Picnic for a hike

Options
kyt1206
kyt1206 Posts: 101
My friend and I recently went hiking and we thought about what to bring for lunch that wouldn't make us feel sleepy or tired after eating it but still gave us substantial strength.

We ended up with:

Picnic sushi
Beef Stew
Apple slices
Cherry tomatoes

For the stew, we used a simple recipe of mixed veggies with lean veal. Salted lightly with 4 small red potatoes. We each had a cup, it was around 150 calories.

For the sushi, we cut out the rice. What we did bring was:
1 small avocado - split between the both of us
a pack of imitation crab - total of 420 cal (we only managed to clear off 1/4 of it between the two of us before we declared ourselves stuffed)
1 pack of nori
1 cup of shredded carrots
1 cup of shredded daikon (radish) [feel free to shred whatever fresh veggies you like for sushi]
10% mirin mixed in water

While we were out there, we just pulled out a sheet of nori, put some mirin mixture on there very lightly, softened up the nori enough to wrap then put our fresh shredded veggies on top with a few crab sticks(2 or 3) and slices of avocado then wrapped it up like a burrito. It was a California roll/burrito sushi thing. After about 3 of those and the soup with a few tomatoes we were good to go. The apple slices really helped replenish our sugar for the rest of the hike. Overall it was a very enjoyable trip. The cool sushi also was good in the heat, we had other hikers stop and ask us how to make it so I thought I'd share it here too. :)

Replies

• Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good ideas! I like to make mini crustless quiches for picnics and then take a loaf of bread, fruit, cheese and dip. Except you do need to keep things cool which is annoying on longer hikes.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I miss sushi. I'm going to have to give this a try.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    I had an insulated lunch bag with me and 3 hours into the hike there was still ice in my baggie that I put in there with the crab. We used it to ice down our water bottles. With insulation that ice lasted a while.

Another bonus of using pre-cooked seafood such as imitation crab or cooked shrimp - you can bring it frozen with you with a bag of ice, by the time it thaws out it's lunch time :)