pasta suggestions

Replies

• TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 684 Member
    http://miraclenoodle.com/

I just saw that like 2 days ago. I haven't tried it, and it looks kind of expensive

That's a new one. Will have to research it a bit.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    We love to use quinoa pasta but there are not as many shapes- yum pasta!
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 235 Member
    Just a suggestion Hungry Girl has a pasta noodle swap and it is Tofu Shirataki, see nutritional info below, I have had tofu before and it matches what you put with it. I have not tried the noodles b/c they are not sold near me but you can buy them on line. Good luck and if you try these let all of us pasta lovers know if it is worth the swap.. Happing pasta-ing... P.S. I think they are sold at a store"Whole Foods"

Nutritional Info:

Serving Size: 4 oz.
    Calories: 20
    Fat: .5g
    Carbs: 3g
    Protein: 1g
    Fiber: 2g

Thank you, I will have to give that a try also. There is a whole foods about 30 minutes from me.

Hi I am full blooded Italian mom has all the recipes in her brain-! I am originally from Manhattan,. NY okay so here is my suggestion I eat the Barilla whole wheat it's the only one I can stand closest to white you can get I have tried it all. On the shiritake I just can't do it, its okay but for me not again, I don't want to adapt my pasta fix to that extreme I sure other people can its not for me. Hope this helps
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    I too love pasta so I started buying pasta in the 'organic' section of my supermarket. I like Bionature organic whole wheat pasta and Hodgson Mill whole wheat whole grain pastas. DeCecco makes some decent pastas, but their whole wheat pasta has a tendency to taste a little like cardboard - savory sauces/spices work well with it though.
    There's really no reason you can't eat regular pasta, just measure it. You'd be surprised at what 2oz of dry pasta yields when cooked. You can also rework some of the ingredients for the sauces, etc. Take it easy on the cheese and you'll be good to go!
  • TheWinman
    I too love pasta so I started buying pasta in the 'organic' section of my supermarket. I like Bionature organic whole wheat pasta and Hodgson Mill whole wheat whole grain pastas. DeCecco makes some decent pastas, but their whole wheat pasta has a tendency to taste a little like cardboard - savory sauces/spices work well with it though.
    There's really no reason you can't eat regular pasta, just measure it. You'd be surprised at what 2oz of dry pasta yields when cooked. You can also rework some of the ingredients for the sauces, etc. Take it easy on the cheese and you'll be good to go!

rework the ingredients with the sauce? I don't know if I could go that far. :) Surprisingly, I have done much better over the years at taking it easy with the cheese.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Honestly, the flour in Europe are less refined and more protein packed. American flour used in pasta and bread (even whole wheat) is the cast off of ultra refined wheat. When you use hearty flours with higher protein/fiber content things end up harder - that's why European bread feels harder, denser, and stiffer. The same for the pasta - better and more nutritious flour. So when you go to the store look for packages with the highest fiber/protein content.

Also, pasta isn't hard to make. The dough can even be frozen. I know you don't want to make your own, but generally, pasta is flour, eggs, water - knead until your arms fall off. (Great upper body workout!)
  • TheWinman
    Honestly, the flour in Europe are less refined and more protein packed. American flour used in pasta and bread (even whole wheat) is the cast off of ultra refined wheat. When you use hearty flours with higher protein/fiber content things end up harder - that's why European bread feels harder, denser, and stiffer. The same for the pasta - better and more nutritious flour. So when you go to the store look for packages with the highest fiber/protein content.

Also, pasta isn't hard to make. The dough can even be frozen. I know you don't want to make your own, but generally, pasta is flour, eggs, water - knead until your arms fall off. (Great upper body workout!)

Thanks, I did not know that about European pasta. It does make sense though. I have thought about making my own pasta, I should at least give it try some day.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    I've lost 53lbs so far and am a very healthy weight, working on the last little bid (and toning of course) and I did it all while still eating pasta, as it is my favourite food and I adore it :)

What I do is I eat the nicest, most delicious pasta (fresh if possible) that I can find in the store, but I measure out 75g-100g and make sure to eat a HUGE portion of vegetables with it to fill me up, or I incorporate them into the sauce (I also make sauces from scratch mostly!) Some that taste really good are mushrooms, red onions, roasted bell pepper & courgette :) I also find that if I make a tuna pasta dish with the above amount of pasta I am very full and satisfied!

