Peanut flour

Options
pdworkman
pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
I picked up some peanut flour at an African grocery store today. No nutritional facts on the package. From Rwanda. Can anyone help me figure out whether this is defatted or partially defatted peanut flour? I'm trying to figure out the calories and fat grams before I use it!

Replies

• wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    what's the consistency? is it pb2ish at all? defatted is really really dry, but will reconstitute with about a 1:1 ratio with water, but at a seemingly smaller portion than you'd expect.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    We don't get PB2 here, so I can't compare.

If I rub it between thumb and finger it doesn't leave an oily residue on my fingers.

It does not reconstitute at 1:1. Just makes sort of a slurry. 2:1 is closer to peanut butter texture, but doesn't look anything like peanut butter.

It is white with brown specks.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what you have is raw peanut flour. I believe pb2 is roasted before they defat it. Nutritional info should be the same but I can't guarantee. Sounds like it would be delicious for baking with.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    From what I am reading, it will be a very mild flavour when raw; I am hoping I'll be able to use it in place of almond flour in a lot of those grain-free recipes that I have had to skip over until now. And then to intensify the flavour, I would need to roast it. In the oven like granola or on the stove top like a roux or spice mix? Some experimenting coming up!

Since it is so dry and non-oily, I'm going to guess that it is a 12% fat rather than 28%.