Dark chocolate-coated hazel-coconut protein bars (gluten fre

Options
snugglesworthjr
snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
hazelnut.jpg

I was at my local organic/specialty foods store and saw some hazelnut meal on sale. I'd never made anything with hazelnut meal before so I decided to buy some and try it out. Welcome to this recipe!

1 cup Optimum Nutrition 100% vanilla-flavored whey
1/2 cup hazelnut meal
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp Betta Sweet (natural 0-calorie sweetener. can sub with real sugar or splenda, just add an extra 1/2 tbsp)
1/2 cup rice milk (can sub with any other type of milk)

10 squares 70% dark chocolate

Mix everything together except for the chocolate. Wet your hands a little and form the mixture into bars. Put them in the fridge. Place a shallow glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. Place the chocolate into the bowl and let it melt. Once it's melted, take the bars out of the fridge and dip them into the chocolate, coating each side of the bars. Stick them in the freezer, pump some iron, dig into the protein bars!

These were an explosion of yumminess! The hazelnut meal really adds a depth of flavor that was just beautiful. In retrospect, I think I would have toasted the hazelnut meal to get that extra BOOM. These bars are intensely coconut-y, but if you don't love coconut like I do then you can replace the shredded coconut with more rolled oats and life will be good again :)

Makes 13 bars
Per bar:
116 calories
8.8g carbs
7.6g protein
6.1g fat

Replies

• munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    OMFG THEY LOOK AMAZING JEN!
  • Sunny_CA
    Sunny_CA Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump! Yummy!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I did have some 70% choc today. Just not with the rest of that goodness. Could you make me a plate? :wink: Just kidden. Looks great.
    hazelnut.jpg

I was at my local organic/specialty foods store and saw some hazelnut meal on sale. I'd never made anything with hazelnut meal before so I decided to buy some and try it out. Welcome to this recipe!

1 cup Optimum Nutrition 100% vanilla-flavored whey
    1/2 cup hazelnut meal
    1/4 cup oat bran
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    3 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 tbsp Betta Sweet (natural 0-calorie sweetener. can sub with real sugar or splenda, just add an extra 1/2 tbsp)
    1/2 cup rice milk (can sub with any other type of milk)

10 squares 70% dark chocolate

Mix everything together except for the chocolate. Wet your hands a little and form the mixture into bars. Put them in the fridge. Place a shallow glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. Place the chocolate into the bowl and let it melt. Once it's melted, take the bars out of the fridge and dip them into the chocolate, coating each side of the bars. Stick them in the freezer, pump some iron, dig into the protein bars!

These were an explosion of yumminess! The hazelnut meal really adds a depth of flavor that was just beautiful. In retrospect, I think I would have toasted the hazelnut meal to get that extra BOOM. These bars are intensely coconut-y, but if you don't love coconut like I do then you can replace the shredded coconut with more rolled oats and life will be good again :)

Makes 13 bars
    Per bar:
    116 calories
    8.8g carbs
    7.6g protein
    6.1g fat
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, looks yummy!
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the yummy recipe! I am not eating oats because they are a grain but I will see if I can monkey with the recipe to still make it work. Yum!
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    holy hell - bump!
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So I gave it a shot to make some that are Paleo friendly. They are so amazingly good!!

Ingredients

Throw all these in the food processer:

Fresh Ground Almond Butter, 8 tablespoons
    Bob's Red Mill - All Natural Whey Protein Concentrate, 1 cup (20g)
    Splenda - Sweetener - 2 Packet
    Let's Do Organic - Coconut Flour, 8 Tablespoons
    Bob's Red Mill - Shredded Unsweetened Coconut, 60 g (3 T)
    Way Healthier - Organic Coco Nibs, 30 grams
    Currants - Zante, dried, 36 g (1/4 C)
    Dried Cranberries - Apple Juice Sweetened, 1/3 cup

Once its all throughly processed add the milk.

Coconut Dream - Unsweetened - Coconut Milk, 0.5 cup 30

Chill dough for 30 minutes. After chilled it won't be so sticky. One hefty spoonful at a time roll the dough in your hands forming a ball, then a rod and flatten on wax paper into a bar shape. Chill for 20 minutes.

In a microwave safe bowl microwave the following ingrediantes for 15 seconds on high. Stir and repeat 15 secs of cooking and stiring until smooth.

Trader Joe's - Dark Chocolate Pound Plus, 7 Squares
    Trader Joe's - Heavy Whipping Cream, 2 tbsp

When smooth texture add cocoa powder. This makes it richer and higher cocoa content for maximum antioxidants!

Trader Joe's - Cocoa Powder Unsweetened, 1 tbsp (5g)

Spoon a small amount (1 Tsp) of melted chocolate mixure and spread on dough bar to cover one surface. Chill for 10 minutes and then flip and repeat chocolate layer on the other side. Chill for 10 minutes. They are now ready to enjoy! Oh so yummy!!

I made smaller bars that were a heafty tablespoon of dough and it made 24 bars

Per Serving: Cals 118 Carbs 9 Fat 7 Protein 5 Sugars 5 Fiber 3
  • happygirl338
    Options
    Thank you!