Still Confused About How Many Calories to Eat

Options
I've been reading different sites about how many calories to eat in order to continually lose weight. I'm really an intelligent person, but each sites tells me completely different things and it's become mind-numbing. I don't know who to believe.

Basic info: My intermediate goal is to lose 72 more pounds. I am fairly sedentary and work out 2-3 times a week for 30-60 minutes (on the average) either walking, Wii Tennis or Wii Bowling. I joined MFP on 2/28/12 and have lost a whopping 4.4 pounds. (Prior to joining MFP, I was on WW and lost 13.6 pounds since 1/2/12).

For the first couple of weeks, I ate what MFP advised (1540) and lost 3.2 pounds. The following 2 weeks I gained 6.2 (I swear, I was eating healthy!) So, I lowered my calories to 1450 and lost 5.2, then re-upped to 1540 and lost 1.6. And that's where I am today.

MFP says I should eat 1540/daily calories in order to lose 2 pounds per week.
Fat2Fit says my BMR is 2022.
FitnessFrog says my TDEE is 2780.

I'm not sure whose formula to use or believe. Am I eating enough calories? Am I eating too many? I'm getting a bit discouraged that the scale is moving at a drunken snail's pace. I really want to see consistent weight loss. (I don't have PMS/monthly issues, and I take a diuretic for water retention).

Thank you in advance for your assistance in helping me to figure this out!

Replies

• TerrJohns
    TerrJohns Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been following the formula where you multiply your BMR by 1.2 (because I'm sedentary) then I subtract 500 from that each day. Since it 3500 cal equal 1lb the 500 x 7 days equals 1lb to lose ea week.
    I could deduct another 250 a day that would make it 1 1/2 a week but next week I'm going to start at try to exercise off addl 3500 instead of deducting them from my eating.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Bump