Mind you, I'm a girl and I'm kind of short, so perhaps you could eat more than me and still get the same results!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    ^after all, they say the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest on the planet, and they include real pasta :)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Yeah, those "miracle noodles" taste like crap.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    My partner eats lower carb than I do, so we buy the Dreamfields pastas so we can both enjoy them. It tastes great, you'd never know its a lower carb product. I wish our stores would carry the Dreamfields lasagne, though...I love lasagne, but don't want to make a whole big pan just for myself.
  • TheWinman
    Yeah, those "miracle noodles" taste like crap.

Whenever I see the name miracle in the product name, a red flag always pops up in my brain.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member

Thanks, I did not know that about European pasta. It does make sense though. I have thought about making my own pasta, I should at least give it try some day.

There's lots of good tutorials on making your own pasta online. You don't need a pasta maker, just a rolling pin and a knife to cut it into strips. Just google for some tutorials. That's what I did, and it really isn't as hard as you would think, but my arms were sore after all that kneading. :)
  • TheWinman

There's lots of good tutorials on making your own pasta online. You don't need a pasta maker, just a rolling pin and a knife to cut it into strips. Just google for some tutorials. That's what I did, and it really isn't as hard as you would think, but my arms were sore after all that kneading. :)

This should be real interesting, I already make a mess of the kitchen when I cook anything. lol
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Ronzoni smart taste pasta is what I occasionally eat, I am not really into pasta or high quality/fresh pasta, but this is sufficient for me.

Serving Size: 2oz (56g) Dry Uncooked
    Servings per Container: About 7
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 170 Calories from Fat 5
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.5g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 40g 13%
    Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 6g
    Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
    Vitamin D 25% • Calcium 30%
    Thiamin 35% • Riboflavin 15%
    Niacin 20% • Folate 30%
    Iron 10%
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Can you get the Seeds of Change brand over there? I used to hate wholewheat pasta, but their semi-wholewheat version is great and so is the spinach variety. I now actually prefer them to white pasta. I too have started weighing my portions and find I can have a good filling pasta meal whenever I want, I was just using too much before
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    I recently started making my own pasta and it is really easy and fun. I would suggest you trying that- you can end up trying SO many different varieties and getting some veggies in, too. I made whole wheat spinach pasta and planning on trying beet and carrot next. You can't really taste the veggies and allows you to use less flower...so more healthy! Let me know if you are interested in instructions.
  • stacie48
    stacie48 Posts: 63 Member
    I have been using pearled barley as a substitute for rice and sometimes pasta. It is much lower in carbs. Trying it is like a fake out and healthy for you. Best of luck to you.
  • SLippi
    SLippi Posts: 22 Member
    sing4me4you, Good idea with the Barilla multigrain. I have seen it but have been hesitant to try it out. Barilla is my normal pasta brand.

Definately worth a shot, I love pasta and Barilla is my go to brand. Recently tried the multigrain and it's pretty good. I normally hate change but if I remember correctly 50% multigrain and 50% regular barilla so it will help ease the transition to healthier pastas.
  • TheWinman
    Just a suggestion Hungry Girl has a pasta noodle swap and it is Tofu Shirataki, see nutritional info below, I have had tofu before and it matches what you put with it. I have not tried the noodles b/c they are not sold near me but you can buy them on line. Good luck and if you try these let all of us pasta lovers know if it is worth the swap.. Happing pasta-ing... P.S. I think they are sold at a store"Whole Foods"

Nutritional Info:

Serving Size: 4 oz.
    Calories: 20
    Fat: .5g
    Carbs: 3g

Thank you, I will have to give that a try also. There is a whole foods about 30 minutes from me.

Hi I am full blooded Italian mom has all the recipes in her brain-! I am originally from Manhattan,. NY okay so here is my suggestion I eat the Barilla whole wheat it's the only one I can stand closest to white you can get I have tried it all. On the shiritake I just can't do it, its okay but for me not again, I don't want to adapt my pasta fix to that extreme I sure other people can its not for me. Hope this helps

I learned to make my sauce from watching my Mom, but that was a choir in itself. 1)She did not have to measure anything, she could just tell when the correct amount of anything was added. 2)She added wine to her sauce and she was pretty drunk by the time she was done. LOL RIP Mom!!! I miss you.