April: Random Acts of Kindness

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
*Tomorrow it will be the three year anniversary of my mother's passing. She was the best mom ever and her and I were really close. She was an elementary school teacher and for the last 10 years of her life taught 4th and 5th grade Special Education. She also taught 1st and 2nd grades. She was active in so many areas of life and truly made a difference in the world. She was my Girl Scout leader and even my Cheerleading coach for a few years. She was the photography and scrapbook queen and loved to take long walks outside with my family.

*She died from breast cancer when she was only 43 years old and I was a senior in high school. My mom was all about making a difference and random acts of kindness. She made a difference in so many peoples lives by being a wonderful mother, wife, daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, and friend. etc.

*In memory of my mom, I'd like to challenge as many people as I can to do random acts of kindness this month and to truly make a difference in someone's day!

Trisha Stark * April 8, 1965 - April 1, 2009

*I remember probably once a month, my mom would take my brother and I to McDonald's Drive-thru so we could get the toys in the Happy Meals. I was especially excited when they had the barbie ones! When we would get to the Drive-thru window my mom would say, "What is the total cost for the car behind us?" The worker would be kind of confused at first, but tell her anyways.. and she would say, "Well, I'm going to pay for their meal today. Tell them it is a Random Act of Kindness and they have to pass it on." The McDonald's (or whatever drive-thru we were at) worker would always smile and agree to let her pay for the stranger's meal. Then she'd drive off and my brother and I would excitedly look out the back window to see the stranger's reaction to her Random Act of Kindness! :)

*My mom told me she wanted to make a difference and she did in many ways throughout her life. So to keep making a difference, pass on a random act of kindness!

Replies

• pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Really nice post. Your mom would be very happy and proud of you carrying on her Random Acts Of Kindness in her memory.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post. I am proud of you for using such a tough experience as a way of positively inspiring others.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: awww:heart::heart: :heart:
  • alumpoflard
    alumpoflard Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I will make sure I do at least one random act of kindness in memory of your mum xx
  • tingtawn
    tingtawn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Such a great way to honor and remember your mom. I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure it is still hard, but she would be very proud of you that is for sure! I think this is awesome and would love to be a part of it. Thanks for sharing!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like her kindness is living on through you. :flowerforyou:
  • sarah307
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

I am excited for everyone to be doing a random act of kindness!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks for such a nice post - It takes two seconds to do something nice for someone else...compliment them, hold the door, wave them to go first at a stop sign, take their shopping cart back into the store when you're headed that way anyhow...and those are just little things that don't cost anything.

If more people were like you and your Mom we'd be living in a much nicer world :flowerforyou:
  • Nyeemwong
    Nyeemwong Posts: 19
    Options
    Bless this post. I am sure your mom is smiling from above.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Aww your mam sounds like a great women. :heart:
  • Wenzday7777
    Options
    This teared me up! What a wonderful way of have your mom remembered i will do this in memory of her and for all the wonderful giving peole in my life :)
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were the recipient of one of those random acts of kindness in the exact way you describe. We ordered breakfast one day at a McDonalds drive through and when we went to pay, the employee handed us a note from the previous customer saying he was from a local church and he paid for our meal. I promised myself to pay it forward but have not done so yet. It moves me to read about your Mom so I am going to do that this weekend and report back to you when it is done.

Thanks so much for sharing and this world needs more people like you and your Mom.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why there's a month dedicated to kindness. We should be kind everyday. Likewise, I don't understand a month dedicated to black history, because we should recognize and appreciate their contribution everyday, as much as we do white history. Columbus Day will forever remain perplexing to me, because we venerate a man who willfully and systematically exterminated indigenous people. I will never understand Valentine's Day, because we should treasure our partner everyday. I just don't understand this country, or this world. It's so odd that we dedicate certain days to implement things that we should be executing daily, hourly, by the minute, second by second. Is that how disconnected we've gotten? That we need to have specialized days in order to remain somewhat affiliated with our supposed humanity and community. I suppose so, considering you're probably reading this from your phone, head buried in it, oblivious to those surrounding you.
  • sarah307
    Options
    I don't understand why there's a month dedicated to kindness. We should be kind everyday. Likewise, I don't understand a month dedicated to black history, because we should recognize and appreciate their contribution everyday, as much as we do white history. Columbus Day will forever remain perplexing to me, because we venerate a man who willfully and systematically exterminated indigenous people. I will never understand Valentine's Day, because we should treasure our partner everyday. I just don't understand this country, or this world. It's so odd that we dedicate certain days to implement things that we should be executing daily, hourly, by the minute, second by second. Is that how disconnected we've gotten? That we need to have specialized days in order to remain somewhat affiliated with our supposed humanity and community. I suppose so, considering you're probably reading this from your phone, head buried in it, oblivious to those surrounding you.

agreed!
  • Rick_SH
    Rick_SH Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    We do random acts of kindness all the time, usually in a restaurant. We might pick up the tab for a young family. Or I might order dessert for a family with kids. We ALWAYS remain anonymous which makes it even more fun. Try it, it really lifts your spirits. :-)
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What an amazing woman, and what an amazing daughter too! I will definitely carry out some random acts of kindness this month in honor of your mom and her kindness.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah - random act completed! Went out today at lunch to McDonalds - didn't really want to eat there but I managed to order just a double cheeseburger - and paid for the woman and her son behind me. As I looked in my rear-view mirror, I noticed a look of confusion and a little bit of 'Why is this guy doing this to me?' Hope I didn't scare her. It feels good though.
    Thanks for the inspiration to 'pay it forward'!