For the 500,000 time EATING MORE WORKS

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    it's science and everyone is different.... I'd rather eat enough food to have my organs function the right way then deprive them because it sounds better if i eat 1000 calories... but thats common sense....

Nope - we are not different.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    ok, but I don't understand it, the reason most of us are here is because we ate high calories.......so how is eating high calories supposed to make us lose? I am 5ft 51/2 and at my highest 174 now at 146 and want to be at 135.........I cannot seem to lose that last 10 lbs! I am at 1200 cal/day but I work out 4 days a week and burn anywhere from 400-800 each time. I am scared as all hell to increase cals, ive worked so hard to just get here ya know?
    Most of us are here because we ate WAY higher calories (way over our maintenance level, which the body stores as fat). When you consider what we should be eating to fuel our bodies and lose weight in a healthy fashion, it helps to think in terms of the RIGHT amount of calories, rather than high calories - which, for the majority of people who exercise and want sustainable weight loss - is a lot more than the 1200 figure tossed about so often.
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    So just to absolutely clarify...if I'm increasing my cals from 1290 to 1400 - I should be eating all my exercise calories back to achieve 1400 NET. This is correct yes?

My BMR is 1429 and my TDEE is 2,386. I exercise 5 times a week. I'm 5'6" and age 53

Would appreciate someone clarifying this for me. Thanks.

You should eat above 1429 and less than 2,386 NET. Try 1,886, net.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    BMR is 1373 and I'm not sure what TDEE is? 1574?

your TDEE would be much higher than that as you are an active person, not sedentary. ( I am assuming that you are on your feet all day at work as a nurse)

1373 x 1.55 = 2128.

deduct 20% for fat loss gives you 1702.
    or the flat calorie deduction of 500 calories for a lb = 2128 - 500 = 1628

Did you enter yourself as sedentary or active on MFP?

I did lightly active, but I'm sure I need to adjust it. So, I should be eating 1700 plus my exercise calories?

Yup! It's nuts, I know, but I've been at it for 10 days now and feel great!! It's rough the first few days but don't get discouraged, it gets easier, you'll stop feeling so full. Feel free to up it slowly, like up 100 cals every 3 days or so until you reach where you want to be.

Also if you're doing strength training I would go into MFP's custom goal settings and change your macros (carbs/fat/protein) to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. It will help with your strength training. Feel free to add me if you have any questions, I've just upped my cals recently and just started weight training as well :)
  • Mskraizy
    Mskraizy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :huh: I'm still very confused.

So I guess based on my BMR thing I should be eating 1,722. My daily calorie intake is like 1630 a day so how is that helping? I just went to that fat2fit site someone posted and they said for someone with my lifestyle, I should start eating 2446 a day. Generally, I get to about 1300-1400 cals a day and I lose pretty steadily but since everyone is saying they're losing way more I was gonna try it but I'm so confuuuuused now! So what, i need to eat past my intake now?

Still don't get this, guess that's why I never got into it.:indifferent:
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was set at 1350 and lost 11 pounds then i hit a plateau that lasted for over a month. I just upped to 1570 and changed my macros a bit so i'm eating more protein. I stopped eating processed carbs just to see what happened and i lost three pounds this first week of trying it. Guess we will see what happens next week......good luck to everyone!!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    For those who have success by increasing calories, do you notice any difference in your energy levels, physical activity, motivation to do activities, etc. or is the only thing that changes is additional weight loss?
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ok, but I don't understand it, the reason most of us are here is because we ate high calories.......so how is eating high calories supposed to make us lose? I am 5ft 51/2 and at my highest 174 now at 146 and want to be at 135.........I cannot seem to lose that last 10 lbs! I am at 1200 cal/day but I work out 4 days a week and burn anywhere from 400-800 each time. I am scared as all hell to increase cals, ive worked so hard to just get here ya know?

this is just MY personal experience.. but as someone who is 5'5.5".. who hovered (for a year i might add) at 140-145 pounds.. i found adding calories to be the most helpful thing i did to finally meet (and then exceed) my weight loss goal of 135.. i was tired of eating 1200 calories a day and feeling guilty every time i found myself in a situation where i couldn't avoid extra calories or control the menu.. so i decided that i was in it for the long haul and changed my settings from 2lbs/week to 1lb/week.. that gave me a few more calories to work with.. and when my weight loss didnt completely stall (and actually continued at a steadier pace with fewer cravings and binges) i decided i could be patient and changed my settings to 1/2lb per week.. the last 10-12 pounds ended up taking me 3 months and despite my 1/2lb per week goal i actually averaged 1lb/week weight loss anyway..

