300382

I'd structure your workout like this:

A
    Squats 3 x 15
    RDL
    Wk 1 Barbell BOR Wk 2 One arm DB row
    Wk 1 Incline Bench Wk 2 Flat DB press
    Core: supermans/hanging leg raises/Russian twists (superset)

B
    Deadlifts 5 x 5
    Bulgarian split squats
    Wk 1 Pull ups Wk 2 Chin ups
    Wk1 Clean and press Wk 2 Standing OHP
    Isos: dips and curls (superset)

Both free weights and machines are useful. However, if you're a beginner, free weights are better. Machines can be good when you're more advanced to isolate muscles for hypertrophy. The advantage of free weights for you is that they will use more calories by engaging the core more, and also engage stabilizing muscles for overall strength gains and, ultimately, injury prevention.

That makes sense. I only did machines first because they have instructions on the machines lol. I'm not saying my lifts are strong or saying I'm a big time lifter. I was more curious as to what happens to all the big heavy lifters who don't follow a lower calorie diet. I just want to make sure of things before I lower my reps and increase weight.

I also don't gain any weight eating that much either or at least I haven't gained any in the past month. I just won't lose any at that many cals. A few months ago I was losing at around 2200-2500 calories a day. That's just total calories, not net. I definitely probably ate way more than that also when I played soccer or ran track too. I just didn't count calories, but I weighed less at the time.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    First of all, ignore the arrogant who are saying you aren't lifting heavy because you aren't doing their notion of heavy. Heavy is different for every person.

Secondly, if you're going to be lifting heavy I highly recommend an organized program rather than doing it on your own. My husband is having great success with Stronglifts 5x5 - many others on this site are on this lifting regiment. For myself, I am getting into New Rules of Lifting for women which uses a combination of weights and body to build muscle. The book isn't too expensive and their is a companion forum with a ton of info.

Thirdly, you are definitely eating a ton of calories. You'll need to calculate TDEE and BMR to figure out where your number lies. I eat to my BMR at least and then eat back at least 50-60% exercise calories, sometimes a bit more than that if I'm hungry. The 50% is simply because I don't have an HRM and it accounts for error.

Lastly, you won't bulk, as stated unless you are on steroids. Women don't have the testosterone :) Strong is the new skinny so don't worry about strong legs! As for 35in hips, that is not big, but if you are small on top work on building muscle to tone it up!

Feel free to add me or msg me if you want to chat more! Good luck!
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Wasn't being condescending. Truth is - with the surplus you're eating, you will gain weight. Every pound gained is 3,200 extra calories. Sounds like you're well on your way.

All this before knowing what I even do during the day or my activity level? Okay. Not saying your logic is wrong but I'm not eating 2000 calories on top of my regular calories. I should probably reword my original post to make that a little more clear maybe. I'm eating that much in total. I'd probably get sick trying a 3200 calorie surplus.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Would that make women bulky? I know I always hear its not possible eating at a deficit, but I often eat way over. Over as in 2000-3000 calories total in a day kind of over.
    yes but it's not as easy as most women think. You''ll either get fat...or gain very little muscle and a whole bunch of fat. You have to eat a lot of protein and maintain a small amount of extra calories over the bmr or else gains will be fat mostly (from my own experience). Losing weight is much easier than gaining muscle. At least twice as easy.
  • KristalDawnO
    Options
    It's all cumulative. Look at the calories you're eating over and beyond what your body is burning/needs. If you want to feed your muscles, maybe check into getting some protein supplements - such as Isopure. It's good stuff, and will help with repair. You won't be as hungry either. Good luck, and don't go too heavy too fast. The high reps/lower weight is where you'll make your gains. You may also want to check into a percentage chart. You'll be able to structure your workouts based on a percentage of your max.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    It's all cumulative. Look at the calories you're eating over and beyond what your body is burning/needs. If you want to feed your muscles, maybe check into getting some protein supplements - such as Isopure. It's good stuff, and will help with repair. You won't be as hungry either. Good luck, and don't go too heavy too fast. The high reps/lower reps is where you'll make your gains.

Thank you :) I eventually want to make strength gains I just wanted to make sure it'll be just that and not size lol. As for supplements I'm not too into them really. I try to eat natural and whole foods as much as possible.