Raised calories to my BMR and gained ~ HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    So from what I've gathered from the boards is you should eat at least your BMR. So I raised my calorie intake to my BMR instead of what MFP had me on. I was stuck for a week at the same weight eating what MFP had me on. I raised and now I have gained weight.

"stuck for a week" should not be an indicator of needing to neither increase nor decrease anything, IMO. A week is not a plateau.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that will help you understand why you aren't losing eating below BMR:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So from what I've gathered from the boards is you should eat at least your BMR. So I raised my calorie intake to my BMR instead of what MFP had me on. I was stuck for a week at the same weight eating what MFP had me on. I raised and now I have gained weight.

I still worked out and drank my water (not as much I was at the lower calories) I stuffed myself trying to eat that many calories my BMR is supposed to be.

Anyone suggestions???

It might take up to 3-4 weeks before your body adjusts, just keep doing it nd the lbs will start dropping.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    People... could you please try these things for at least a couple of weeks before freaking out! Scales are NOT indicative of fat loss or gain.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I was at a two year plateau before. Lost 18 on a diet I couldn't stick with. Gained back 22. Now 1.5 lbs away from where I was for 2 years. I double check it has been over a week I've been stuck at where I am now. My days run together :smile:

Again I just want to see the scale drop some. Some each week would be great over a week then I worry. I am trying to understand how to do this healthy. My doctor suggested a weight loss plan and I gained the 22 in 3 months on that.

Bottom line I just want to be at a healthy weight again. Can't seem to figure out the code to it.

Thanks everyone for your input.
  • mtcHavingItAll
    mtcHavingItAll Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was at a two year plateau before. Lost 18 on a diet I couldn't stick with. Gained back 22. Now 1.5 lbs away from where I was for 2 years. I double check it has been over a week I've been stuck at where I am now. My days run together :smile:

Again I just want to see the scale drop some. Some each week would be great over a week then I worry. I am trying to understand how to do this healthy. My doctor suggested a weight loss plan and I gained the 22 in 3 months on that.

Bottom line I just want to be at a healthy weight again. Can't seem to figure out the code to it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Again, a couple weeks is not a plateau either, and don't expect to see losses on the scale every day. There are lots of people on here that go a week or two with no loss or even some that experience a gain. Does not mean you need to just automatically eat more just because you did not move. What will you be thinking if you follow all the advice on here to eat more and see movement on the scale in the wrong direction?

Are you taking measurements too? You just joined MFP this month according to your profile. I would suggest just doing what MFP has listed for you for a little while. The advice of "eat more" can happen after a couple weeks if measurement and weight does not change.

edit - also look at your macro nutritents - are you logging EVERYTHING? Are you weighing your portions out or just estimating?
  • babybelle2
    babybelle2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Can some one worked mine out I'm really confused an I'm not losing so I think I need to get this sorted.

My bmr 1299
    My tdee 1927

So what should my daily cals be?
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    People... could you please try these things for at least a couple of weeks before freaking out! Scales are NOT indicative of fat loss or gain.

No disrespect but sometimes when we are new and looking for info and answers we simply don't know. When we ask and learn we can then do better! We didn't all wake up being as all knowing as you are, so don't be rude to people seeking information and help...that's just not ok!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Can some one worked mine out I'm really confused an I'm not losing so I think I need to get this sorted.

My bmr 1299
    My tdee 1927

Which site did you get your TDEE from (they all use basically the same math but some give you a number with a deficit already baked in). From your numbers, it looks like the include the deficit.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options

No disrespect but sometimes when we are new and looking for info and answers we simply don't know. When we ask and learn we can then do better! We didn't all wake up being as all knowing as you are, so don't be rude to people seeking information and help...that's just not ok!

^^this - we all need help and support. If you don't ask then your left worrying about it. I say speak up - if you don't want to spare your time giving any productive comments then don't.

With respect to the original question, don't worry. I started off with my calorie goal at 1200, so I would of course eat under that to be 'under my calorie goal', I did lose at the beginning - but remember this is generally excess water that we lose in the first 3-4 weeks of any diet. After that it will slow down as it should be the fat that you are losing. I did at that point up mine calorie goal to my BMR which is 1580, I therefore decided I would eat minimum of 1200 and maximum of 1580. I do generally eat to the higher allowance. I did notice a plateau for a few weeks, a gain, a loss, a plateau, etc etc This is what is happening to my body, BUT the tape measure is a little kinder; although that isn't always budging, again BUT my clothes are loser and I'm becoming more toned.

