Moving from New York to Tennessee

Options
My husband officially got a job transfer and we are moving to Northern Tennessee!!! About 45 minutes north of Nashville.

NY is too expensive to live and raise a family. We are very excited about it! Anyone have any good or bad experiences in TN? Live there?

Replies

• Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No advice about tennasee but I moved from ny to florida a few years ago. NY was waaayy too expensive. Sometimes it is hard being so far away from family, but after a while, you make a new one in your new home. Good luck to you,
  • AmyBlu12
    AmyBlu12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty nervous about that because my husband and I are very close with our families. We have their only grandchildren! But, at the end of the day we have to do what's best for us.

Thanks so much!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Lots of Volunteers on MFP :)

Things to know-
    People in TN will look you in the eye- this is NOT aggression but rather acknowledgment and a chance to say hello.
    People in TN looove to talk to you. Seriously- we talk... a lot.
    People in TN will say hello when they pass you- it's about being polite.
    People in TN will ask you what college you went to- be prepared to answer or just shout GO VOLS and run away ;)
    In TN a lot of volunteer work is done through churches- as in most conservative states- so if you like to do good for your fellow humans: check out food banks, clothing banks, educational funds, tutoring, raking leaves, medical assists for the elderly- check with the local churches.

Enjoy your new home!!! PS- get one with a basement or interior lower room. You're going to be living on the plateau and tornadoes aren't uncommon. Not as bad as Oklahoma- but might as well be prepared :)
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That is a really nice, comfortable place to live. I used to live VERY close to where you are talking about. I loved it. I still live in KY, but a different area now. I hope you love it. :-)