Fresh Popped Popcorn, How many Cals???

Options
2»

Replies

• SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I make mine on the stove in a pot, and I use the tablespoon of olive oil as one of my servings of healthy fats. 2 tablespoons of uncooked kernels equals approximately 4.5 cups popped, and I top it with 2 tsp of light becel. So my total for about 5 cups of popped is:

274 calories, 15g fat, 23g carbs, 4 fibre

YUM!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    We use the brown paper bag method here, and an oil spritzer thing that I got from Pampered Chef to put some olive oil on it.
    It's yummy and low-calorie.

(Plus get those healthy fats from the EVOO)

I do this but with malt vinegar instead of olive oil. Then add salt. Instant salt and vinegar snack, and much healthier than chips!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    fresh poped is in the system.. search popcorn kernels. the serving is 3-4tbls depending on brand which makes a pretty big bowl. You can melt i cant believe its not butter light or yogurt butter (45cal a tbls) and lightly drizzle over it if u need butter; but the more you add, the more the calories u include...but u measure it out so only u decides how much your willing to spare
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    We use the brown paper bag method here, and an oil spritzer thing that I got from Pampered Chef to put some olive oil on it.
    It's yummy and low-calorie.

(Plus get those healthy fats from the EVOO)

I do this but with malt vinegar instead of olive oil. Then add salt. Instant salt and vinegar snack, and much healthier than chips!

hmm interesting may have to try...

Oh and you can use the bags more than just once =)
  • GOT2GETSLIM
    GOT2GETSLIM Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the brown paper bag trick I learned on Dr Oz. Paper lunch bag, 4 tablespoons of popcorn. Fold bag over twice. Microwave 2 minutes. Tada.100 calories. I eat this everyday as a snack. You can sprinkle on seasoning if you,like. Garlic salt nutritional yeast etc...

OMG That was amazing. I just tried it. Almost every kernel popped! Mine took almost 3 minutes though. I'm sure it varies depending on the microwave. Thank you so much. I cook popcorn on the stove all the time and feel bad that I have to use a tiny bit of oil. This is the healthiest way. Love you:flowerforyou:
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just made some today! :happy: i make at home with virgin coconut oil. 1/4 c popcorn and 1T oil. makes approx 10 cups popped. 34 cal per cup 20 for the popcorn, and 12cal/cup popped from the oil (120 cal/10).

But i definitely have to try to bag trick tomorrow!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating the microwave popcorn (I'm not talking about the popcorn you can pop in a lunch bag) when people were coming down with popcorn lung. I bought an air popper for like $15 and love it. I pop it and put a little parm cheese on it. There aren't many calories in it...it'll tell you on the bag how many. Besides that with the air popper I know I'm not getting any processed junk.

What is "popcorn lung"???
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you can't stop eating, get the 100 calorie packs.
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    I eat popcorn almost every day. I also microwave my own in a brown paper bag - much cheaper than buying the microwave stuff and none of the gunk they put on it! I usually pop 1/4c of kernels and according to the package, that's 130 calories, and it fills a nice big bowl.

Me too! I love popcorn and I also do the paper bag in the microwave. Gives you the most control over how you season your popcorn and how healthy or unhealthy it is :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just made some today! :happy: i make at home with virgin coconut oil. 1/4 c popcorn and 1T oil. makes approx 10 cups popped. 34 cal per cup 20 for the popcorn, and 12cal/cup popped from the oil (120 cal/10).

But i definitely have to try to bag trick tomorrow!
    I've been melting coconut oil & a little butter to season my brown bag microwave popcorn - really liking the coconut oil on it!
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    per http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5356/2

Air popped popcorn is 31 calories per cup (8g). Simply weigh out your popcorn before you air/oil free microwave pop to get the rough estimate of how much you want, pop, reweigh the popped portion. Once you figure out how many tablespoons, etc you usually want to pop, you only need to weigh the finished product.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating the microwave popcorn (I'm not talking about the popcorn you can pop in a lunch bag) when people were coming down with popcorn lung. I bought an air popper for like $15 and love it. I pop it and put a little parm cheese on it. There aren't many calories in it...it'll tell you on the bag how many. Besides that with the air popper I know I'm not getting any processed junk.

What is "popcorn lung"???

It is a disease that some workers in popcorn plants develop, because of the exposure to one of the ingredients commonly found in buttered popcorn. Also, a case has been reported by a user who ate at least 2 bags of popcorn a day
    http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-3239379.html
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use Cypressa kernals which are about 320 cals per 100g
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Using the coconut oil is a really good option. Do you put it in the bag solid or melt it first before popping?
  • Stellamint
    Options
    Airpop the popcorn, then lightly spray with spray cooking oil lightly dust with fine salt. Then sprinkle hot sauce, such as Franks Red Hot.
    2 ounces (1/4 cup) unpopped is 219 calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use about two small handfulls- little bigger than palm- but not a fistful (1/2 cup was to much- and 1/4 is not enough)- I use bacon grease and a non-stick pan- no microwaving needed.

I usually add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and salt- but at some point I'm going to use cocoa powder- I hear that's delicious- I just am lazy and I like my popcorn the way I make it so I haven't been inspired enough to change it!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I had to google this because it sounded snope-worthy - but it's real. However - only one "consumer" has ever been diagnosed with the condition. It's typically an industrial condition. How many bags of diacetyl does one have to inhale to contract this I wonder?