Flavored Water & Weight Loss? (Aspartame)

Options

Replies

• gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use the MIO water Enhancer.... I haven't found a flavor I didn't like and they have a couple of flaovers that have B Vit. in em... Paritcularly while I'm at work I drinkover 120 oz of water w/ Mio in it... if you haven't tried any of it.. I highly recomm. you getting some..
  • wendy3330
    wendy3330 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Propel Zero.
  • wendy3330
    wendy3330 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try using Propel Zero. It tastes great, does not contain aspartame and has vitamins/antioxidants. I have managed to lose a total of 49lbs drinking the Propel and lemon water. I just found out about this tool this week which is why my tracker only shows 2lbs lost.
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I won't eat or drink ANYTHING that contains Aspartame! Or high fructose corn syrup!
    Yes....BOTH of those nasty little ingredients spike the blood sugars much higher than normal...and when the high is gone....there is a blood sugar crash!
    People with diabetes....and hypoglycemic problems should AVOID them at all costs!!!
    Artificial sweeteners are 3 times MORE sweet than regular sugar. I don't care what anybody says....the body DOES NOT treat them the same as sugar! ESPECIALLY if you have the above-mentioned health issues!
    I have found that when I used to eat products that had HFCS in them, I would continually crave more of it! And Aspartame gave me headaches!
    If you don't have a sensitivity to caffeine...then it will be fine.
    However.....if it gives you jitters, sweats, heart palpitations, or anything else that seems strange...STOP CONSUMING IT!!!!
    Anyways...that's just my honest opinion!

Thank you for your opinion. I was waiting for somebody from the opposing side!
    I don't have any problems with my blood sugar, I don't have diabetes, and no hypoglycemic problems.

It has been proven that it does cause addiction and cravings, which is never good: but it's better than drinking 6 cans of soda everyday like I did a month ago!

Thanks again though, and I'll keep a look out for those things.

I used to use all those flavored packets (Crystal Light, Wyler's, etc) til I read the ingredients in them! I didn't want to put that garbage in my body...so I never wasted my money on them again!
    I now put lemon or lime in my water...or even frozen fruits.
    I have a Water U Fresh Sip 20oz filtered water bottle I fill up around 3-4 times a day. Filtered water definitely helps with the "taste" of regular water. I found it at Walgreens. The water bottle & filters are MUCH cheaper than the Brita...and easier to use!
    Try one....you might be surprised that you end up liking water more!
    Do you eat protein? Aspartame is in all sources of protein. Anytime you eat phenylalanine and aspartic acid, you're eating aspartame, and those amino acids are found in chicken, beef, soybeans, fish, wheat, nuts, beans, eggs and dairy, in much higher concentrations than you would EVER get out of a Crystal Lite packet.

Check this out.
    Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

Lots of nasty looking and nasty sounding chemicals in there, right? It's got aspartic acid in it, which is the big ingredient in aspartame, and glutamic acid in it, which is the active ingredient in MSG. I'd guess we should avoid this like the plague, right?

If you did,you'd be avoiding an orange. Yes, the fruit. Just because the ingredient has a big, unpronounceable (to non-scientists) name, doesn't automatically make it "unnatural," or "garbage."

These threads always remind me of the Penn & Teller bit where they sent a correspondent to an environmental rally with a petition to ban "dihydrogen monoxide." They got a ton of signatures to ban this chemical, which is used as an industrial solvent, used as an industrial coolant in nuclear reactors, and is fatal if breathed in.

And yes, dihydrogen monoxide is water. Things always sound scarier when you use the scientific names.

it has glutamic acid in it but it is only dangerous when it has been process and is now free glutamic acid. things in different forms have different effects so this statement is a bit deceptive. and to anyone who wouldnt know better they would have taken it the wrong way. so yes some fruits do have it in therem but it is not the exact same thing. and I would have to believe it is the same thing for aspartame. many times its the processing of something that makes it change into something harmful.
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Try using Propel Zero. It tastes great, does not contain aspartame and has vitamins/antioxidants. I have managed to lose a total of 49lbs drinking the Propel and lemon water. I just found out about this tool this week which is why my tracker only shows 2lbs lost.

Likes Porpel zero also..... I pick it or diet green tea up when I'm making a quick stop between runs...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I won't eat or drink ANYTHING that contains Aspartame! Or high fructose corn syrup!
    Yes....BOTH of those nasty little ingredients spike the blood sugars much higher than normal...and when the high is gone....there is a blood sugar crash!
    People with diabetes....and hypoglycemic problems should AVOID them at all costs!!!
    Artificial sweeteners are 3 times MORE sweet than regular sugar. I don't care what anybody says....the body DOES NOT treat them the same as sugar! ESPECIALLY if you have the above-mentioned health issues!
    I have found that when I used to eat products that had HFCS in them, I would continually crave more of it! And Aspartame gave me headaches!
    However.....if it gives you jitters, sweats, heart palpitations, or anything else that seems strange...STOP CONSUMING IT!!!!

