Anti-runners Starting to run? Anybody?

Options

Replies

• dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    HATE running! I am doing my first 5k in May... sooooo I don;t know if I will ever love it, but I would settle for a love/hate relationship with it..
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention that. I just posted about it on my blog today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shivaslives/view/what-me-run-235218

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My name is Julie and I am an Anti-Runner! :bigsmile: I am also doing C25K but it is going to take me much longer to get through the program. It doesn't help that my run route is really hilly although I am hoping to get some seriously toned legs and glutes out of the deal. Of course they are currently hidden under their protective coating of fat but that is slowly but surely melting away!

I do not enjoy running but I do enjoy eating so... I run.

^^^ HIIIII JULIE! :wink:
    Allison, I'm also a member of the AR club and also doing C25K to prepare for a Mother's Day 5K. I am finishing my first week of training tomorrow. I think the only reason I hate running is b/c it's hard! I've never been good at it, but always wanted to be. I love exercising outside--not really a gym person--so running/jogging seemed like a good idea. I love walking, but running burns more calories! Don't give up! Even if you never love it, you can still add it into your workouts here and there for variety, and who knows, you may be converted!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I never implied that anyone was talking about running only. I was pointing out that Steady-state cardio in large batches is not something one need aspire to if one does not like it already. Why TRY to make yourself like running if you don't? There's very little equity in it.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first triathlon in August. I have 0 training as far as running, endurance goes. I am starting tomorrow and building up walking/jogging adding more each week:)
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Not only was I an anti-runner, but I was afraid to run. I am 5'10", all legs and even my own mother laughed at me when I tried to run. I started C25K in the fall and finished B210K in February and today I completed my second 10k! My time was awful, but it's ok. I did not walk and I did not come in last. I have even signed up for a half marathon in October.

Do I love to run? Not really, sometimes I am still self conscious about how I look. Do I love how I feel after I finish a run? HELL YES! There are not many things in life that feel better!
  • greyt2bfit
    greyt2bfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
  • melissawidmer
    melissawidmer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first 5K in April. I have neer been a runner and completed my first 3 mile run today without stopping. So you can do this!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Omg, I HATED running, no joke. I started running about a month ago because of this zombie app called Zombies, Run!

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

So I've been using that and I like running a lot now! Also, I am getting a bit better at it, so it's a bit better. :D Gooood luck!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I was an athlete all my life, but LOATHED running. This last year, I decided to knock off some pounds and force myself to enjoy running. When I was heavy, it burned a crap load of calories and I started shedding pounds like crazy. Now I'm a little leaner, and am working on HIIT to improve my pace. I absolutely love it now. I feel great physically, and I like the sense of accomplishment when I do a run or improve a personal best. It just took about 6 months of sucking at it and being super slow to get comfortable. Best of luck!
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 1/2 in 3 weeks! It is my first run event! Add me :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd run or enjoy it. Heck, I used to say "The only way I'm running is if they turn the hot and fresh light on at Krispy Kreme".

Now? I LOVE to run. It took some time for my body to get used to doing it, but now I love it. I'm slowly getting back into it after having to stop running after I fell on the ice and hurt my back in Jan 2011. It is a slow process, but I'm getting there and it feels fabulous! :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posts - I hated running, but I've been doing C25k and recently I realised that it doesn't hurt anymore and that the sweat feels like an achievement!! I've started actually looking forward to going out running....which is total madness ;) I've also discovered the benefits of eating mid-morning and mid-afternoon in addition to my meals (when I'm active!!)

Keep at it gal, feel free to add me if you need more support :)
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    I have never loved the idea of running, in fact it was the one thing I hated most but I decided that I needed to stretch myself beyond my comfort zone and really push myself like the previous poster said. I found the C25K program and it has really helped with running and dare I say I'm actually starting to not hate it and enjoy it. Maybe one day it will get to a point where I love running which is crazy because I have always hated it and been so bad at it.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've always hated running. I am on week 7 of c25k and I'm starting to love how I feel when I run. The easier my breathing gets, the more I enjoy it. I hate doing it on the treadmill because I get bored, but love it when I'm outside. I wish there were more running paths around me that I know of.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    HATED RUNNING!!!! My philosophy was if there is not a huge prize at the end why do it. I dropped a bunch of weight and adopted a grey hound mix dog. Suddenly about 2 wks ago I was like hey I want to try that running thing again. You know it hurts because I am still getting into shape but in a good way and it is great bonding with the dog. BTW that huge prize at the end is the last bit of weight I need off to come off. I found my prize worth running for.
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Runner Hater learning to run right here! My dog is a lot of my motivation, tired dog=happy dog=good, non-destructive dog. I've been at it for about 4 weeks now and am slowly starting to flip from hating it to tolerating it to actually looking forward to that time I get to myself. It's getting a lot easier to actually get the shoes on and get going, even after a long day of work. I'd love to be able to do a 5k at somepoint, and even further in the future a small triathalon. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was totally anti-runner! In high school, I would deliberately walk most of the mile run they'd force us into!

And then, about a month and a half ago, I had lost some weight and wanted a new challenge. So I took up the C25K program and haven't looked back. At first, the minute and 90 second jogging intervals were super tough. But I stuck with it, and today I jogged for 20 minutes STRAIGHT and didn't feel like I was gonna pass out, my lungs didn't hurt, and my legs were feeling okay. It is such an accomplishment for me, a person who never felt like I could run!

I am still painfully slow, haha, but I stick with it because I know in time I will get faster! A month ago, 5 minutes straight of running was more than I could bear. And look at me today! :)

Any fellow beginning runners, feel free to add me. I love to motivate fellow runners who are just starting out like myself! :)
  • ELee0517
    ELee0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've never run an entire mile in my whole life. I need to be a bit more in shape, and I'm starting turbofire next week and I think I want to try running...it would be such a great feeling do to like a 5K or something...feel free to add me!
  • Allisonnleigh
    Allisonnleigh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I am also doing the c25k! I start week two tomorrow. I am starting to enjoy it more for sure, I'm actually looking forward to it almost. I enjoy the way I feel afterwards..I think that's what I love most! Feel free to add me, I'm trying to add most of you but I can only add so many at a time!