Ladies! Ab exercises with prolapse

Options
2»

Replies

• BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I do see one, and with me surgery is my only option in the long run.. In the meantime I have a whole bunch of 'down there' exercises that I do, but struggling to find someone that knows about abs and core etc.

Wanna PM me the "down there" exercises??? I have no advice but I could benefit from your knowledge.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Last July was a nightmare: July 1 had my 3rd child, July 2nd complications during tubal ligation (doc couldn't find the tube to cut and literally dug around looking for it, July 12 admitted to ER for perforated appendix. I literally had open wounds draining/healing through mid-August after that and it took forever to heal.

Fast forward to March and I attempt to start P90X. On day 1 of my core workout, I tore an abdominal muscle (my guess from still not being healed). Anyway, I've also noticed in the beginning if I didn't completely empty my bladder it was hard to not have an accident - there was just not pelvic floor muscle. I've been working out at least 2 days a week (except the ab thing) and can do jumping jacks again. My abs still have a long way to go, but the obliques on the sides are starting to firm up.

Just take your workouts easy and listen to your body. If it's telling you that you're trying too much too soon, stick with lighter workouts. I hear yoga is a great tool to tone post-baby, so maybe that's a good start and you can work up your intensity from there as you start to rebuild your bod. : )
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just saw this post!! I have a global prolapse so I feel your pain! I have 3 kids the youngest now 1 year and have been to see 2 different woman's physiotherapists.

The advice i was given was... NO Sit ups, NO squats, NO high impact exercise, NO heavy lifting and nothing that puts any pressure on the pelvic floor as this can make your prolapse worse.

You can do light crunches but that's about it!! Torso type twists and hula hooping are great and tend not to cause too many other symptoms. If you engage your lower abs when you are doing your pelvic floors or kegels it can help.

Add me as a friend if you want as i know how difficult it is living with this horrible condition. I think i will be going for surgery within the next year :( Good luck xxxx
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow, just been catching up with all the posts here. I have vaginal prolapses, quite bad Rectocele (that's in my opinion though, that's the one that bothers me most, my PT says she has seen tonnes worse!)... also have mild urethral prolapse and bladder, although the past couple of months or so these two seem to have done a lot of natural healing of their own. I guess as the rectocele is bothered by bowel movements all the time it's difficult and much less likely that it will naturally heal, hence the need for surgery in time...

Cazzy I was told, and have read on the internet that squats are amazing for pelvic floor, have a google of Katy Bowman squat. I have the Tasha Mulligan dvd and reguarly seek advice from her via www.prolapsehealth.com it's such a great site, and I have learned so much from there. Tasha's dvd is brilliant and that is what you need BodyRocker! You don't need to do loads of kegels, just 2 sets of 4 a day done correctly. She also tells you how to workout your whole pelvic basket, so that your core holds it all better... she is an amazing woman!

I don't do any kind of crunches, as even with light ones I can feel downward pressure. I have just started doing zumba, and although that is low impact (most of the time in the beginners section you have one foot on the floor, so it's classed as low) I do have to adjust it for me and if I am having a bad prolapse day I don't do it, I hop on the exercise bike.

MzMandi... leg lifts create a whole heap of downward pressure on your pelvic floor, so they're a no-no :( ...it's a real shame as I used to like those!

My advice to any woman would be to get Tasha's dvd, whether you're post-baby, living with a vaginal prolapse or you simply want to keep your pelvic floor strong to avoid complications in the future, it's amazing for 'down there' ... !
  • amethysts269
    amethysts269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I suffered from a prolapse after my 3rd child... the best exercises at the time under physio direction was pilates, this helps to strengthen the core muscles and puts very little stress on the abs (if done correctly you focus on your pelvic floor as opposed to the abs). She wrote a book called 'My Pelvic Flaw', she being Mary O'Dwyer, her exercises helped my heaps but unfortunately, they weren't enough to repair the damage.

I have since had surgery and still do the same kinds of exercises and planks. I also find that when I work out I tend to incorporate the pelvic floor exercises into my routine which seems to have helped strengthen them as well.

Good luck and if you're not sure talk to your physio.
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much hun. What prolapses did you have, and how are you doing after your surgery? x
  • amethysts269
    amethysts269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    not sure of the technical term but, mine was a rear wall prolapse and it was bad enough that when I had my surgery I had to have a hysterectomy as well, because it was that bad I would have been back 6 months later to have it removed anyway.

I wasn't allowed to do anything for 6weeks after and it took me about 3 months before I started to feel normal again probably about 6 months all up to get back to normal (but, I think this was mainly because I had a hysta).

It has been 12 months since the surgery and I am exercising everyday, I incorporate weights with cardio and also do classes such as Body Combat and Pump. I try to avoid crunches but after a while I can feel when there is to much pressure on my pelvic floor and hold back... the muscles are slowly getting stronger... hopefully, this will continue because I don't particular want to go through surgery again to have my front wall repaired.
  • ErinReneeL
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this post! I have a cystocele and rectocele and am trying to get back in shape after having g 2babies in 18 months. I am glad to see there are some things I can do and that I'm not the only one!! I'm hoping to have more babies too but afraid of what will happen to my body....