Learning to run

Options
I've never been an athlete, and now at thirty, I'm trying to learn to run. I've been at it a few weeks. At first, I could only run a block or two, but then I realized I wasn't pushing myself. I realized I could run a mile without walking and that's what I've been doing. I've been running a mile 4-6 days a week for about two weeks. I don't see any improvements with my breathing (heavy/labored), time (about 11 minutes), or stamina. The first time I finished the mile, I felt like it was as far as I could go and the last time I finished the mile I felt like it was as far as I could go. I want to get up to at least three miles but preferably five in the next two months. I've heard I should start doing sprints to help with that, but I'm kind of unsure how far/long for the sprinting part. Can anyone offer advice on how I can lengthen the distance I run? Thanks

Replies

• Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm doing couch to 5k which is a nine week program to train you from being a couch potato to running 5k (3 miles) in 30 mins. I'm only on run 3 week 2 but I'm finding my stamina is definately improving and lots of people on mfp have completed it and can now run 5k.

Maybe you should try that. Good luck.
  • simples88
    simples88 Posts: 51
    Options
    For me the c25k 12 week training plan didn't go at my pace (I found I wanted and could do more) I'm just in the last few weeks of following the training plan on Athleta.com instead which is an 8week training plan which I started at week 4. May be helpful for you. It also has a 5k to 10k plan too for the future.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi I am also learning to run. Like you I do a mile in 11 mins. But I then keep going and do intermitent walk/run. I use my stop watch to log running time and find that each time my total running time is a bit better. I am now at 23 mins accumulated running time. Hope this suggestion is of help. Good luck.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    it does get easier. c25k is a great starting point too.

just keep doing it and you will get faster, and stronger, and leaner.
  • chub_b_gone
    chub_b_gone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Run your butt off is a book that I used to start running..its again interval training so you run for x amount of minutes and then walk a so on..if you want to do sprints its usually starting with a 20 or 30 second sprint and then a jog or walk for 1 minute and continue for about 30 minutes as you progress your sprint should increase to a full minute..you can also use an elliptical to increase indurance using resistance or spin class will do the same..you can also use incline on the treadmill but do not hold on to the treadmill bc it takes the weight off your legs if you cant keep up slow your speed..
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k is a good program that many people have used. Another option if you have a decent sized hill near you - which I have found helpful - is to take a brisk walk up the hill every day and run down. As you improve, keep running on the flat when you get to the bottom, to extend the duration. Aim to keep your heart rate up to a level of comfortable exertion both uphill and down and - without pushing it too much - you'll find your aerobic fitness will improve. One thing I've learnt the hard way: wear good running shoes and don't increase your distance or speed by too much at once, or you'll be prone to injuries such as stress fractures.
  • laangelitalokita
    laangelitalokita Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking that I have to run and walking is failing. I don't mind being told that I'm wrong. That it's okay to walk a few minutes and then run again. I think I'm gonna try this new method out when I get off work in the morning!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k here, it really does improve your stamina, and it's SO odd because each time you "up" a level you think there's no way you can do it cos you only just made it through the previous one - and then BAM you do it! It's a great programme for making you feel a great sense of achievement :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it may be as simple as not going yourself the single mile as your goal. I find that when I'm running to a set distance or a set time, I can feel myself getting into finishing mode as I near the end of the distance or time. And I'll do a three mile run and feel like by 2.5 miles in I'm ready to be done and my body is finished when the run finishes. But my long runs are double digit runs, so I clearly know that my body can go way, way farther.

I even have the same thing happening when I lift. If I tell myself I want to get to seven reps or to 10 reps, then it'll feel like a struggle to hit that number. But if I just don't focus on a particular number and start lifting, I'll go past that amount of reps before I break.