I don't have any problems with my blood sugar, I don't have diabetes, and no hypoglycemic problems.

It has been proven that it does cause addiction and cravings, which is never good: but it's better than drinking 6 cans of soda everyday like I did a month ago!

I used to use all those flavored packets (Crystal Light, Wyler's, etc) til I read the ingredients in them! I didn't want to put that garbage in my body...so I never wasted my money on them again!
    I have a Water U Fresh Sip 20oz filtered water bottle I fill up around 3-4 times a day. Filtered water definitely helps with the "taste" of regular water. I found it at Walgreens. The water bottle & filters are MUCH cheaper than the Brita...and easier to use!
    Do you eat protein? Aspartame is in all sources of protein. Anytime you eat phenylalanine and aspartic acid, you're eating aspartame, and those amino acids are found in chicken, beef, soybeans, fish, wheat, nuts, beans, eggs and dairy, in much higher concentrations than you would EVER get out of a Crystal Lite packet.

Check this out.
    Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

Lots of nasty looking and nasty sounding chemicals in there, right? It's got aspartic acid in it, which is the big ingredient in aspartame, and glutamic acid in it, which is the active ingredient in MSG. I'd guess we should avoid this like the plague, right?

If you did,you'd be avoiding an orange. Yes, the fruit. Just because the ingredient has a big, unpronounceable (to non-scientists) name, doesn't automatically make it "unnatural," or "garbage."

These threads always remind me of the Penn & Teller bit where they sent a correspondent to an environmental rally with a petition to ban "dihydrogen monoxide." They got a ton of signatures to ban this chemical, which is used as an industrial solvent, used as an industrial coolant in nuclear reactors, and is fatal if breathed in.

And yes, dihydrogen monoxide is water. Things always sound scarier when you use the scientific names.

it has glutamic acid in it but it is only dangerous when it has been process and is now free glutamic acid. things in different forms have different effects so this statement is a bit deceptive. and to anyone who wouldnt know better they would have taken it the wrong way. so yes some fruits do have it in therem but it is not the exact same thing. and I would have to believe it is the same thing for aspartame. many times its the processing of something that makes it change into something harmful.
    Processing is irrelevant. The human body and digestive system doesn't recognize "aspartame" or "MSG", or soda, or an orange. If you eat something with MSG, it recognizes glutamic acid and sodium, and digests them appropriately (MSG occurs all over the place naturally by the way, and there are no scientific or medical studies that have ever been able to show any negative effects of MSG consumption.) Same with aspartame, if you drink a diet soda, the digestive system recognizes an amino acid chain with aspartic acid and phenylalanine in it, and digests it in the same way it would when it comes across that same chain in a piece of chicken you just ate.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2006/ucm108650.htm?utm_source=fdaSearch&utm_medium=website&utm_term=aspartame&utm_content=1

This is from 2006, guys. OLD NEWS.

FDA:
    "FDA is issuing this statement today in response to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) press release on its review of the long-term carcinogenicity study of aspartame conducted by the European Ramazzini Foundation (ERF)."
    "EFSA's review of ERF's study concluded, among other things, that on the basis of all evidence currently available to EFSA:

ERF's conclusion that aspartame is a carcinogen is not supported by the data; and
    EFSA sees no need to further review its earlier scientific opinion on the safety of aspartame or to revise the Acceptable Daily Intake."

Also, Snopes. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
    And the Wiki entry:
    An elaborate health scare,[10] involving a hoax conspiracy theory disseminated on many Internet websites, attributes a host of deleterious medical effects to aspartame. This theory claims that the FDA approval process of aspartame was tainted[26][9][27] and cites as its source an email based upon a supposed talk by a "Nancy Markle" (whose existence has never been confirmed) at a "World Environmental Conference."[26][9][28] Specifically, the hoax websites allege that aspartame is responsible for multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, and methanol toxicity, causing "blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects" and death.[7]
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    i m a water girl. I try to stay away from drinking anything but 100% not from concentrate juice every now and then. I also like clear american sparkling water every now and then as well. I am unsure about any hidden ingredients but as of now I use it in moderation maybe buy a box once a month. my son drinks more of them than I do. and I dont mind because they are full of a bunch of bad things. I have a water filter on my sink though and I utilize it well! I am oing to look into one of those bottles mentioned above with the filtered straw (thanks for that).
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Check this out.

