Thoughts? *rant

Options
Anyaaaa11
Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
I don't want to offend anyone with what I have to say.. I just want opinions.

I really don't get why some people can honestly say their full off 800 calories. If your on
here to lose weight, clearly you were eating more than that to gain weight..
If anything wouldn't you be even hungerier from restricting so much. It just really frustrates
me to see people say their full off such a small amount. Personal opinion, I think their lying to
Themselves.

Sure there might be exceptions.. but what do you think?
Everytime I see something like this, I delete them.

Replies

• akd001
    akd001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have to exercise just to avoid going over....
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry as a rule. I gained weight out of forcing myself to eat (I was underweight for years and overshot when I finally decided to do something about it) and later I ate out of boredom. Plus the things I ate were not exactly heathy. Even so, I only needed to lose 10 pounds tops.

So I don't mind when people say they don't get hungry. It wasn't unusual for me in the past to go a couple days without eating anything at all. *shrug*
  • BLy82
    BLy82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Being absolutely honest, it does happen to me.

When I'm eating healthier food and keeping track of what I'm eating, I sometimes get to the end of the day at something like 700-900 calories and don't really feel hungry at all. Usually I'll find something nutritious that I can force myself to eat to get to a more reasonable number for the day. Sometimes I'll just make a note to eat more calories at breakfast than I normally would the following day to help keep things from getting too far out of balance.

Keep in mind that when people are eating extremely high numbers of calories, they're usually eating food that is very calorie dense and very nutrient poor. If you change around the nature of your diet substantially rather than purely focusing on the calorie #'s, the level of hunger does tend to adjust to some degree alongside it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    they walk among us
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I want to add that while I didn't eat for days in the past, I don't think I could do that now. Your body gets used to things. I'm now used to eating at certain times of the day. So my body tells me it's time to eat.

If you don't eat for a long time, then your body stops asking for food. And under those circumstances, it doesn't much like it when you do feed it. It's not an easy thing to overcome so have some sympathy for those people.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat when my body tells me it's hungry. I try not to deprive myself. But I don't overdo it.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    All of you make a pretty good point. I get the part about eating
    Healthier and resulting in lower calories but what about the people that eat relatively healthy
    And they start dieting and are full off a severely low amount. People that have 60lbs to lose
    should not be eating that little.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree people shouldn't be eatng that little but depends on their life situation for me, I was working 2 jobs both managing positions in the day and night I literally had no breaks. I never really ate. But that's why I'm here reteaching and relearning how to eat :)
  • skyocom
    skyocom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    From what I have read eating fewer than the recommended daily calories for yourself sends your body into starvation mode and makes your metabolic rate lower causing weight gain. I have had days that at the end I've only hit 900 calories or a little more and haven't been hungry. Although, I think my problem stems from drinking 2 to 3 gallons of water daily so 8 feel full, but calorie-wise I'm not.
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Some days I don't want to eat much and I don't get hungry at all. I don't force myself because most days I want to pig out big time....
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, sometimes I feel the same way. However there a couple of things to consider.

Like a few people have already pointed out, when people join MFP they often commit to healthier lifestyles - sometimes eliminating processed and calorie-dense foods altogether. So someone who ate McDonalds for 3 meals a day could gain weight from that, then join MFP and eat the same actual AMOUNT of food but mostly fruits/veggies and end up with under 1000 cals a day. Also keep in mind that a lot of these people didn't exercise in the past and now exercise almost daily. So they may be eating as much as they used to but NETTING under 1000 after exercise. I've seen people on here that burn crazy amounts of cals exercising; there's no way they can eat all that back. Thus they end up full on a low amount of net calories.

Also I know that some days for me, if I wake up late and don't have time to eat breakfast or something, I'll then eat a regular-sized lunch and maybe a smaller dinner if I'm still full from lunch. Next thing I know it's bedtime, I'm full, and I'm only at like 800 calories for the day. Whoops.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have problems with depression so some days I won't eat hardly nothingg, the next day I binge.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You really can't judge people based on what their body tells them. You don't choose to feel hungry, and they don't choose to have no hunger signals. I have a friend who's suffering an extreme case of this, on top of chronic fatigue which sends her into a vicious circle of not enough sleep or food, and not enough energy to cook.

Some people get more hunger signals than others, it isn't a choice. It's partly metabolism, partly what your body has been used to as a lifestyle, and partly the choice of foods you use to fill yourself - as people have said, switching from junk to healthy food can mean less calories but a fuller sensation.

One of the biggest things to learn at MFP is not to judge people, because everybody's different and everyone's goal is to improve. There will always be misguided or foolish people, but you can tell whether it's ignorance or stubbornness fairly quickly.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    800 calories of the 'right' kind of food is a heap more food than eating lots more calories of the 'wrong' kind of food.

Think about it. For lunch you can have one sausage roll at 467calories or you can have a huge tuna salad for under 200 calories.

disclaimer: I am not advocating eating only 800 calories daily.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ehhh. I do find by eating the RIGHT things, I am less hungry eating less than I used to be by eating more. Do I ever just eat 800 calories? Only the day I had oral surgery and was on serious pain meds for the day and the anaesthesia had not fully worn off... I wasn't hungry that day and I ate nothing... None-the-less, on a normal day, I eat much less than I used to and often am not hungry -- sometimes I am but restrict my eating to a reasonable level anyway. One factor to consider is that the processed foods such as "snack foods", "snack cakes", "chips", "etc... contain a wide variety of preservatives... many of these are known to be appetite enhancers... Therefore, you get a quick fix for hunger and 30 minutes later are hungry again... Being the suspicious person that I am capable of being, no doubt, there is a bit more than just wanting to "preserve" their foods for longer shelf life going on here. By eating plant and animal based foods, we are far less likely to cave into these trends. :happy:
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    When I consumed more calories I was drinking a ton of alcohol which made me eat more. Now I don't drink.....actually I had two beers last weekend and two glasses of wine over a month ago but that is about it. Before I could drink 6 beers a night. That is about 700 calories a night. Yeah I know, I had a drinking problem. Things change when you have kids. Then when you have kids you eat a bunch of processed junk that is high in calories like a small fry and cheeseburger which is like 600 calories. Which is half of what I should be having a day now. I still eat the same amount of food now it just is lower calories then what I am used to.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Weight can also be put on quite easily by eating very little of the wrong foods and not exercising at all....
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I would have been in the same boat with you as far as not understanding how people get full at 800 calories.

However, this past week there has been a streak of days where I just had no desire to eat and would look at my calorie intake and find that I was only 400-800 calories! It was strange because I wasn't hungry not even after working out. I have had to force myself to eat during these days.

I attribute this to just being overly stressed and having gone through a very emotional week. So while I am still overweight and got to be this way because of poor choices and emotional eating ... I now seem to have flipped to the other side and have no desire to eat when I'm emotional or stressed.

Having said all that, I don't imagine this would be something I could sustain or would want to sustain. So for those who consistently eat and consciously choose to eat this low ... I would say that they have an eating disorder at the least or something more serious going on.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Anya I've posted about this before too, I don't really believe it either. People that say they got really overweight from undereating??!! I always think they must conveniently forget a lot the food they eat, I had a friend like that.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    stress, and hormones are defantly part of it...for me atleast,... sometimes id' be good off 500 net other times id' be way over and still hungery. since i started jogging i have been much more "evan" i guess you would call it, with my calories.
    and when i see people that have REALY low cal. intakes i just remind myself that its not for me to judge their diets, mine is way screwed up to!:drinker:

also when i say "id' be good off 500 net, im not doing anything, exersize wise, just sitting at home watching my girls.:smile: