Eat Clean Diet?

Options
Exercise comes naturally to me and I love to be active. I am using this site to record all my activity as well as what I eat. I am following the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. Is anyone else following this plan? I am reading the book cover to cover and it only makes sense to eat foods in their most natural state. I know this will be difficult in the beginning but I am sure well worth the developed good habits. I am going to allow myself to eat out once a week and to also have a sinful treat once a week as well.

Anyone else finding good results with the book "The Eat-Clean Diet?"

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Exercise comes naturally to me and I love to be active. I am using this site to record all my activity as well as what I eat. I am following the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. Is anyone else following this plan? I am reading the book cover to cover and it only makes sense to eat foods in their most natural state. I know this will be difficult in the beginning but I am sure well worth the developed good habits. I am going to allow myself to eat out once a week and to also have a sinful treat once a week as well.

Anyone else finding good results with the book "The Eat-Clean Diet?"

I was doing it for quite some time, but then I felt like I was always denying myself. I had to constantly turn down, lunch/dinner invites because of the lifestyle I was choosing...funny thing once I eased up on myself and my nutrition plans I felt better, had more energy. I can longer consider myself a true clean eater, but i'm healthy and my diet is as clean as my body wants it to be...lol.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

We have been following a clean eating plan based on some things I've read on MFP and other places. We stay away from restaurants except on rare occasions and choose an Asian restaurant and stick to something simple like stir fry veggies.

Along with the clean eating we made the decision to avoid eating as a recreational activity. I get together with friends for shopping, walking,sightseeing, talking instead of meeting in a restaurant.

It's a lifestyle change that is working so far. We just got back from a month on the road in our motorhome and ate in a restaurant only once and each lost 4 pounds.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

We have been following a clean eating plan based on some things I've read on MFP and other places. We stay away from restaurants except on rare occasions and choose an Asian restaurant and stick to something simple like stir fry veggies.

Along with the clean eating we made the decision to avoid eating as a recreational activity. I get together with friends for shopping, walking,sightseeing, talking instead of meeting in a restaurant.

It's a lifestyle change that is working so far. We just got back from a month on the road in our motorhome and ate in a restaurant only once and each lost 4 pounds.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I wish I had that luxury, unfortunately our clients needs, make it so that we have to have lunch/dinner in restaurants,we have to get new foods/bev/deserts for our business..we were turning down business opportunities and that was starting to hit us in the pocketbook! we still eat clean, however our definition of clean has been slightly altered :laugh:
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Man, I wish I could do this. Going to eat is ALL I ever do with my friends! I sometimes jokingly say that "friends are fattening". Did your friends deal with it OK? I have thought about countering restaurant offers with an invite to come let me cook for them, but my "weird food" (veggies, lentils, hummus - lowfat, lowsugar, lowsalt) doesn't have wide appeal.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options

Man, I wish I could do this. Going to eat is ALL I ever do with my friends! I sometimes jokingly say that "friends are fattening". Did your friends deal with it OK? I have thought about countering restaurant offers with an invite to come let me cook for them, but my "weird food" (veggies, lentils, hummus - lowfat, lowsugar, lowsalt) doesn't have wide appeal.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    It is harder with friends who clearly don't have much concern with their weight or their health. When we were visiting friends and family back where we used to live we told our grown children that we wouldn't be taking them out to eat but we'd bring food and cook dinner for them at their house. We brought boneless, skinless chicken, veggies (squash, mushrooms, onion, peppers, tomatoes) for broiled veggies and salad makings (spinach, sprouts, tomatoes, peppers, radishes, cucumbers, onions). The family with children supplemented by having hot dogs and potato salad for their kids. I told one friend that I'd like to get together with her for something that didn't include food. We spent about 3 hours going all over town doing errands together with no stops for food or coffee. She is a life member of Weight Watchers and loved the idea and especially loved it when I showed her that my pedometer had registered 6000 steps during our adventure. Another friend and I walked the Mall before the stores opened for 45 minutes then did our shopping then I cooked lunch for her (chicken, salad, broccoli). It has been a challenge but my health is number one for me right now.

Your food sounds great. You can cook for me any time.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • heatyola
    heatyola Posts: 12
    Options
    I bought Tosca Reno's book about 6 weeks ago and have been following the clean eating plan ever since. I also read Jillian Michaels book on Metabolism and she says basically the same things but takes it a step further - Organic. A brand new super sized Whole Foods Market just opened in my area and I live in it. I feel good knowing I am putting clean healthy foods into my body. Whole Foods has several different salad bars and hot foods bars with a place to sit and eat inside and outside so I take my husband and kids out to eat there. They laugh at me but they like the food too.

Best wishes, on your new life style.

Heather
  • sweatingtofitness
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses!!

I like the chapter in the book about eating out at restaurants. She basically states that if you ask the server to makes substitutions or change the way the way tihngs are cooked....most places will totally listen to you and grant your wishes. This could mean omitting cream sauces that are put on top of grilled salmon. Just asking them to remove the sauce and just grill the salmon with simple salt and pepper, they would be happy to so that you come back again. Same with veggies. If you ask them to provide steamed veggies with no butter or cream sauces....they can do this for you. You can also substitute salads over fries, etc. Eating out can become an adventure. So, even though I will allow myself to eat out once a week, I am going to opt for healthier choices and play around with the server to see if I can get them to listen to me. LOL! The book just seems to make complete sense about how we fuel our bodies. What I have learned about myself is that if I give something a shot for about a month, I learn habits that stick with me.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I haven't been following the book you reference, I have been following the advice in the book "Food Matters, A Guide to Conscious Eating" by Mark Bittman. It has been referred to as 'eating veagan until 6pm'...basically I've been eating plant based food only, until dinnertime and then I add some animal based food into my dinner. I have eliminated all simple carbohydrates, and junk food eating this way. Eating like this forces you to make healthier choices since you are only eating plant based food most of the day. He stresses that the kind of food we eat is more important that the overall amount. It works for me because even if I'm feeling denied during the day, I can have what I want at dinner!

here is a link to the book
    http://markbittman.com/books/food-matters

Not only am I feeling better eating this way, but it is also better for the environment...
  • chicaloca6470
    chicaloca6470 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i just cant see retricting myself to certain things,thats just no life for me.i can still eat whati want and be healthy.
  • sweatingtofitness
    Options
    Very true if done in moderation!