Replies

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Its up there with constant sniffing, freakin annoying
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow! Who would have guessed so many people had an opinion about this? Personally, I was raised to feel its a little inconsiderate to treat public spaces like you would your car, living room, or shower, but that's just me. I DON'T hate on those people, as I'm sure none of us do, but I do find it a little odd and, like I've said, inconsiderate. Would everyone here think it right or normal of me to recite poetry while in line at the grocery store, or to rehearse one-acts in a mumbly-under-my-breath tone at the library, or any other similar example. Again, no big deal, but I feel like the only people defending the behavior are the ones who engage in it.

I wouldn't find any of those inconsiderate except maybe the library one but funny thing I see the only people attacking the behavior are the ones who don't engage in it. So it works both ways.
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am totally guilty of this from time to time. It's usually when I'm deep in a run. I use the music to keep my breathing under control so I don't have an asthma flair up...but sometimes I accidentally start doing my talking test in a singing fashion. :\ Sorry!
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You ARE kidding, right? Who really cares what anyone is doing at the fitness club? I've got my ipod on-I can't hear anyone singing, and I couldn't care less if someone hears me sing. We're all there to move our sorry a&&es, aren't we? Geeesh

Agreed. I don't really care. It's not a movie theatre or anything of the sort. If I could sing and run at the same time I totally would lol
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Music is what gets me going at the gym and I mouth along the words and maybe sometimes forget and may sing out aloud. :) I look at it that they are motivated and working out and it would not bother me. imo

I think the size of the gym matters also. If it's a small gym and not much other noise then yes it could be annoying. I go to a very large gym and there is lots of noise.

Then again, people talk and have conversations while working out, talk on the phone etc. so singing is really no different. I don't think they are blaring it out.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Singing is for the shower or music studio or your own private home. Nobody seriously wants to hear it. Theres heaps of songs that I would love to sing too when one gets in the `zone' at the gym. But seriously, out of courtesy to your fellow gym-goers ZIP IT.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is so fascinating - thank you everyone for responding! People are free to do what they want and I'll just make it a point to bring my musica with me next time. :)
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have clarified by saying that we work out in a TINY community gym, not a multi-level 24-hour fitness or something similar. It's the same place where our neighbors bring their toddlers and let them run around, bring iPod docks and play their obnoxious music, and violate other really basic guidelines, like wiping down the equipment BEFORE, not AFTER, their workout. The single room is seriously 15" x 10", so the random singing (which happens for 3-4 seconds every 2-3 minutes, and sounds like whining because they can't sing while running 10 mph on a treadmill) gets old pretty quick. It sounds more like they're in pain than singing.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Music is what gets me going at the gym and I mouth along the words and maybe sometimes forget and may sing out aloud. :) I look at it that they are motivated and working out and it would not bother me. imo

I think the size of the gym matters also. If it's a small gym and not much other noise then yes it could be annoying. I go to a very large gym and there is lots of noise.

Then again, people talk and have conversations while working out, talk on the phone etc. so singing is really no different. I don't think they are blaring it out.

Also, talking on the cell phone at the gym... not okay. It's just basic gym etiquette.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow! Who would have guessed so many people had an opinion about this? Personally, I was raised to feel its a little inconsiderate to treat public spaces like you would your car, living room, or shower, but that's just me. I DON'T hate on those people, as I'm sure none of us do, but I do find it a little odd and, like I've said, inconsiderate. Would everyone here think it right or normal of me to recite poetry while in line at the grocery store, or to rehearse one-acts in a mumbly-under-my-breath tone at the library, or any other similar example. Again, no big deal, but I feel like the only people defending the behavior are the ones who engage in it.

^^This
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how anyone can sing while working out? I am so out of breath that I might be able to get 2 words in the sentence out. LOL I have never heard anyone singing at the gym because I have my own music on pretty loud. :happy:
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

^^This

I do agree with this. I'm not about to belt out my songs while working out but it's just not something that I'm gonna get myself worked up about if someone else does it.
  • TheWinman
    Options

Also, talking on the cell phone at the gym... not okay. It's just basic gym etiquette.

