Your stomach, after having a child.......

Options
Is it possible to ever have a flat tummy, if you have the "pooch" ? Everyone I have talked to says, oh theres now way you can lose that. I mean Im 5'6 154.2lbs and I want to get down to 125-130. So according to everyone I've talked to, I'll never have a flat stomach.... Im not going to lie its very upsetting to have someone say that to you. My son is 8 years old now, and this is the first time that I have tried to lose weight, but Im already discouraged already, just from what people are saying. So if theres anyone that has before and after pictures of your tummy, or advice or anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Ashley

Replies

• Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I havent had kids so I cant speak from personal experience but I've seen plenty of 'Yummy Mummy' types on here sporting flat tummy's... Don't panic yet - they're out there and it does happen! I think the Naysayers are actually just trying to discourage you from doing something they couldn't be bothered to try!
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    Everyone is different. For some people, everything snaps right back to where it was before. For others, not so much. Wait and see what happens. The younger you are, typically the more elasticity your skin has. If it's that important to you, there's always the possibility of a tummy tuck down the road :-)
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    From a medical standpoint only the only way this can be true is from scar tissue from a poorly done c section. Outside of that and I don't mean this in a mean way a lot of people use it as an excuse. A woman's body is incredible in that it is able to heal from the very demanding task of having a child. The big thing to start to do is core strengthening. Yoga, Pilates, and trx are all great low impact ways to do this. Planks, and Swiss ball balance workout work as well. This will start to pull those muscles back into place. Outside of that rebuilding the muscles of your body through strength training and cardio will take the fat off to show those abs once again. Good luck!
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would definately like to see this as well. I'm sure a good portion of what is possible depends on how much your skin stretched and how long it stayed stretched (if you didn't lose many inches after having baby). But some inspiration from ladies who have been there would be great!
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    It just depends on heredity, your age etc.
    That being said..
    3yrs ago (and after having 4 children and gaining TONS of weight) I got down to my smallest I had been since H.S. I went from 180lbs to 125lbs and wore a teeny bikini that summer. Flat stomache, no pouch, and luckily for me no stretch marks on my tummy. I unexpectedly got pregnant again at 34 and my son is now 2.5yrs old and I am working on getting there again. I suggest Yoga and Pilates for definition, strength and toning. I didn't use any weights and was in the shape of my life. It IS possible!
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It really depends on a number of factors, age, number of kids, etc....but, mostly it is just genetics. Some people can have a ton of babies and you can hardly tell, others (like me) wont be so lucky. My stomach is covered in stretch marks and saggy skin.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i have seen mothers with flat stomachs that dont even look like they have had children. so it is possible. im 5'3' 121lbs its a work in progress for sure. i think the lower your body fat the flatter it will be. i notice the more i lose the better that area looks, toning isnt coming very easy. i also hear diet is a big part of it. good luck mama :)
  • Triple3boys
    Options
    Don't listen to what other people say. I have friends that have had children and they have flat tummy's. It's possible, very possible. I have had 3 children, and I do have the pooch. However, I had a pooch before I even had my first kid. This is where I carry my weight. I could get down to an ideal size pooch if I work hard enough at it. I can do this...I just have to work at it.

No matter what, NEVER say NEVER!!! You can do it, just put your mind to it and get it done. That's why you are on this blog and that's why I am on this blog. To get the support and encouragement needed to succeed. Together we can be the "flat pooch" sisters!!!

God Bless You and try not to be so hard on yourself.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to make excuses, but no matter what my weight was, I've always had that little "poochy" belly. I had my kids at 25 and 32 and have always make it a point to work out regularly. It may be something I've failed to do, but I've been at my skinny weight and still hated my belly.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i dont no how much help this will be but here goes anyway........... ive had vitamin e cream recommended to me something to do with it promotes the growth of elastin which has been damaged by your skin being stretched i dont no if this works and i have looked at different creams and there are some reasonably priced ones to some grossly expensive ones ive had 4 kids and have had a pouch for 13 years now (kids are 13 12 4 1) but this is the first time ive seriously lost weight i have found that with weight loss and exercise mine is shrinking but ive got a long way to go before ive got rid of all my belly fat and dont see the point in trying this until im closer to my goal might be worth a shot though good luck x
  • GJ7072
    GJ7072 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Nickysmom126, for the most part, yes it is! I had 2 c-sections, not to mention the fact that I gained a lot during each pregnancy, lost most of it afterwards, and was about 20 pounds overweight until my kids were about 16 and 18 respectively.

2 years ago, I was referred to mfp by one of my friends who had just prior started using it. I joined too and we were diet buddies. We were both the same weight when we started, and we both lost the 20 pounds we were looking to, and are both exactly where we want to be and have maintained it for over a year and a half. We both will probably use mfp for life. She has two kids also.

How we did it was by simply eating right and excerising. We both do strength training and cardio every day. Myself, I do 20 minutes on weekdays (in the morning before work. I know my friend does her in the morning before work as well) and usually like 4 minutes on weekends. Every workout consists of about 150 crunches (alternating straight up and then to each side), 20 situps, 20 pushups, various arm excerises with free weights, and 10 minutes of running in pace followed by 100 jumping jacks. For my weekend workouts, I increase reps and add additional excericses. I changed the way I ate by replacing ingrediants when I am cooking with Fat Free or Low Fat alternatives or egg beaters instead of eggs and things like that. All I drink is water with the zero calorie vitamin packs added or green tea with splenda. I replaced sugar with splenda and salt with sea salt.

Now, I will say this, I have stretch marks. My friend says she does too. I'm come to the conclusion that there's nothing to do about that.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Yes, it is VERY possible. I've had three children and I lost all of my pooch after each child. Of course I have a stomach now but it's because I gained a lot of weight years later. But even now my stomach is looking a lot better. Just know that it is most DEFINITELY doable! The most important thing to remember is that abs/stomach is made in the kitchen. You can do all the core/ab work you want but until you cut the fat/processed food out of your diet you will not see the results you seek.....I know this to be true. Good luck and keep the faith. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something! :flowerforyou:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My stomach is pretty flat... I've only been pregnant once though and that was 5 years ago. I'm just working on toning it up so it looks better.
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i have never carried my weight in my stomach area, i am 43 and have 4 kids but my lower tummy is still pretty flat. i am very lucky in that i had no stretchmarks aside from literally 3 tiny stretch marks just about the pubic bone. i was tiny when i was pg (due to terrible MS and needing medication for it) so i think that played a part in it for me.
    i think genetics play a huge role in whether you have this issue or not, but that doesnt mean that you cant work on it....both my sisters are overweight so genetically i have that possibility to be also, i have been aware of that my whole life and tried very hard to maintain a healthier lifestyle and weight to avoid this.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It takes time.

<
    my profile pic. My tummy is flat, but it does snag a little when I bend down. I think skin is definitely tightening up over time. I hope it continues to since I am done having kids.
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I still have a long way to go but I'm just so glad it is starting to flatten out. Just work at it everyday and you will see the results!

Photoon3-16-12at1152AM2-1-1.jpg
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! You all have given my hope, that I can get my body back!! I know it varies from person to person, but I was just curious on everyones opinion! Again thank you all!! :)

Ashley
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    I still have a long way to go but I'm just so glad it is starting to flatten out. Just work at it everyday and you will see the results!

Photoon3-16-12at1152AM2-1-1.jpg

You look great! If I can get my stomach to look like yours I would be super happy!!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I had a super flat tummy after #1, and almost now after #2, still early though!! It can be done!
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I had 2 c-sections and not really expecting ever to have a flat stomach (major pooch and hang...).... but I do know some moms that do! Just depends on the person I guess