For the 500,000 time EATING MORE WORKS

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Zoedallas your diary isn't open so I don't know if you do this but if you are looking to change body shape (getting rid of the muffin top) lifting heavy (for you) weights will help a lot.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Zoedallas your diary isn't open so I don't know if you do this but if you are looking to change body shape (getting rid of the muffin top) lifting heavy (for you) weights will help a lot.
    Thanks for the advice. :)

I'm trying to work up to that. Right now I'm on my 3rd week of Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack. So far I'm still only able to do 20 minutes at a time. :( I'm horribly out of shape. I have a bad back/neck so I have to really ease into this so I don't get hurt.

Any particular weight lifting exercises you would recommend?

EDIT: I finally figured out how to make my diary public. Today was my rest day so today wasn't typical for me.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Please read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501511-great-read-on-plateau-ing

This explains everything you want to know about how your metabolism works in terms of calorie intake, and exercise output. You need to know your RMR (BMR) and then calculate your TDEE (Maintenance) which is RMR+Activity level including exercise.

Then create a deficit by subtracting 20% from TDEE or a flat 500 cals to lose a lb a week - as long as that is above RMR. As you lose weight, these numbers change and as you get closer to goal, you should eat closer to maintenance.

Also it take several weeks for the body to adjust to any changes you make, so do one at a time, either calorie adjustment or exercise adjustment, and give it at least 4 weeks to see results.

When I first did this, I lost 4 lbs, then gained 2 then lost 1, then gained, until after 4 weeks I settled into 0.5 - 1 lb loss per week for the last 8 weeks.

Its important to be patient and persistant until you find the sweet spot that works for you. Good luck to all.
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also here is a great link to calculate your TDEE:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • slimgal613
    Options
    This will be my second week at increasing cal intake. Gone from 1200 to 1500. I am pretty active; workout 5x weekly. No movement on the scale last week, hoping for something this coming week. But I will be patient. I am losing inches...so that makes me happy too.
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A LOT of people, including myself, are scared ****less of the thought of eating more but there are too many sucess stories out there claiming it works, so after a long struggle of my own, I have decided to give it a try, and if it works for me, I shall be shouting it from the rooftops!!!

Well done on your sucess!

^^^ This. I have to say, I upped my calories to 1700 and I've been so much more successful... I dont get it at all. But. Obviously it works.
  • TrinaCanDoThis
    Options
    bump
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    When I ate more 3 weeks ago I GAINED and am having a STRUGGLE getting it off and have STALLED! I just don't know what to believe! I am so upset and do not know what to do. I thought at 80 days in I'd be at my weight!

Sorry so negative please understand where I am coming from.

Is this just for people out of their BMI?? Cause mine is 22.

HELP!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    When I ate more 3 weeks ago I GAINED and am having a STRUGGLE getting it off and have STALLED! I just don't know what to believe! I am so upset and do not know what to do. I thought at 80 days in I'd be at my weight!

HELP!

It's probably because you're so close to your goal. I've seen in other threads here that people who have just a few more pounds to go change their MFP goal to lose "half a pound per week." I don't know if you're already tried that or if you've experimented with different exercises, less exercise, etc.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No I haven't! THANKS! I will do that right now! Love ya!:drinker:
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    No I haven't! THANKS! I will do that right now! Love ya!:drinker:

You're welcome! And keep us posted :smile:
  • michellegr88
    Options
    Its true....I found the same thing....I was trying for two whole weeks to lose weight at 1200.....I gained three pounds....and then I went up to 1800 and I have lost four. Its amazing....I also find I am not starving and feeling like a child sent to bed hungry.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    M

HELP!

Go here first and work out your BMR and TDEE using this -

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Then answer these questions

Age -
    Height -
    BMR -
    TDEE on nonworkout days -
    TDEE on workout days -

Current weight -
    Goal weight -

Amount of total calories eaten you were on for lowest calories -
    How long you have been eating at the lowest calories -

What total calories eaten you increased to -
    How long you stayed on this increase -

Do you have a history of yo-yo dieting or is this your first weight loss attempt ?

Sounds like you are pretty near goal weight.
  • territhayer
    Options
    BMR is on here It is the calories your boby uses before any exersice or anything. they go by height,age weight and gender at top of page
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ok I just don't buy it....everyone in this thread who had 'success' with upping their calories has less than a few pounds or weeks worth of proof. No long-term people (on this particular thread) are saying it worked for them...long term as in 20 pounds or over a few months. I have tried it...got stuck after losing 40 pounds on 1200 calls a day for 4 months...so tried 1450 for 2 whole months...lost 3 pounds in three days and not a half pound a month since then. I am actually back on here looking for motivation to kick back to the 1200 calls which worked for me....until a huge plateau. Which now I am wishing I had just worked through at the 1200. Ugh

So nope...doesn't work for everyone...give it time...it may work for way less people than you think.

You were looking for people who had done this successfully long term and I found it for you!! :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation?error_user_id=9613082&error_username=RachelSRoach1

Here is another one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518533-major-sucess-with-higher-calories?

It is now locked as it had 500 posts but you can still view it
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Topic is misleading because it doesn't tell you what to eat. Eat more protein and vegetables, not carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1228
    TDEE = 1474

I'm currently on a 1200 cal plan. I only have about 5 more pounds to lose. And I still have that dang muffin top which I'm trying to exercise away. Progress is painfully slow.

The link recommended states:

"As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point."

That would put me right back to 1200 (or less) which is what I'm already doing.

Any comments or suggestions?

The 1,474 is probably not actually your TDEE if I recognize the quote correctly (fit2fat?) - it is the number you need to eat to lose weight (the calculations deduct 20% from your TDEE to get the suggested calorie goal). You should be eating nearer 1,500.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    1 week ago I took advice from another thread and found out my BMR and TDEE measurements and increased my calories to 1500
    and this week lost 1.5 pounds....

So for those of you who "Can't stay under 1200 cals" it's really not necessary
    Well done you. It must be amazing to lose weight at 1500 a day. 1200 might not be necessary for you, but it is for me. At 1200 a day, I lose about a pound every two to three weeks.

Unfortunately, for someone of my height and weight, 1500 calories is MORE than TDEE.

I'm heartily sick of seeing this type of "one size fits all" advice, it's bad enough having such a low BMR, without having people's higher intakes rammed down my throat all the time on here.

YES for someone of average height, who is overweight, they can eat more. That doesn't apply to everyone!

It is a one size fits all - if you eat between your BMR and TDEE you WILL lose weight.

it's impossible not to, as TDEE is your daily energy expenditure, i.e maintenence.

if you don't then you have miscalculated .

for you that may not be a very high number, but the maths will still apply.