I don't talk on the cellphone while at the gym, but only because I want to get away from the phone for that time period. I certainly could care less if someone else is talking on theirs, as long it's not on speaker. Again, I workout at a large health club and may feel different if I used a small gym
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me if someone wants to sing their hearts out! I love to sing!:smile:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'll mouth the words if I'm really in to the song, but I learned at age 10 when I would sing ABBA songs with my headphones on when I went on long car rides, if you can't hear yourself you will sound tonedeaf. (and yes a 90s child liked ABBA)

I have heard others hum, others under their breath try to sing along or just do the "la la la" thing, but nothing beats yesterday. There's a group of older gentlemen that always come in early in the morning, work out, and then sit in the "break" area to read the paper and talk. Apparently yesterday a country musician died and one brought a portable boombox, plugged it in, and all 7 men began to sing loudly along with the already loud music. Went on for like an hour, my saving grace was I have earphones that fit so snugly in my ears that even with no music I barely hear anything but my own breathing. I don't know why they weren't told to shut it off aside from the fact none of it had bad language, which is a no-no at my gym. It was basically inconsiderate.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

I don't talk on the cellphone while at the gym, but only because I want to get away from the phone for that time period. I certainly could care less if someone else is talking on theirs, as long it's not on speaker. Again, I workout at a large health club and may feel different if I used a small gym

It also depends on the gym's policy with them. Cellphones are not allowed in the strength/cardio area or the weight area though there's a loophole if you have music on your phone or have an app that gives you your workout. The thing with cellphone conversations in a gym, large or small, is the person is having to be loud to be heard over equipment, TVs, others talking, etc and it can be grating. What bothers me more is texting in the gym. It happens a lot in the cardio area since stuff like the stairmaster and bikes and treadmills are hands-free and so if you're not listening to your own music you constantly hear the message alert sound.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    I'll mouth the words if I'm really in to the song, but I learned at age 10 when I would sing ABBA songs with my headphones on when I went on long car rides, if you can't hear yourself you will sound tonedeaf. (and yes a 90s child liked ABBA)

I have heard others hum, others under their breath try to sing along or just do the "la la la" thing, but nothing beats yesterday. There's a group of older gentlemen that always come in early in the morning, work out, and then sit in the "break" area to read the paper and talk. Apparently yesterday a country musician died and one brought a portable boombox, plugged it in, and all 7 men began to sing loudly along with the already loud music. Went on for like an hour, my saving grace was I have earphones that fit so snugly in my ears that even with no music I barely hear anything but my own breathing. I don't know why they weren't told to shut it off aside from the fact none of it had bad language, which is a no-no at my gym. It was basically inconsiderate.

Wow, I cant believe those guys did that. Yeah, that was inconsiderate. IMO
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I go to a pretty small gym and most people only listen to headphones when they are doing cardio, then if you have enough wind to sing, go for it!

I would like to comment about the gym's where people all wear headphones and kind of act like toddlers at the playgound... in thier own world. I personally don't like it, I have met many interesting people at my gym and occasionally shooting the **** with them was not devastating to my work- out, or spotting for someone did not ruin my day. I wonder if people wear the headphones because they are afraid to talk to other people? Maybe they have nothing interesting to say? This has allways turned me off about some of the bigger gyms. Especially when you go about the same time everyday, it is nice to connect to some people, am I wrong about this?
  • TheWinman
    Options
    Good points about having too talk much louder to talk over the noise of the machines. Texting hasn't bothered me since i dont hear the incoming text tones in my gym. I don't even know how they text while working out. I see some of the younger adults/teens cranking away on the eliptical at hyper speed and texting at the same time. Lol

It also depends on the gym's policy with them. Cellphones are not allowed in the strength/cardio area or the weight area though there's a loophole if you have music on your phone or have an app that gives you your workout. The thing with cellphone conversations in a gym, large or small, is the person is having to be loud to be heard over equipment, TVs, others talking, etc and it can be grating. What bothers me more is texting in the gym. It happens a lot in the cardio area since stuff like the stairmaster and bikes and treadmills are hands-free and so if you're not listening to your own music you constantly hear the message alert sound.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If I'm running on the treadmill and I'm close to the end of my workout I'm usually mouthing the words to whatever it is that I'm listening to because it forces me to concentrate on the song instead of on how tired I am. If anyone is singing outloud I probably wouldn't be able to hear it anyways since I blast my music.

LOL... I do the exact same thing!! No shame in that! :)