Bascially aim to eat between 1200 minimum and your BMR as a maximum, and eat your exercise calories, your body needs the fuel! You may not notice a difference on the scales or on the tape measure but perservere and you will notice a change in your body.

Good luck. x
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Ok - not sure whether he will kill me or not but this guy really helped me with my numbers Helloitsdan

Look him up and also read his post "In place of a road map!"

Hopefully this will clear up any questions, concerns etc you have. Good luck. x
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Honestly hun you really do need to eat more. I'm eating an average of 2300 cals/day....I run and lift heavy weights...and I'm losing an average of a pound a week. We really do need to fuel our bodies and teach them that they don't have to hold onto every pound of fat. Some easy ways to get up the cals are natural peanut butter, almond butter, olive oil, nuts & seeds, avocados and a good protein powder you can add to smoothies (a couple of the smoothies I make are over 500 cals once I've added everything to it). And I agree with the above posters...you have to give it time and then your body will thank you!
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It happened to me. I raised to my BMR and gained 2 pounds. Then I started losing again.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ This is a good site to find out what you need to eat to lose fat. If you find out your body fat % using this link http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ the find your BMR using the first link I gave you you will see a chart that tells you how much to eat according to your activity levels to see a nice steady safe weight loss. Check it out and see what it says. Either way you need to give it longer than a month to see if it works for you. You should take your measurements too. You will see your body fat % drop this way and will need to recalculate your numbers as your body fat % drops.

Per this i need to eat 1847. Just trying to eat 1598 made me so sick I thought I was going to get sick.

It says 1847 on rest days, but you can decrease that by 300 calories to lose weight, right? That gives you 1547.

However, when you say you are "stuffing yourself", what does that mean?

Do you feel you are "stuffing yourself" because you used to eat so little? Or are you waiting to eat most of your calories until dinner, so it feels like you are "stuffing yourself because it is so much in one sitting? Or are you miscounting what you are eating, so you are literally stuffing yourself?

1600 calories really isn't that much. Although it may feel like it, you are not "stuffing yourself" to hit it. One way to reach it without feeling like you are "stuffing yourself" is to cut out the "diet food". Don't eat fat free/reduced fat foods. Make sure you are getting at least 2 tsps. of healthy fats each day like olive oil, canola oil, etc. Eat peanut butter and yogurt (not fat free) and cheese (not fat free). If you want an oreo, eat the oreo (not the reduced fat oreo). You will see the calories add up quickly. With this advice, make sure you are still getting at least 5 servings of fruit/vegetables a day.

And finally, as others have said, give it at least a few weeks before you decided whether it is working or not. Also, measure yourself. Inches are more important than pounds. A 120 pound woman can look like she weighs more than a 135 pound woman simply because the 120 pound woman has a greater % of body fat.

Good luck. I know it's a long, hard journey.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

My bmr 1299
    My tdee 1927

To lose weight, you should eat at least your BMR (1299) but no more than your TDEE (1927). The general advice is 80% of your TDEE (1541). Sometimes is TDEE-500 (1427). Both numbers are above your BMR, so either should be fine.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    . Thanks to everyone really. But to jaxxie & ChristineDiet thanks for getting it. I am new to all this and I am trying to do it healthy this time. I just don't understand and wanted to get some clarification. Just was asking for input not put down. I have no one to support me who has gone thru this or understands these things. Heck even my doctor just told me to join a famous weight loss group and after 3 months of confusing diets I gained the 22 lbs. And why you can eat real foods with them their system of counting was not something I could easily transfer into my "real" life. I am hoping this will help and I am hoping to get the encouragement and the help in understanding not only what I need to do but how. I know few if any or doctors and such on here. But we all are in the same boat so to speak. If not now we have been there. So just asking for the encouragement. Again thank you all who have answered. I is appreciated.
  • insights2
    insights2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Took me 3-4 weeks to start losing. Also, be sure to take measurements. I lost 24 inches even though I thought the numbers on the scale should be moving faster.