So, is steel cut oatmeal the best?

Options
emily115
emily115 Posts: 78 Member
I have seen a lot of oatmeal topics today, so I thought I should post mine:) Is steel cut oatmeal the best?And what brand do you think is best? I use quick oats now, but before I used instant oatmeal.

Replies

• LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    steel cut oats are better for you because they're less processed than rolled oats. the brand i have right now is hodgeson mills but really i think all steel cut oats are the same :)
  • cwade1021
    cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are not as processed as rolled oats. And (IMO) taste WAAAAY better!!! A really great whole grain.

My personal favorite is steel cut oats with some almond milk with blueberries. My kids eat this like it's going out of style!!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to cook? I eat 1-minute quick oats every morning, and would think about switching to steel cut oats if it doesn't take that long.
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You could cook a lot of Steel-Cut oats on the weekend then warm them in the microwave for a quick breakfast. Just a thought.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I like them with millet and sweet brown rice (and all the gooey oatmeal goodies) as an overnight crockpot breakfast for the family. :)
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Everybody I know finds it a bit gross but...

My standard weekday breakfast is 1/4 cup raisins, 1/2 cup steel cut oats, almost 2 cups of water. Tiny pinch of salt, some cinnamon. Cook on really low for an hour. Then add a 1/3 of a cup of soy milk. Stir, pop in fridge, then eat for breakfast cold.
  • _HealthyKim
    _HealthyKim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats for me every morning!!!
  • BLy82
    BLy82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of oatmeal topics today, so I thought I should post mine:) Is steel cut oatmeal the best?And what brand do you think is best? I use quick oats now, but before I used instant oatmeal.

In most ways, all types of oats are roughly the same nutritionally.

The main difference between the different types of (plain) oats is how thinly they're cut/prepared (and some can be pre-cooked a bit). The thinner they're cut/prepared, the faster they cook. Also, the faster they digest. The blood sugar increase that you get from steel cut oats is a little less sharp than other types of oats people eat, because they digest a little more slowly.

If you're really serious about optimizing your oatmeal intake, steel cut is generally considered to be the best choice. If you take a good look in the mirror and admit to yourself that needing to plan ahead a bit to accommodate the longer cooking time would mean that you would end up eating some junky processed cereal instead of oats, you're better off with stuff that cooks a little faster (ie don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good :) )
  • Patty_Petz
    Options
    I love the nutty flavor and the rich texture of steel cut oats. I make a batch on the weekends then I have it all week. They take about 20 mins to cook stovetop and you can cook them in the slow cooker but by my opinion, for what it is worth, they are gruel so I have quit cooking them this way. As for the brand I use, I picked up Quaker, it's what was in my grocery store at the time.

I make mine with half soy milk and half water, pinch of salt, and stir in cinnamon once they are done cooking, then add my mix-ins

Some ideas:

1/4 c canned pumpkin + 2 T raisins

1/2 diced apple + 1T craisins + 1 T raisins (just like mickey d's oatmeal only way less calories and bigger portion)

1/4 c. canned pumpkin + 1T pure maple syrup

1/2 c. frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (you get the idea)

1/2 banana, sliced + 1/2 T toasted pecans or black walnuts

I am interested to see if you try them and what you think. Enjoy!
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats do take quite a bit longer to cook than more processed varieties. I cook a large batch and heat a little up every morning.
    I like mine with a little almond milk and either, pecans, dried or fresh blueberries, dried cherries or raisins.
  • SailAweigh
    SailAweigh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet, since I still have some of a container of rolled oats left to use up, but I found a brand of quick steel cut oats by Roland. They claim to cook in 5 minutes.

Patty, thanks for so many great ideas on stir ins! I've got a can of pumpkin I've been scratching my head over how to use it. I'm single and I'm not about to make an entire pie out of it. :flowerforyou:
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe that says to mix half a cup of oats with half a cup of milk and some dried fruit, let it sit overnight, and it's ready to eat in the morning. Have not tried it yet, but someone wrote in the notes that she soaked steel cut oats in yogurt instead of milk and left it overnight and it was very good. Haven't tried it yet, but maybe I'll remember to set it up tonight. I like John McCann steel cut Irish oatmeal which is steel cut. Very tasty and comes in a snazzy re-usable tin.
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    steel cut oatmeal which is steel cut - you'd never know I'm a retired teacher. I'm starting to write like my former students.....sheesh