Is there a way to link recipe with "add food" so you know wh

Options
lbmlbm
lbmlbm Posts: 4
I'm new to myfitnesspal but really like what I'm seeing. Is there any way to know what is in the person's recipe when you choose foods to add to your food diary?

It is great to have the restaurant food already done but we mostly cook at home.

I'd rather not recreate recipes that are already in the data base but I can't figure out just what is in "so and so's chili" so I can pick one close to mine.

I've added a couple of recipes and actually put the ingredients in the description to maybe help someone out......

Any suggestions about picking your foods from others inputs?

Wish you could link to recipe just like you can go to nutrition breakdown..........

Replies

• michellematteson
    Options
    I personally find it better to enter the recipe myself and make sure all the ingredients I am using are being accounted for. I may use ingredients others would not be able to find in their grocery store for example. Or, they may use cream cheese when I use light, use processed foods when I natural, etc. The recipe counter is one of my best tools since I joined MFP since I find out the last one I was using grossly underestimated everything entered into it.
  • lbmlbm
    Options
    Thanks, I see your point. By recipe counter do you mean the way you can store it for your own use or am I missing something?

I ended up using a excel spreadsheet to first input the serving size stats (on the can or if fresh through another internet site) for each ingredient then multiply to find entire recipe then divide to get serving size. Is there a place to do this on MFP?
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Yeah, that was the recipe counter I was talking about (although they call it a calculator). If you click on the "Food" tab on the top of the page, click on "Recipes" and then on the green button "Enter New Recipe."

Let's say you want to see how much a plate of pasta would be for 6 people. You put in the ingredients, whole box of pasta, whole jar of sauce, and an whole onion for example, and tell it that it will feed 6 people. You will get the total for everything and the total for one portion.

Easy, and you are putting in the stuff you are actually eating, not what someone used in there own plate of pasta. Really useful for sweets too, because you can play with the portions until you have something that won't make your whole day a wash.
  • lbmlbm
    Options
    Thanks SO much. I had not discovered that. It certainly will be useful. Glad to hear there is hope for some reasonable treats!