Protein shakes - Bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the exact amount of calories, but the powder, plus some peanut butter and skim milk was around 150 calories. Its around the same as the yougurt / oj that I'm making now. So I don't think its a matter of the calories... I was thinking it was more an issue with what is inside... But then that doesn't make sence because then I wouldn't be able to eat a piece of chicken, because that has protein in it..... Maybe he just doesn't want to share his protein shake with me!!!! lol

Wow, my shake, with a half cup of berries and a cup of almond milk is 230 calories. So no dear, it will not make you gain weight. I wonder if the manufacturer puts that on there so people will not try to use it as a diet food? I wonder if there are different stipulations for supplements vs weight loss products?

I know for me, having that protein shake is very important to my protein intake.
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It really boils down to your daily macros and net calories. In addition to 4 meals a day, I take a scoop of whey protein with skim milk as soon as I wake up (body in fasted state), and a post-workout shake which consists of 300ml milk, 1.5 scoops of whey, 1tbspn peanut butter and a banana (adding up to a whopping 430 cals).

Oh and I'm cutting (i.e daily deficit of upto 500 calories).

These shakes are to be used as a means to straighten out your figures. If used properly, they actually help in LOSING weight (read: cutting fat). The benefits of having whey/casein protein in your cupboard is that they contain virtually no fats/carbs. YOU are in total control of how much of those to add depending on YOUR daily needs.
  • kippifer
    kippifer Posts: 2
    Options
    I have used Garden of LIfe Raw Chocolate Protein Powder--so far I haven't seen too much of a difference in figure. The taste isn't the best. It's a bit like saw dust and you can't really cover that texture. I like that it's raw...I've never tried whey isolate, but I'm interested in trying it since I hear the amino acids are quickly absorbed by the body.
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    Every one wants to live healthy. You should keep an eye on what you eat and that iis going to give result for you according to your need. In addition, you can decide about which and how much fitness supplements you are going to use for maximum result.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Oh, and too much protein can also bring on gout, though that may be too much information!..

So have your shake-a-day but be realistic about how many calories you are truly consuming.

That 1st statement is not completely accurate, It is the type of protein you intake that matters when you have gout. And just eating too much protein does not give you, or bring on gout. If you do not already have it.
    Gout is the bodies inability to process uric acid, which is a by-product of purines. Which certain types of protein sources have more of than others.

100% Whey protein does not cause or bring on gout attacks. As a matter of FACT, It is the best kind of protein for people with gout. I know, I have it. I have had it for the last 10-11 yrs. Soy proteins will bring on a gout attack though.(ie...herbalife, ect .... cheap powders that are soy based) I get most of my protein from dairy(which is good for gout sufferers), chicken(white meat only), fish, turkey(white meat only), some lean pork, and very little red meat(BAD for gout), and 100% whey protein powder and MRS's.

To the OP, I use a 100% whey protein mix almost daily, and have no issues. And I am losing BF% weekly, the scale is not moving much, but I am losing inches and BF%, and gaining strength constantly. And that is what matters..... I would not worry too much about it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think they put that label no there because they don't want people using the shake as a meal replacement. so many people think protein shake = meal replacement, and it's not true, they aren't formulated that way.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the exact amount of calories, but the powder, plus some peanut butter and skim milk was around 150 calories. Its around the same as the yougurt / oj that I'm making now. So I don't think its a matter of the calories... I was thinking it was more an issue with what is inside... But then that doesn't make sence because then I wouldn't be able to eat a piece of chicken, because that has protein in it..... Maybe he just doesn't want to share his protein shake with me!!!! lol

Highly unlikely you came in at 150 calories.... most powders are about 140 a scoop, 1 tbsp of peanut butter is 100, 8 ounces of skim milk is 90... so you're well over 300 right there, assuming those amounts.