[/quote]

OMG!!! I LOVE your reply!!!
  • Mission2Me
    Options

Check this out.

Processing is irrelevant. The human body and digestive system doesn't recognize "aspartame" or "MSG", or soda, or an orange. If you eat something with MSG, it recognizes glutamic acid and sodium, and digests them appropriately (MSG occurs all over the place naturally by the way, and there are no scientific or medical studies that have ever been able to show any negative effects of MSG consumption.) Same with aspartame, if you drink a diet soda, the digestive system recognizes an amino acid chain with aspartic acid and phenylalanine in it, and digests it in the same way it would when it comes across that same chain in a piece of chicken you just ate.

I dont completely agree. here is why, I pulled this from http://www.truthinlabeling.org

When consumers use the term "MSG," they are talking about a substance that causes adverse reactions ranging from skin rash and itching to hives, nausea and vomiting, migraine headache, asthma, heart irregularities, seizures, and depression. To cause an MSG-reaction, the glutamic acid in an ingredient must be free (not bound) glutamic acid, and the free glutamic acid must occur as a consequence of processing (manufacture) or fermentation.

The glutamic acid found in unadulterated, unprocessed, unfermented food is L-glutamic acid, only. With possible rare exception, that L-glutamic acid is bound up in protein with other amino acids i.e., tied to other amino acids like beads are tied in a necklace. It is tied to other amino acids. It is not processed (manufactured) free glutamic acid. It does not cause adverse reactions.

and as far as fruits go there is this, from the same site: In 1998, the EPA approved the use of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) in sprays to be used on fruits, grains, vegetables, and other vegetation. Consumers have no way of knowing what produce has been sprayed with MSG-containing plant "growth enhancers," how much MSG-residual remains on the plants, or how much MSG has been absorbed into them.

I do not think it effects all people the same way. there have been many reports of certain groups of people being more susceptible to all of these. I personally am one of them. but I also fall under many of the categories of people who are more susceptible. but I also think that people should be informed on things no matter what their status in life is. plus I just dont find it wise to trust the FDA to tell me that everything is fine when it comes to what I put in my body. I would rather look at whats been presented and decided for my self what is best for me and not the public as a whole.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sorry you happen to have an allergy to MSG, but that website is incorrect in their information. Just for starters, "manufactured" or "processed" MSG is 99% L-Glutamic Acid, not free glutamic acid. Some people have allergies to MSG, other people also have allergies to peanuts, that doesn't make peanuts bad for everyone else. Here's a link to a study about MSG vs a placebo. Both the MSG and placebo caused the same symptoms in roughly the same percentage of people, so people that received no MSG had the same symptoms as people that had MSG.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8282275
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    if you dont mind me asking where are you getting your info that you say I am wrong about? and it is still the exact same proteins. free glutamic acid has simply had its bonds to other proteins broken and is just L-glutamic acid. yes but that was written a few years before my sources info was posted. things can change. there is so much more info out now since then. they also pulled their info from studies.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am okay with splenda and saccarine, but I cannot touch aspartame, it seems to give me the most horrendous mood swings, for some reason.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I drink both regular water and water flavored with Propel Zero. I now have 6 toes on each foot and an extra head beginning to develop. And one eye twitches.

But dammit I've lost 102 pounds so I can't be all bad, right? :laugh:

I could also be hit by a bus tomorrow, so Ive decided to live my life on the edge and drink flavored water.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I could also be hit by a bus tomorrow, so Ive decided to live my life on the edge and drink flavored water.

WIN
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I drink both regular water and water flavored with Propel Zero. I now have 6 toes on each foot and an extra head beginning to develop. And one eye twitches.

But dammit I've lost 102 pounds so I can't be all bad, right? :laugh:

LMFAO
  • Tanya_IP
    Tanya_IP Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bumpin for later
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This is flat out untrue. Aspartame has no calories, and thus can do nothing to blood sugar. That's why diabetics use it in the first place! Amazed no one has pointed this out yet. Hopefully it's just 'cause it's so obvious?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

This is flat out untrue. Aspartame has no calories, and thus can do nothing to blood sugar. That's why diabetics use it in the first place! Amazed no one has pointed this out yet. Hopefully it's just 'cause it's so obvious?

You are correct. Actually, it has been pointed out in a number of other threads, even with links to studies which show that the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas do not spike blood sugar or insulin levels.

Some people would rather believe the misinformation. :)
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was really liking my "fizzy" flavored water till the migranes started...looked at the label and there it was....aspartame. Well dang back to plain water.