im currently eating at maintenance levels and eating all my exercise calories back and im still losing weight.. so ill likely be changing my activity level in the next few weeks to eat even more and hopefully level off.. as long as you're not underestimating your food or overestimating your exercise (which a lot of people do) i really think a slower pace and a fuller stomach is the way to go.. when i think back to net-ing 1200 calories my stomach growls..

i know 1200 calories WORKS for some people.. and if its working who am i to say do otherwise.. but for some people (like me) it wasn't really working anymore.. and there are other options that MAY work better for you.. good luck everyone :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for negative results. I know it takes time.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So just to absolutely clarify...if I'm increasing my cals from 1290 to 1400 - I should be eating all my exercise calories back to achieve 1400 NET. This is correct yes?

My BMR is 1429 and my TDEE is 2,386. I exercise 5 times a week. I'm 5'6" and age 53

Would appreciate someone clarifying this for me. Thanks.

You should NOT eat below your BMR.
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    For those that are "doubting" the eating process...it's not HOW much you eat.....it's WHAT you eat to reach those calorie goals!!

It means add another cup or two of veggies, or increase your protein by 100 cals....NOT by adding MORE of a different item to what you are already eating.

Think of your body as a car with a gas tank....as you are "driving" your metabolism gauge goes to "low gas" and needs to be refueled every 2 to 3 hrs (any longer then that will trigger poor food choices because your blood sugar levels will be off whack) ...good snack choices are low fat cheese slice with apple slices, almonds(12 to 15) and an orange, or the best are pistachios because you can have close to 50 of them I think., yogurt with real fruit (not the yogurt with the fruit in it...they tend to have additional sugar), veggies and a low cal dressing, sweet potato....the list goes on...

If your car ran out of gas, you wouldn't choose the first liquid you see to put in it and expect it to run properly would you? No...you head to the gas station because you know it's what makes it run properly....the same needs to go for our bodies

Schedule your eating times so that they aren't when you are hungry...I have found that in doing that it prevents me from making poor eating choices...plus I keep my snacks handy..apples and oranges are out on the counter in pretty bowls....my almonds are pre-measured so I don't take too much...
    I obviously can go on and on...it just drives me bonkers when I read on here that people can't hit the 1200 cal....I would love to see your food menus then!! I bet they have pizza slices, chips and crackers on them....how about putting fish, salad, yogurt, almonds, fruit...on it instead...REAL FOOD HAS REAL CALORIES.

Some good advise :smile:
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ittybitty22
    Ittybitty22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i i agree wit brooke penne
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I had a complex about eating more but I finally got over it and gave it a shot. I don't always lose pounds but I do always lose half an inch + off my waist and quarter of an inch + on my hips
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Shld my net cals always be my BMR? Is that the way to do this? Sometimes I work out 500 cals, sometimes 1000, but believe me, 500 wld be a lot easier to fit in my sched.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    it's soooooooooooo good to know that we can't eat more if we want to :)
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I hit a month long plateau, upped my calories and BAM! lost an inch on my waist and thighs in 6 days. I'm a believer :)
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    When I first came here, I was eating 1200, sometimes less. I felt AWFUL. Then I quit.

I came back, adjusted my goals and have a comfortable 1600. I've been here almost 6 weeks and at first, the scales wouldn't budge. I was in tears and beyond frustrated. I quit my job and started getting more sleep (I worked wee morning hours). After four and a half weeks of nothing, I started OWNING the scale. I suspect at least another pound loss by the end of the week (fingers crossed, anyway)!

I feel better than I ever have...and I don't deprive myself of anything. I just choose healthier choices for what I crave. I try to eat LESS processed and sodium-filled foods and prepare as MUCH at home as possible. But...I still go out for fast food on occasion and drink a lot of water.

I look back on the girl that was eating 1200 and wonder how I could EVER have survived on that.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A couple of my friends on here need to do this... and yes, I've begged them to up their calories but everyone is so afraid of gaining weight. Like a few people have said... all I can do is preach it and hope they see from my experience that it works.