Mine is 98 cals a scoop & that's made up totally. Not all of them HAVE milk added to them & even then I can add almond milk to it for an extra 40cals. Still under 150
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You just need to know how many cals are in your shake and include it when you log your food. I started taking Optimum Nutrition Gold last week when I started tracking my macros and realised I was well under on protein (I'm vegetarian) I do 30 Day Shred each day and a lot of walking (I have three dogs). I also want to start New Rules of Weightlifting for Women soon. I was getting ravenously hungry in the afternoons and eating all kinds of carb/ fatty junk. Since I started the shakes (only one a day, mixed with semi skimmed milk) I feel I have loads of energy, I don't want to snack in the afternoons and I need much less sleep. I've lost another 2 pounds since I started on the protein shake so it isn't stopping weight loss.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say they are bad for weightloss but I don't know which one you were having. Some are very high calorie with added things, I wouldnt have my boyfriends one as his is more for gaining and wouldn't fit my macros easily. Mine is just whey protein with only green tea added, I have one every day with unsweetened almond milk. I have trouble hitting 100g (ish) of protein without it as theres only so much high protein foods I can afford, I'd end up eating it all within first few days just to hit my protein goal! Also my favourite food/drink are milkshakes, so having the protein shake stops me craving the sugar loaded ones, so it all works out for the best with me :D
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    Try to purchase an Isolate over a compound protein, Isolates contain less carbs.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Mine is whey has 170 calorie per scoop and 30 g protein....Super Advanced Whey. I still drop weight.....My diary is open.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    It's excess calories not protein shakes that cause weight gain. If any shake fits into your allotted calories, then your gold.

Exactly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's fine. They say it's not appropriate for weight loss because they're not balanced to replace a meal, that's all.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Highly unlikely you came in at 150 calories.... most powders are about 140 a scoop, 1 tbsp of peanut butter is 100, 8 ounces of skim milk is 90... so you're well over 300 right there, assuming those amounts.

Mine is 98 cals a scoop & that's made up totally. Not all of them HAVE milk added to them & even then I can add almond milk to it for an extra 40cals. Still under 150

The responder wasn't saying that you 'can't' have a low cal smoothie, but rather that it sounds like the poster is incorrect about cal count.
    To quote them: " but the powder, plus some peanut butter and skim milk was around 150 calories"

and i agree, it sounds very unlikely that combination is only 150 cals. They probably get that or more just out of the milk and peanut butter.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using protein shakes while losing weight. That disclaimer is there so people won't try to use the shakes as meal replacements because they don't contain everything you need to eat. They aren't meal replacements (unless you are adding something to them).

I have one every morning for breakfast...1 scoop powder - 140 cals - 1/2 cup oats - 150 cals - 1 bananna - 120 = 410 for my breakfast.

They are concentrated in protein, and if you are doing weight training in ANY form, you need to ensure you are getting enough protein in your diet to assist the body in repairing the trauma the exercise is doing. If your diet is protein heavy already, you may not need one.

Also realize that not all are created equal, is it a whey protein powder, or a "Mass Gainer"...a mass gainer will have ALOT of extra calories in it. Look at the package and see what the cals are per scoop.

Alot of people find it difficult to eat enough lean protein to get close to 0.8-1g protein per body weight and still stay within their calorie goals. You can do it with a shake or without...the key is to ensure it isn't driving you over your daily calories.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they're so bad that I only lost 100 lbs last year having a protein shake every morning for breakfast.

By the way - the main reason I do the protein shakes is that I'm lazy & they're a quick & easy meal for breakfast. I don't think they're the best possible thing to eat, but they work for my needs.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If your protein powder says "don't use if you're trying to lose weight," I would strongly suggest buying a different powder. No respectable manufacturer of protein supplements would put something like that on its product label because the very idea that eating or drinking any one particular food is going to make you gain or lose weight is completely ridiculous.

To gain weight, you have to consume more calories than you burn over a given period of time. If a protein shake fits into your calorie and macro goals, you'll be fine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    he said that the packages says its not to be used if you are trying to lose weight.

Did you consider, oh, I don't know..... looking at the package yourself?
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If your protein powder says "don't use if you're trying to lose weight," I would strongly suggest buying a different powder. No respectable manufacturer of protein supplements would put something like that on its product label because the very idea that eating or drinking any one particular food is going to make you gain or lose weight is completely ridiculous.

To gain weight, you have to consume more calories than you burn over a given period of time. If a protein shake fits into your calorie and macro goals, you'll be fine.

^^THIS

Interesting answers in this thread. A lot of misinformation. Do your own research from different sources to be better informed about protein and other supplements in general.
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have mine daily for breakfast, it's around 250 calories and has low sugar. I've lost weight since I've started drinking it. I guess just watch which ones you drink because some are meant to bulk you up.