Worried...gaining definition, but gaining weight

Options
Hi folks!

I have been training to break an hour for a 10k and doing bodypump. So I run 3-4 times a week and do bodypump 2 times a week. I've upped my weights in bodypump (and my protein in my diet) so I max out every session and I'm sweating like a beast. I'm gaining some great definition from the combo all over my body, but I'm also gaining weight, I'm hungry ALL the time, and I'm exhausted, all of which I didn't use to be. Clearly, I'm missing a piece to the puzzle. Ultimately, I just want to look fit-not be skinny fat.

What should I be doing to continue to get definition AND not feel so tired and hungry?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have you also increased your calories? I see you increased your protein but you are burning more calories. I suggest upping your calories....
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You're probably gaining muscle weight, so I wouldn't worry about that. Also, are you eating more than before you starting working out this much/intensively? If not, that probably explains why you're hungry and exhausted all the time: your body needs more fuel! So make sure you're eating back at least a part of your exercise calories. Also, make sure you don't over-exercise. I'm probably not the best person to tell you that seeing that I work out at least 6 days a week too, but our bodies need a little rest too every once in a while.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    Hey there Rockhound27, I'm no expert, but I've been doing a lot of research, reading and trying to find the right combination. I think it all depends on your body goal - Mass vs. Lean ! I'm going for lean and then I want to strive for mass. If your workouts drive you to more muscle, then your weight will definately go up due to the muscle mass. I get a ton of nutrition and body composition type info from bodybuilding.com. You might want to check out that site and see if your goal is in conflict with your workouts. Best of luck kiddo!!!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? You might not be eating enough to handle such a vigorous workout routine. Find your body fat % here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/ then do the BMR calculator here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/. At the bottom of your results there will be a chart that will tell you how much to eat for your level of activity. With all the activity you do you probably have to eat enough not to feel tired and hungry. Your body needs fuel. If you don't fuel it your body will try to store fat and get energy from the muscle you are trying to build.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    On my heavy lifting days I eat more, since body pump works your whole body, I suggest eating more on those days.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing...
    Initially when you start strength training and eating a lot of protein you gain weight but it is lean muscle.
    That lean muscle will help you burn fat and look more defined.

Dont worry about that scale, or if you really want to know get a Body Fat scale and watch that instead.

The goal is to maintain lean muscle.

Take your Weight - (Weight x Body Fat) to come up with your lean muscle

you want that to stay the same or reduce at a slower weight than your weight loss.

If you gain weight but your body fat % goes down your on the right track!
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Based on this information in your post and how close you are to your goal weight, I would guess you are adding muscle weight faster than you are losing "fat" weight. You don’t have that much more to get to your goal, you may find that as you add muscle you want to adjust your goal weight.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Take weekly pictures, measure inches and % body fat and throw away the scales. Scales aren't showing your progress
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary for everyone to see (for now) we can probably help you out with this question a little better....You need a whole lot more calories when doing that much working out...Your body is asking for more fuel...But can't give advice on numbers without seeing the diary...

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories so that I'm scheduled to lose .5 pounds a week instead of 1 this last week and I ALWAYS eat back all of my exercise calories because I'm so hungry!!!! Should I go to maintenance calories plus exercise cals? I've been doing the same thing for about 5 weeks, but this last week I started going harder in all my exercise (needed to be sure I could make my qualifying time). I upped my protein 2 weeks ago and upped my cals this last week, but maybe not enough? I was just worried because I don't want to over eat and lose progress....
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing...
    Initially when you start strength training and eating a lot of protein you gain weight but it is lean muscle.
    That lean muscle will help you burn fat and look more defined.

Dont worry about that scale, or if you really want to know get a Body Fat scale and watch that instead.

The goal is to maintain lean muscle.

Take your Weight - (Weight x Body Fat) to come up with your lean muscle

you want that to stay the same or reduce at a slower weight than your weight loss.

If you gain weight but your body fat % goes down your on the right track!

Agree
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale.

If your body comp is improving that is a good thing.

You probably need to up the calories some.
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Took my measurements and re-looked up my BMR. I was totally not eating enough! Here I was worried I was over-eating! Great advise from everyone. THANK YOU ALL! I'll continue my workouts and enjoy an extra couple hundred calories a day! I love eating hard earned food. :)
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Took my measurements and re-looked up my BMR. I was totally not eating enough! Here I was worried I was over-eating! Great advise from everyone. THANK YOU ALL! I'll continue my workouts and enjoy an extra couple hundred calories a day! I love eating hard earned food. :)

That's great. Now enjoy watching your body fat % drop and your muscle definition increase.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Fantastic, glad it turned out to be as simple as that! Hope you'll be seeing even more results from now on :)