Targeting certain areas...

Options
I have a question..I've lost 9lbs since earlier this month. I'm glad about it...don't get me wrong..but I want to lose weight in my buttocks/thighs area :embarassed: ..I see a difference in my tummy area (which is a bit flatter..but I didn't consider it to be a huge problem)...but I see no difference in the areas I'd like to see the difference in..maybe I'm doing the wrong exercises. I started the 30 day shred, but then left that after a few days to do Zumba/walking daily. I plan to go back to the shred though..any thoughts? Tips? Oh, my gosh please help :frown: Any info/opinions is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, so so sorry, but you can't spot reduce. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and exercise.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I've heard there is no such thing as spot reducing exercises. If you aren't already- start taking measurements. Even if you don't SEE a difference in an area you may be losing inches there. Congrats on the weight loss so far by the way.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Regarding weight not coming off evenly, it probably is. It's just easier to see on the areas that don't need it as much.

Picture two piles of sand next to each other on the ground. One pile is an inch high. The other pile is 10 inches high. Now take 1/2 an inch off of both piles and stand back and take a look. The previously one-inch high pile will look markedly shorter - it's 50% of its former height. The now 9.5-inch pile will likely look much the same to your eye as it did before because it's 95% of its original height.

You'll get there - it just will take a little longer for the bigger areas to look smaller to you. But if you're losing, trust that you are losing from all over.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Regarding weight not coming off evenly, it probably is. It's just easier to see on the areas that don't need it as much.

Picture two piles of sand next to each other on the ground. One pile is an inch high. The other pile is 10 inches high. Now take 1/2 an inch off of both piles and stand back and take a look. The previously one-inch high pile will look markedly shorter - it's 50% of its former height. The now 9.5-inch pile will likely look much the same to your eye as it did before because it's 95% of its original height.

You'll get there - it just will take a little longer for the bigger areas to look smaller to you. But if you're losing, trust that you are losing from all over.

what a great way to look at it!
  • CRVDiva
    CRVDiva Posts: 104
    Options
    I think I know what you mean, I carry my weight in my butt, thighs and hips. I have been doing the Shaun T. Insanity DVDs and I've found that since I've been doing a lot of squat and lunge variations in his workouts, I am losing inches in those areas. I'm not an expert, just sharing what has been working for me.

I hope this helps.
  • armywifeandmom
    armywifeandmom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your honest opinions and advice. I'm going to start measuring myself..and trust that I must be losing some in the spots that need it most! :smile: