Why do people focus so much on the scale?

Options

Replies

• thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    maybe i'm just a rare case but i'm 20 pounds lighter and all my clothes fit exactly the same as they did in december before i started really committing to MFP. for me, the scale is what i depend on because i have no difference in my measurements. it's REALLY frustrating not feeling a difference in my clothes even though the number on the scale is decreasing.

I was down 25 lbs before I was in a smaller jeans size. :) My top half is only just starting to change now so don't worry about it too much, it'll change eventually.

I focus on the scale because it's a quicker/easier way to see I'm heading the right way, it's great motivation when that number drops one even if you can't tell by looking at me. I don't worry about a few lbs up so much but being stuck around the same number for a few months is a bit frustrating, but when that happens I tend to notice my body shape has changing slightly so I don't get too worried. I figure my body is just trying to catch up with the loss and shuffle the remaining fat about.

I love it when I measure myself or try on new clothes and they fit but as I only measure myself every few weeks it takes longer to notice those results then weighing myself. I guess when I've lost more weight I'd be able to notice changes more without a scale but as I don't own a full length mirror it'll be hard to spot any differences in one!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Nope...I somewhat feel the same...The ultimate goal is to feel healthier and lose weight....I can see what use it will have in this journey BUT when it becomes a addiction like Daily or hrly.....and it sets the pace of your day of whether your mood is Upbeat or low...than I have issues..... I strive to get my pals to do challenges going from holiday to holiday without getting on the scale...and many are surprised of the discipline they have and how happier they are.... We should believe more in ourselves of doing what it takes to get it down....
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Because it determines my mood for the rest of the day.

You are letting a scale determine your mood and you aren't worried about your mentality and your view?

It sucks that it can effect my mood so much but it just does... But I also what to have my cake and eat it too. I want to lose pounds and inches and drop pant sizes etc.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Being big I can tell you I focus on the scale because even losing 10% of my body weight I can't really see the difference. So clothes fitting better, and lower numbers on the scale are the indications that what I'm doing is working.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

You are letting a scale determine your mood and you aren't worried about your mentality and your view?

Oh no, they are horrible too. I've gone down like 3 pant sizes. Size 2 now and still hate the way I look, the scale is just another reminder of my failure.

How exactly have you failed if you've gone down 3 pants sizes. This isn't going to happen overnight. I'm thrilled I am in a size 2!! Am I completely happy with my body? No, not yet. I still have much work to do, but I look great and am so proud of what I have accomplished!!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

this.
    do it at the end of the day lol
  • bdhoward87
    bdhoward87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Who actually picks up up and says "Wow, you are heavy?"

When I was young my family members used to pick me up and say "Wow, you're getting heavy" Maybe it stems from that lol.

but seriously people just watch that scale because it is a quicker way to see your progress. For me when I started out at 254, when the scale was going down that meant that i was losing fat. I suppose when I get closer to my goal I won't worry so much about if the scale has move or not but right now I know I still have more to lose because my protruding belly says so.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Who actually picks up up and says "Wow, you are heavy?"

When I was young my family members used to pick me up and say "Wow, you're getting heavy" Maybe it stems from that lol.

but seriously people just watch that scale because it is a quicker way to see your progress. For me when I started out at 254, when the scale was going down that meant that i was losing fat. I suppose when I get closer to my goal I won't worry so much about if the scale has move or not but right now I know I still have more to lose because my protruding belly says so.

lol yes.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm probably in the rare, but my weight actually does matter in relation to size. I'd prefer to look small, but I do aerial performances and need to be lighter weight for throwing/catching and supporting myself. All the same, a rare circumstance compared to the many.
  • DamnImCute
    Options
    I agree with relying less on the scale than on inches. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you could lose 10 inches and still weigh the same or more. Inches is far more important to me :flowerforyou:
  • Barbmillions
    Barbmillions Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you are right - we become obsessed with the number on the scale and it can make or ruing our day. We should be happy with feeling better, building up muscle and looking healthier. I think we should toss the scales in the trash
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I like seeing the numbers go down.

I am not opposed to building muscle and seeing the scale go up because of that.

But I am rarely weight training at the moment, so the numbers on the scale matter to me.

Simple as.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Personally, I think you might be focusing too much on other people. You've found that inches and sizes are more important to you, and other people feel that the number on the scale is more important to them. Each person is different, but ultimately, we're all on the same journey. You obviously wanted to lose weight originally or else you wouldn't be here. Try to be more understanding - society has conditioned us to believe that the number on the scale is of extreme importance, so that's why a lot of people focus so much on it. I weigh myself every day. You might weigh yourself once a month. But at the end of the day, who really cares? To each their own. We all have our own ways of doing things.

Fine but it drives me nuts seeing my friends abusing themselves because they didn't drop a pound this week. It will eventually happen if you keep it up whether you step on the scale or not. I am not saying I never step on the scale because I do. But if I do and it goes up 1 lbs or 2 I don't want to quit. People need to focus more on self love.
  • Could be that is what the doctor uses, too. I lose on the scale for a while, then plateau. During the plateau, I lose inches. Then I stop losing inches and start losing on the scale again and so on. So, I weigh a couple of times a month and buy new clothes once a month since my old ones don't fit anymore. :)
  • amymrls
    Options
    Could be that is what the doctor uses, too. I lose on the scale for a while, then plateau. During the plateau, I lose inches. Then I stop losing inches and start losing on the scale again and so on. So, I weigh a couple of times a month and buy new clothes once a month since my old ones don't fit anymore. :)

Me too. I actually look forward to my plateau cause that is shrinking time.
  • Loriann04448
    Options
    I just need to see the numbers go down. There is no huge thought to this for me, it is just what helps me.
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weight every morning! It keeps me motivated and I dont get discouraged when the scale isnt moving. So it works for me :)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Yes, but then why have a ticker at the bottom of your posts showing your weight loss? :smile: I don't mean to be snarky, please don't take offense. I get what you're saying--the general focus has just always been on pounds over inches. It's all about changing our mindsets, as you, I, and others who've been at this a while have learned :smile:

And congrats on your progress, very inspiring!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I think it determines your mood BECAUSE you focus on it..not the other way around.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Personally, I think you might be focusing too much on other people. You've found that inches and sizes are more important to you, and other people feel that the number on the scale is more important to them. Each person is different, but ultimately, we're all on the same journey. You obviously wanted to lose weight originally or else you wouldn't be here. Try to be more understanding - society has conditioned us to believe that the number on the scale is of extreme importance, so that's why a lot of people focus so much on it. I weigh myself every day. You might weigh yourself once a month. But at the end of the day, who really cares? To each their own. We all have our own ways of doing things.

WRONG--i didn't come here to lose weight...that's a fallacious assumption. We're also not all on the same journey--some people are here to get SKINNY at all costs, others HEALTHY, others FIT! So...people are different even with respect to their ultimate goal.