So the next time you go for a run, don't tell yourself you're only doing a mile, just go out and run and see how far you can go before your body truly tells you that it needs to stop and can't keep going.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate the C25k suggestion. The 9 week program really helps with stamina and getting you running.
    I'm the same way, I've never been a runner, but I've tried so many times over the years. I've tried doing it on my own, I got to a mile and ended up giving up in the end b/c I couldn't get past 1 mile. Now I'm working on running for 20 minutes straight, which is seriously the most I've ever been able to run! I know my breathing and stamina has improved.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The first couple of lines of the OP could have been me (except substitute 50 for 30).

I built up my stamina (and am still working on it) using the walk / run method. If you're already running a mile try taking a 1 minute walk break after 10 minutes and then (slowly) run another 10 minutes. Focus more or time and relaxed breathing than distance - 11 minute miles may not sound fast but when you're first starting out that may be overreaching a bit.

Run every 2nd day, use the days in between to cross train (swimming, biking, strength) and once per week start building some intervals into your run - I started of by running my regular pace and then speeding up between two telephone poles.

Have fun!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You can run a 11 min mile! That is great, and it has only been 2 weeks.

To go further, increase you mileage no more than 10% each week. Start off a little slower than you think you should be and run further....build endurance first, speed comes second.

Mix up your runs...one run fast but short distance, next run do intervals, next long and slow, next tempo run, next really slow and long...etc...do not run more than 2 days in a row until you build your endurance.

Strength train too...add in squats, lunges, walking lunges, calf raises, box jumps, push ups, tricep dips, planks etc...or use weight training if you have a gym membership...it builds strength in your legs, sore and arms to help power thur your runs.

On your days off from running, cross train...ride a bicycle, take a ftiness class, jump rope, etc....it will help build your cardio.

Running endurance and speed takes time, if you keep at it you will improve...some days running you will feel great, other days you will feel like justgetting it done...celebrate small victories and the big ones will come!

Keep a running log, you will surprised at how much you will improve
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking that I have to run and walking is failing. I don't mind being told that I'm wrong. That it's okay to walk a few minutes and then run again. I think I'm gonna try this new method out when I get off work in the morning!

Check out Hal Hidgeon - he teaches a walk/run method even for those doing marathon/half marathons. It is NOT failing to walk while you are out running. You are off the couch!!!! DH did a half marathon this past weekend and there were a LOT of people doing the walk/run method. Run 5 minutes/walk 1 minute. Mind you the walk is not a stroll but done at a very brisk pace. Good job for getting out there!
  • jeremy_c
    jeremy_c Posts: 21
    Options
    Even if you think you can do more, stick with a program. Your muscles, tendons and bones are not use to running and it takes time to build those areas of your body. Your cardiovascular system will increase at a greater pace giving you the illusion you can do more, but the rest of your body probably isn't keeping up. As one commenter said, never increase your running distance by more than 10% a week. Resist the urge. Running beyond that and injuring yourself, which is very likely if you over train, will do you no good. Work hard and then wind up sitting on the side lines for many weeks is frustrating and *very* counter productive.

I'd highly recommend using the Couch to 5k program that many people have offered up. Again, it can not be stressed enough, stick with a program, do not over train especially for a new runner.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options

By no means is walking failing!!! Running is a cumulative exercise by all means. As you continue to run longer (either by time or distance) you will build endurance and condition your legs and lungs to handle more in the future. Most people that have picked up running in their adult years that have moved on to racing will tell you that they started out the same - a little running and walking and repeating until the distance is where it needs to be. They they add speed training, etc.

I see this quote all of the time, and it is true: "The hardest step for a runner to take is the first step out of the door". This is true - if you can get out of the door, you can run. Keep on doing it a little at a time, and before you know it, you will be running 5 or 6 miles on a run continuously at an 8 minute pace :wink:
  • laangelitalokita
    laangelitalokita Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. I started the Couch 2 5k training program. I've also convinced a half a dozen coworkers to run with me! It's definately better running in a group. We motivate each other and then better runners keep the slower ones going. We work nights and run together in the morning. This morning we did our first two miles as a group. We've also signed up for 2 5ks this summer! I never would have thought I'd say something like that a year ago. Thanks again!